Installation & update
About program installation and update, hardware, operating systems, setup, etc.

AC 22 + Mojave

rm
Expert
Mojave has been out for since Sept. Graphisoft still shows 10.13 as the approved Mac OS for ArchiCAD 22 on their website. Does anyone know if Graphisoft has any reasonable delivery date scheduled for the release of a Mojave ready AC22?

I have several other major pieces of software that are ready to use with Mojave, but I concerned to make the switch before AC22 is ready for it.

Thank you!
Robert Mariani
MARIANI design studio, PLLC
Architecture / Architectural Photography
www.robertmariani.com

Mac OSX 13.1
AC 24 / 25 / 26
12 REPLIES 12
Karl Ottenstein
Hi Robert,

AC 22 (and 21) are supported in Mojave with the most recent product updates.

That said, there is a reported issue where the File Open, Save, Save As etc dialogs within ARCHICAD perform slowly with the current release AC 22 build 4023:
https://archicad-talk.graphisoft.com/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=63149

For general Graphisoft Mojave info, see:
https://helpcenter.graphisoft.com/knowledgebase/84821/
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
rm
Expert
Thanks for your reply Karl!

What seems confusing to me is that on the Graphisoft US site, Graphisoft only recommends Sierra and High Sierra for AC22. There is no mention of Mojave being recommended in conjunction with AC22 without a "fallback" to the previous OS. That is not a solution most people would want to rely on.

The text below is copied directly from the link you provided concerning AC/22 & Mojave.....

"There might still be some incompatibilities that hasn't surfaced yet though. If we receive reports of any new issues that hasn't been fixed, we will publish them here, and try to fix everything in the next Update of ARCHICAD 21 (80xx) and 22 (50xx). Until then, only update to macOS 10.14 if you have the option to roll back to macOS 10.13"

The errors you mentioned with AC22/Mojave seem to reinforce my point here.
Robert Mariani
www.robertmariani.com

Mac OSX 13.1
AC 24 / 25 / 26
DGSketcher
Legend
I have grumbled elsewhere about this. It looks like the next (50xx) update may be January, by which time Mac OS will be a quarter of the way towards its next release and AC will be 8 months closer to the v23 release, yet we still don't have a "compatible" AC22 release to work on the Mojave OS. It's not like GS don't know when Apple will release their next update... AC23 should be ready to run on Mac OS 10.15.1 at public release date! For some of us there is pressure to keep Mac OS and iOS in sync. Not to mention the benefit of new features and protection against vulnerabilities that comes from the updates.
Apple iMac Intel i9 / macOS Sonoma / AC27UKI (most recent builds.. if they work)
Karl Ottenstein
I didn't read closely enough, Robert. Thanks for catching that. Personally, I've put off upgrading to Mojave... and will continue to wait based on your reading - or at least until I make both a bootable clone of High Sierra and/or a High Sierra virtual machine...
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
Karl Ottenstein
Karl wrote:
... a bootable clone of High Sierra and/or a High Sierra virtual machine...
Just wanted to share that AC 22 does NOT run adequately in a High Sierra virtual machine using Parallels Desktop 14 (newest version). AC 22 requires OpenGL 3.3 or higher, which Parallels does not support in its virtual environment. (Some online posts suggest that VMWare Fusion may support OpenGL better.)

A bootable clone of my High Sierra machine launched AC 22 fine. So, I continue to recommend making a bootable clone prior to any MacOS upgrade if anyone is concerned about running into post-upgrade issues and still being able to quickly get back to work. Some online discussions even suggest applying the (Mojave) update to the clone (or a copy of the clone) to test all functionality before upgrading the actual system disk.
Daniel Kovacs
Graphisoft Alumni
Graphisoft Alumni
Hello Everyone,

Actually, every bug that we are aware of so far have been fixed in the first update of ARCHICAD 22 (40xx), so whatever has been reported to us or we had found during the beta period of macOS 10.14 is fixed, so we could say it is compatible with ARCHICAD.

The reason we can't say that macOS 10.14 is officially supported is that we are still waiting for feedback from the early adopters about anything we might have missed (because anything could change in the OS, even the most unexpected things that we wouldn't even think to test for), so that we can safely say that there are no clashes with this iteration of macOS.

This means that you can upgrade to macOS 10.14, just proceed with caution, because you might run into something unexpected (e.g. the dialog error that Karl just mentioned). But I personally think that since everything had been silent so far, we can say everything is fine after the 50xx (though it is up to what we find out about the file dialog slow-downs).

A colleague of mine from the GRAPHISOFT US office has created a chart that explains this timeline visually. Let me attach it for you, I think it is pretty handy. I hope this explains everything. Let me know if you have any questions about macOS 10.14.

Regards,
Daniel Alexander Kovacs

Professional Services Consultant

GRAPHISOFT

For Troubleshooting and useful Tips & Tricks visit
Anonymous
Not applicable
Here's an issue for GS to ponder: Total program lock-up when initiating receive changes from Server.
Has anyone else encountered and figured out a work -around?
rm
Expert
dkovacs wrote:
Hello Everyone,

Actually, every bug that we are aware of so far have been fixed in the first update of ARCHICAD 22 (40xx), so whatever has been reported to us or we had found during the beta period of macOS 10.14 is fixed, so we could say it is compatible with ARCHICAD.

The reason we can't say that macOS 10.14 is officially supported is that we are still waiting for feedback ..........
With all due respect, your reply is infuriating! In the same breadth, you first state AC22 is compatible with 10.14, then one sentence later you state it is NOT officially supported.

So which is it? I think we know what the answer; GS is not sure OFFICIALLY if the software is compatible, pushing the blame on early adopters!

The diagram you attached from your US colleague is equally frustrating. I use the entire Adobe CC studio along with accounting software, graphics, design, utilities, printers and everyone supplying me with MacOS compatible software, drivers or devices is saying OFFICIALLY they are MacOS 10.14 compatible and have been for months now. ONLY GS is scratching their heads and being completely non committal on whether their software is fully compatible or not with the latest MacOS.

As another user noted, by the time GS actually states AC22 IS fully compatible with MacOS 10.14, that will only leave about 7-9 months before Apple releases the next major OS update and we will be in the same mess all over again, with AC23.

GS used to have fully compatible versions released within just a couple months after a major MacOS update, those days are long gone! To make things worse, GS now releases their "major" updates too frequently to keep up with Revit's absurd software update model.

GS please, stop pushing out unfinished, non-fully tested software, just to boost sales revenue. We get it, you are a business and you need steady cash flow. But do you really think your current process is going to help your shrinking US market share. 9/10 Job postings in the US are looking for architects with Revit experience, not AC. Your current software release model is not helping your cause at all!
Robert Mariani
www.robertmariani.com

Mac OSX 13.1
AC 24 / 25 / 26
furtonb
Advisor
I think the stability has declined generally in a severe manner on the macOS side during the past few years. Even the initial release felt like it's still in public beta... Not to mention the mess on the hardware side (yup, Nvidia GPU here), which is even more infuriating. I simply cannot keep my computers in sync (I am on Mojave on my laptop - dark mode ftw, but 10.13.6 on the desktop: no Nvidia drivers for me)…

The annual releases stir the pot in the other direction, many software companies suffer from this worldwide - on the development side at least, because the shareholders are happy, I guess. I would prefer less frequent, but more meaningful and rock solid releases. McNeel does a pretty decent job in this sense with Rhino, but they are at least a magnitude smaller, thus easier to pull things like this.
odv.hu | actively using: AC25-27 INT | Rhino6-8 | macOS @ apple silicon / win10 x64