Installation & update
About program installation and update, hardware, operating systems, setup, etc.

8.1 update for EDU version?

Anonymous
Not applicable
Does anyone know when this is likely to be available in the UK? I'm really desperate for it..
7 REPLIES 7
Djordje
Ace
theginjaninja wrote:
Does anyone know when this is likely to be available in the UK? I'm really desperate for it..
Your reseller should. If not, ask GS UK.
Djordje

ArchiCAD since 4.55 ... 1995
HP Omen
Anonymous
Not applicable
Unfortunately he's not been very helpful so far and keeps trying to sell me the full version for £2000. I don't have that kind of money...

Will email GS UK..
stefan
Expert
We're still on r8.0

I really feel that Graphisoft should change it's educational product to be more like AutoCAD or 3ds max:

One set of CD's for demo, NotForResale, commercial, academic and student. Depending on your registration (or your hardware lock), the software will be in any of these modes.

The demo & student versions could have certain limitations (modified file-format and/or watermarks, but the functionality and compatibility with patches, upgrades, plugins should be the same).

It is expensive to develop a seperate version, with seperate file format and with seperate features (or missing features).

Edit:
That way you can install the software on any PC/Mac and if you don't use a lock, it will still be a fully functional file viewer (without saving capabilities).
--- stefan boeykens --- bim-expert-architect-engineer-musician ---
Archicad27/Revit2023/Rhino8/Unity/Solibri/Zoom
MBP2023:14"M2MAX/Sonoma+Win11
Archicad-user since 1998
my Archicad Book
Jacques Toerien
Participant
theginjaninja wrote:
Unfortunately he's not been very helpful so far and keeps trying to sell me the full version for £2000. I don't have that kind of money...

Will email GS UK..
I've had the same service re. a demo pack...Not very helpful.
I don't think they understand the term "Possible future customer"

-JT
2012 13" Macbook Pro 8GB Ram, OS X 10.14.6
2010 Mac Pro 2x 6 Core 2.93Ghz Xeon, 48Gb Ram, OS X 10.14.6, RX 580

To summarize the summary of the summary: people are a problem. - Douglas Adams
Ben Odonnell
Contributor
ArchiCAD 8.1 EDU is due for a mid Feb release.
Ben O'Donnell
Architect and CTO at BIMobject®
Get your BIM objects from bimobject.com
Anonymous
Not applicable
stefan wrote:
Edit:
That way you can install the software on any PC/Mac and if you don't use a lock, it will still be a fully functional file viewer (without saving capabilities).

Great idea ! It would also help spreading ArchiCAD... I still have an time unlimited demo of Revit installed on my PC : you can't save (and I guess print), but you can open demo files, follow the tutorial, etc...
Anonymous
Not applicable
stefan wrote:
I really feel that Graphisoft should change it's educational product to be more like AutoCAD or 3ds max:

One set of CD's for demo, NotForResale, commercial, academic and student. Depending on your registration (or your hardware lock), the software will be in any of these modes.

The demo & student versions could have certain limitations (modified file-format and/or watermarks, but the functionality and compatibility with patches, upgrades, plugins should be the same).

It is expensive to develop a seperate version, with seperate file format and with seperate features (or missing features).

Edit:
This is how it was until version 6 (I think). The educational version was different, but the standard and demo installations were the same with the key being the difference between how it would run. I am not sure why they decided to change it.

I still think it was a good idea, and would add one other option: a limited license with only one layer active for review and markup. I know this is supposed to happen with the web publishing but that has its limitations.