BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024

Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!

Installation & update
About program installation and update, hardware, operating systems, setup, etc.

8.1 Archiving to previous versions

Anonymous
Not applicable
I have just found that it is virtually impossible to export 8.1 file to any of the previous versions, including 8.0. This is a serious problem. I was one of the strongest ArchiCAD features, why are we loosing it?
8 REPLIES 8
Jacek
Contributor
TRIBU wrote:
I have just found that it is virtually impossible to export 8.1 file to any of the previous versions, ..
We are not losing anything.
You have an option to Save As and at the bottom of the window tick the marker to expose a whole range of options, including: 8.0, 7.0 6.5 etc...
Jacek
jacek lisiewicz
----------------------------------------------
arkhos-tekton, architects
carmichael, ca

Mac OS X 10.15.5
IMac Retina 5K, Intel Core I7
32 GIG Memory, AMD Radeon R9
ArchiCAD 24
Djordje
Ace
Jacek wrote:
TRIBU wrote:
I have just found that it is virtually impossible to export 8.1 file to any of the previous versions, ..
We are not losing anything.
You have an option to Save As and at the bottom of the window tick the marker to expose a whole range of options, including: 8.0, 7.0 6.5 etc...
Is the problem saving a file or an archive?

If an archive, then yes, it cannot be saved in an older version. Single projects go without problems - except the library used, which is not backwards compatible, of course.
Djordje

ArchiCAD since 4.55 ... 1995
HP Omen
Anonymous
Not applicable
It is .PLA Archive problem.
Djordje
Ace
TRIBU wrote:
It is .PLA Archive problem.
Well, as the PLA contains all the library parts, which are not backwards compatible, I don't see a way to do it, except to save the file to whatever old version is needed, open it in that version, and load the approapriate library, and THEN archive.

May be one for the wishlist? Although, the logical lack of backward compatibility is the main obstacle.
Djordje

HP Omen
Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi:

My problem is similar. I switch to AC8.1 and now I don't have the old libraries. In a TeamWork project we missed all our old libraries. How can I load it back? Why the 8.1 doesn't came with all the libraries as version 8 (7 lib for AC 8 lib, etc.)
Djordje
Ace
YA.H.VE wrote:
My problem is similar. I switch to AC8.1 and now I don't have the old libraries.
You do. If you did not wipe the 6.5 7 etc off, they are still where you originally installed them and the file should know where - that is, if you have not moved them around.

You can always reinstall them from the original installation CDs. Best way (as Matthew Loden in detail explains elsewhere) is to save the old versions as PLAs and use them as library sources.
Djordje

HP Omen
Anonymous
Not applicable
Oh! I see, thanks God I keep a copy of all libraries in the Network. My problem now is a new message:

Warning! The Cache Library could not be fully synchronized with the source Library. Please check the Report Window for details.

There's a way to send this report to some Tech. Support to tell me what I'm doing wrong?

P.D. This is a TW file
Anonymous
Not applicable
The quick and easy answer is to change your cache library settings. In File > Library Manager click the button in the lower left.

The easy thing is to simply turn the cache library off. If you want to keep it you will either need to check the report to identify the conflicts or move the current cache library (which forces ArchiCAD to regenerate it) and see if everything still works properly.

I recommend just not using cache libraries for now. The performance over a network was abysmal in AC8.0 and I hear that it is not much better in 8.1 (I haven't had the time yet to test it myself).
Learn and get certified!