BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024

Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!

Installation & update
About program installation and update, hardware, operating systems, setup, etc.

AC 22 - can't orbit the camera when using 3D cutaway (Possible bug?)

Anonymous
Not applicable
I seem to have found a new bug, whenever i created a 3D cutaway the camera won't orbit anymore, has anyone experience the same thing? The pan feature seems to be working just fine though

-John
11 REPLIES 11
Erwin Edel
Rockstar
If you press O for orbit it won't work either?

Sometimes with 3D cutaway you are sort of pressing on the cutaway (according to ARCHICAD) and it won't respond.
Erwin Edel, Project Lead, Leloup Architecten
www.leloup.nl

ArchiCAD 9-26NED FULL
Windows 10 Pro
Adobe Design Premium CS5
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
I tried it in AC22 and I can Orbit after defining Cutting Planes without any problem.
Could you show a screenshot of the exact scenario?
Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27
gpowless
Advocate
I have had this issue since Beta when it was reported but couldn't be verified. For me the issues seems to be related to using MEP while in #D cutaway. The 3D window freezes the location of the model and any attempt to move it snaps back to the locked position.

My work around is to temporarilly switch to axonometric view which release the freeze and after a few edits switching back to perspective view. Its a pain but at least I can continue working.
Intel i7-6700@3.4GHz 16g
GeForce GTX 745 4g HP Pavilion 25xw
Windows 10 Archicad 26 USA Full
Anonymous
Not applicable
Erwin wrote:
If you press O for orbit it won't work either?

Sometimes with 3D cutaway you are sort of pressing on the cutaway (according to ARCHICAD) and it won't respond.
i tried using the orbit button at the bottom of the screen without any luck, my "o" button is attached to custom command atm

-John
Anonymous
Not applicable
gpowless wrote:
I have had this issue since Beta when it was reported but couldn't be verified. For me the issues seems to be related to using MEP while in #D cutaway. The 3D window freezes the location of the model and any attempt to move it snaps back to the locked position.

My work around is to temporarilly switch to axonometric view which release the freeze and after a few edits switching back to perspective view. Its a pain but at least I can continue working.
I do have MEP installed, but wasn't exactly using it when the problem occured, might be related to custom preset of the 3D view map, but i don't know for sure, haven't tried to produce the problem in the default template yet

Sometimes changing the 3D projection settings seem to do the trick, but i can't remember for sure, i will take some notes if the encounter the problem again in the future

Thanks
-John
Anonymous
Not applicable
LaszloNagy wrote:
I tried it in AC22 and I can Orbit after defining Cutting Planes without any problem.
Could you show a screenshot of the exact scenario?
yupp, i'm quiet puzzled as well, i just encountered the problem once on a single file, and haven't got the chance to test it out on another file yet.

i'll try to test it out over the next weekend if i have the time.

Thanks Laz!

-John
I'd like to confirm that I have this bug too.

It's pretty severe and is as described, and anytime you try to orbit (either using the orbit button or the hotkey combination (Shift+Middle Mouse button) it drags the model view back to the origin point and won't move at all from that until you either zoom extents to get the whole model again, or pan or scroll.

It's a pretty severe problem, and for large models makes the program pretty much unusable in 3D (even when you've cropped the model to the location you're working in)

How this never got picked up during the beta testing, nor verified or dealt with before release is completely beyond me.

After struggling with a model for the better part of two hours, closing and re-starting, and even trying a different file (where it worked for a bit before going right back to that bug), I'm forced to go back to ArchiCAD 21 until this issue is resolved.

I don't know if it has to do with my recently updating (more like being forced to update) my Windows 10 to the latest April update (which is a whole other story of bug-filled, crash-filled headaches. What is it with software developers and not properly testing their software before release?), but that's my only guess for the moment and I can't spend any more time trying to figure out a workaround to this issue.

I should have stuck to my normal policy of never upgrading to the most recent version until at least 2 or 3 hotfixes in.

Again I ask, what's the point of beta-testing if these kinds of problems are able to slip through Q.A. and end up needing lots of hotfixes and service packs just to get the program usable, much less stable?

EDIT: I should mention that the problem only seems to affect the perspective projection (which is the projection I use most when working in 3D) and not the parallel projection (which I hardly ever use). At least as far as I can tell so far. And switching back to perspective only brings back the problem.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Bricklyne wrote:
I'd like to confirm that I have this bug too.

EDIT: I should mention that the problem only seems to affect the perspective projection (which is the projection I use most when working in 3D) and not the parallel projection (which I hardly ever use). At least as far as I can tell so far. And switching back to perspective only brings back the problem.
Exactly, i had the problem only on the perspective view (i mostly use perspective view for 3D editing too) as well.. the problem is i'm stuck with this atm because after some hotfixes ago, my AC 21 performed a lot slower so i can't revert back either. My current laptop with higher specs performs a lot slower compared to other pc in my office with lower specs which still uses the older hotfix version, but that's a story for another day

-John
rjwilden
Booster
bug also present here.
Richard Wilden Design. Ltd
Dunedin, New Zealand.
Imac 27" i9 3.6GHz; 32GB Ram Mac OS 11.3
Archicad V23:V24
Learn and get certified!