Installation & update
About program installation and update, hardware, operating systems, setup, etc.

AC 23 - 3D navigation lag / After installing OS X 10.15.13

rm
Expert
To anyone using AC 23 with Mac OSX 10.15.13 ...... I use AC 23 on 2 relatively fast Macs, 1 iMAC 5K and a new 16" MBP that has an i9 Processor, 32gb RAM and the fastest GPU Apple offers.

That said, both machines allowed me to easily navigate in 3D mode, as if walking through the design, with no lag what so ever. I use the OpenGL rendering engine and usually select Simple Shading or Simple Shading with Shadows, knowing the shadows require more processing.

Ever since going from OSX 10.15.12 to 10.15.13, the navigation is "stuttering" not smooth at all. The models I am navigating on not complex. If I turn on the Shadows, then performance is horrible.

Has anyone else seen this with the 10.15.13 update. I can't tell if this is an Apple issue or if Graphisoft needs to update their software as well.

Feed back welcomed!
Robert Mariani
MARIANI design studio, PLLC
Architecture / Architectural Photography
www.robertmariani.com

Mac OSX 13.1
AC 24 / 25 / 26
8 REPLIES 8
Minh Nguyen
Graphisoft Alumni
Graphisoft Alumni
Hi Robert,

Thank you for sharing the issue and I am sorry about the experience!

I am wondering if this is still happening with your computer (I assume the version is 10.15.3, not 10.15.13)? Does this happen even with a blank template file, or with only some specific files? Currently we haven’t got any report about 3D navigation issue specifically for macOS 10.15.3.

Thank you very much for your help!

Best regards,
Minh

Minh Nguyen
Technical Support Engineer
GRAPHISOFT

rm
Expert
Minh -

Thanks for reaching out! I have not tried what you have asked with a new blank file, but I have tested it with multiple projects files on an iMac and MacBook Pro running Catalina - yes as you asked 10.15.3, my last post stated the version incorrectly.

mnguyen wrote:
Hi Robert,

Thank you for sharing the issue and I am sorry about the experience!

I am wondering if this is still happening with your computer (I assume the version is 10.15.3, not 10.15.13)? Does this happen even with a blank template file, or with only some specific files? Currently we haven’t got any report about 3D navigation issue specifically for macOS 10.15.3.

Thank you very much for your help!

Best regards,
Minh
Robert Mariani
www.robertmariani.com

Mac OSX 13.1
AC 24 / 25 / 26
DGSketcher
Legend
I would confirm the same findings on my iMac i9 5k. Even in monochrome mode, turning on shadows has a detrimental effect on moving through the model. Not sure when this started as I tend to work with shadows off for clarity and speed of navigation.
Apple iMac Intel i9 / macOS Sonoma / AC27UKI (most recent builds.. if they work)
rm
Expert
Thanks for confirming that! Hopefully GS will look further into this.
DGSketcher wrote:
I would confirm the same findings on my iMac i9 5k. Even in monochrome mode, turning on shadows has a detrimental effect on moving through the model. Not sure when this started as I tend to work with shadows off for clarity and speed of navigation.
Robert Mariani
www.robertmariani.com

Mac OSX 13.1
AC 24 / 25 / 26
Minh Nguyen
Graphisoft Alumni
Graphisoft Alumni
Hi all,

Thank you for your reports! We have tested the issue with one of our Macbook Pro 15" with i7 processor. We found no issue with 3D navigation, therefore we really need your help on this matter!

I'm wondering if you could share with us the following information:

- The affected computers' specifications

- A sample file where you experience 3D navigation issue

- Take some Sample Process of ARCHICAD 23 when you experience this issue during 3D navigation: open Activity Monitor, select ARCHICAD 23, then click the cog-wheel icon > Sample Process. A new window will open to display the sample. During this period, you may do some navigation in 3D in order to capture some information in the Sample Process.
When Activity Monitor finishes sampling, click Save… to save the result as a text file. Please take at least 4-5 of them for a more precise measurement.

If you worry about confidential information, let me know so I can share you a secure link where you can drop your files to.

Thank you very much for your help with this issue!

Best regards,
Minh

Minh Nguyen
GRAPHISOFT

DGSketcher
Legend
@Minh

Let's start with the easy one first, the specification. See attached. If you don't see the problem on your I7 MacBook Pro you might need to test it on a similar specified machine that Robert and I are using. I wouldn't be surprised if it is graphics card related.
Apple iMac Intel i9 / macOS Sonoma / AC27UKI (most recent builds.. if they work)
rm
Expert
Hi Minh -

Odd your are not seeing the same issue. I uploaded videos and logs to GS NA Support and have never heard back from them on this issue. The video I uploaded to them clearly illustrated the problem. You can reach out to them to get my files that I sent them close to a month ago, again with no response back from engineering!

That said, I have 2014 iMac and 2019 loaded 16" MBP that I can produce the same problem of lag when shadow are turned on. I could almost accept it happening on the iMac but not on the fastest 2019 MBP with the fastest mobile graphics card currently available from AMD.

I am certain AC 23 is not playing nice with Apple graphic cards lately!

mnguyen wrote:
Hi all,

Thank you for your reports! We have tested the issue with one of our Macbook Pro 15" with i7 processor. We found no issue with 3D navigation, therefore we really need your help on this matter!

I'm wondering if you could share with us the following information:

- The affected computers' specifications

Thank you very much for your help with this issue!

Best regards,
Minh
Robert Mariani
www.robertmariani.com

Mac OSX 13.1
AC 24 / 25 / 26
Minh Nguyen
Graphisoft Alumni
Graphisoft Alumni
Hi Robert,

I’m very sorry for the experience! I contacted GRAPHISOFT NA about this issue already, and I’m waiting for their response on this issue!

Best regards,
Minh

Minh Nguyen
GRAPHISOFT