Installation & update
About program installation and update, hardware, operating systems, setup, etc.

AC 20 opening older version PLN files

Llian
Advocate
So, I understand AC 20 can open AC 17 PLN files....
What do I do with my project files created in 14?
Anyone any idea?

Should I save them to AC 17?
Lilian Seow
LEED AP | cSBA
Interior-Architecture and BIM Management
AC20 USA | 27- macOS 10.14.6| 4 GHz Intel Core i7| 32 GB RAM | Archicad-user since 1994!
10 REPLIES 10
Karl Ottenstein
You can open project PLN files from version 8.1 onwards in 20.

http://helpcenter.graphisoft.com/guides/archicad-20/archicad-20-reference-guide/migration_guide_for_...
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
Llian
Advocate
Thank you Karl...I really appreciate your response and the link. I am now looking into the new computer as my current [last 2010] computer does not have the capacity to upgrade to the current OS....it's a lot of money!
Lilian Seow
LEED AP | cSBA
AC20 USA | 27- macOS 10.14.6| 4 GHz Intel Core i7| 32 GB RAM | Archicad-user since 1994!
Karl Ottenstein
Hi Lillian. I didn't notice in your signature that you have a MacBook Air vs MacBook Pro. Kind of surprised AC runs OK on it, but according to Apple, you can update it to El Capitan:

https://support.apple.com/kb/SP728?locale=en_US

Why do you say it does not have the capacity to upgrade?
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
Llian
Advocate
Hi Karl,
I have no problem with Mac Air upgraded to El Capitan. That's not my primary computer for working on AC. I have been working with the iMac that is 7 years old on Snow. The software update somehow isn't detecting newer OS since I upgraded to Snow Leopard to support AC 17. I went to Apple Store abt this update and they said the software update scans if the computer is suitable for software update; and it is likely that my computer (4 G memory and dual core Intel processors just seem too weak to fit the newer OS update.
Lilian Seow
LEED AP | cSBA
Gerald Hoffman
Booster
Hi Lillian,

I am working on a late 2011 model MacBook Pro which has been great and it is a 17" which unfortunately have discontinued. If you are considering upgrading to a MacBook Pro I would wait a little while as I believe Apple will be launching a fairly major upgrade in the next few months. I will be updating if it looks as good as some initial speculation seems to make it out to be. Mine is still working very good even on AC20 but I am getting a little nervous because of the age and it is my only computer.

The new one will not be cheap but my experience is you buy the best you can and it does seem to last longer and perform well for years.

Cheers,
Gerald
"The simplification of anything is always sensational" GKC
AC 25-4013 USA, CadImage Tools
2019 MacBook Pro 16" w/ AMD Radeon Pro 5600M GPU
OS X 11.6
2.4 Ghz 8 core i9, 64 GB RAM
27" LG 5K Monitor
Llian
Advocate
Thanks Gerald.
I am torn to get i7 or i5 and 16 gb or 32 gb; for the 27-inch fusion drive.....any thoughts?
Lilian Seow
LEED AP | cSBA
Gerald Hoffman
Booster
Lillian,

For AC I would always select the fastest processor I could. There are differences between the i5 & i7 that I understand has to with Hyper Threading which is like doubling the number of cores in your computer for some operations. The i7 typically can have 4 cores Hyper Threading which is 8 threads. The most a i5 can have is 2 cores Hyper Threading which is 4 threads. An i5 can have 4 cores but can't have Hyper Threading on these so you still only get 4 threads. I also think that i7 processors are typically available in higher speeds which in AC is faster.

You can definitely work with 16GB of RAM as I do. It is all I can get into my computer. If I could get 32GB I would as I do occasionally run into the end of available RAM and things then slow down significantly. Before paying for Apple to upgrade the RAM I would check online to see if the Mac I was buying can be upgraded after purchase and then check prices on sites like OWC or NewEgg for RAM prices to upgrade. I found significant savings even paying he exchange rate and shipping when I upgraded my RAM.

Cheers,
Gerald
"The simplification of anything is always sensational" GKC
AC 25-4013 USA, CadImage Tools
2019 MacBook Pro 16" w/ AMD Radeon Pro 5600M GPU
OS X 11.6
2.4 Ghz 8 core i9, 64 GB RAM
27" LG 5K Monitor
Llian
Advocate
Thanks Gerald.
The thing about the iMac is that the processor and ram have to be decided at point of sale because it is unlike the other desktop computer where the hard drive can be upgraded during its lifetime. The cost is almost cad$1000 more for i7 and 32 gb......
Lilian Seow
LEED AP | cSBA
Erwin Edel
Rockstar
Hey Llian, not sure about the current iMAC, the one I have at home is the last model before they went all fancy 5k screens, but I can upgrade RAM and I generally find it to be more affordable after I've had the thing for 2-3 years. So I ussually go about halfway (which on my model was 16 GB) and bite the bullet on the RAM upgrade a few years later when I find it lacking. Apple seems to overcharge a bit on the RAM, but 3rd party resellers sell quality RAM for decent prices and it's a plug and play style upgrade (just unscrew a lid on the back, pop out the old, pop in the new).

That said, 16 GB works fine for ArchiCAD on the macbook pros we use in the office her, which have similar specs as my iMAC. I'd go for i7 and SSD drive though, if you can afford it. Those will really give you the boost up in speed.

I've traded in my old iMACs (4-5 years) in the past for the new one here, and for whatever reason (fanboys, collectors??) they suprisingly hold value. Might be worth seeing if you can get some return on the old machine.

I'm not using Apple Stores but just 3rd party resellers, if that makes sense. NL is a bit different market than Canada.
Erwin Edel, Project Lead, Leloup Architecten
www.leloup.nl

ArchiCAD 9-26NED FULL
Windows 10 Pro
Adobe Design Premium CS5