Installation & update
About program installation and update, hardware, operating systems, setup, etc.

AC10 LABEL TOOL

Seiss Wagner
Participant
I have a project file in AC10 that I started in AC9. For some reason, now that I am at the annotation stage of the project, the label tool has stopped working in text mode. If I go back to an earlier saved version the label tool works in text, and it works in a new file created in AC10. If I start a new file and check "Use latest project settings," the label tool will not work in text for that file. If I open the AC10 file in AC11, the label tool, in text mode, still will not work for that file.

Any idea what the problem might be; have I somehow miss-set the tool?

My work around is to draw the arrow leaders with the label tool and then enter the text using the text tool. How stupid is that?
ArchiCad 21 / OS X 10.13.5 /
iMac 3.2GHz i5 - 32GB /AMD Radeon R9 M390 - 2048 MB/
Dual 5K - 27" Displays
6 REPLIES 6
Link
Graphisoft Partner
Graphisoft Partner
How does it not work? Are you sure it's not that the text is set to a white pen, or something maddening like that?

Cheers,
Link.
Seiss Wagner
Participant
LINK - I can neither draw a rubberbanding box nor access the text editor and formatting palette. The third click results in the drawing of a new leader.
Dual 5K - 27" Displays
Link
Graphisoft Partner
Graphisoft Partner
The default settings of the label tool will also remember any text. Try going to your Label Default Settings and look under the Text Label panel. My guess is that you may have a space there and nothing else. This would mean that whenever you place a label, AC will just label it with a space, which will make it look broken, as you describe.

If this is indeed the case, delete the space and try and place a new label. You will get you rubber band.

Cheers,
Link.
Seiss Wagner
Participant
LINK - You were absolutly correct, that was the problem. The space was so small I never noticed it until your suggestion, even then, I had to do a back space and watch the cursor move before I realized it was a space.

Thanks very much for the help.

Seiss
Dual 5K - 27" Displays
Eric Bobrow
Enthusiast
I resolved Seiss’s issue in 5 minutes yesterday, then noticed the thread continued today.

FYI - here are the steps I went through, which may be useful for others who have a problem like this one (a tool which does not work properly in one file, but works in other files):

Since the label tool worked in other existing files and in a new file, but not this one, there was no problem with the workstation or library. The default settings for the label tool were the problem, in this project or when continued with “Use latest project settings”. Rather than try to troubleshoot the actual settings (which would have worked but I wasn't sure how complicated the troubleshooting would be), I suggested that Seiss eye-dropper a label on his floorplan to pick up some “good” settings.

He didn’t have any labels in the current project, so he opened up another project, copied a label, then went back to the problematic project, and pasted. Then he used the eyedropper.

At that point the label tool worked fine, except that it automatically put the same text down that was in the label that was eye-dropped. This was fixed easily by opening up the label tool default settings, and deleting the Default Text, so it was now blank.

Obviously, going straight for the Default Text in the default Label Settings was the direct fix; however the troubleshooting steps above may be useful in general for situations in which a tool works in one file but not in another.
Seiss Wagner
Participant
YES, and I would like to thank Eric for his quick response to my problem. His fix got me back to work that afternoon. It's a comfort to have a reseller with the experience and the willingness to take the time to back-up his cleints.

Thank you Eric
Dual 5K - 27" Displays