Installation & update
About program installation and update, hardware, operating systems, setup, etc.

AC11 and MacMini/MacBook Intel GMA 950 graphics?

Thomas Holm
Booster
I'd like to know if someone's running AC11 on a current Mac Mini C2D (with "Intel GMA 950 graphics processor with 64MB of DDR2 SDRAM shared with main memory")?

The 2GHz version seems to be more or less internally identical to the current 2GHz C2D MacBook specs, so I guess experience from that applies too.

- Are there any drawbacks? I would guess significantly slower model rotation in the 3D window using the OpenGL engine, but apart from that? (And that would hardly matter in our office with mostly small projects)

I realise the current iMacs are good value for money, but we've already got a good big screen etc that we want to use. And the cheapest MacPro costs three times the 2GHz Macmini, even when it's maxed out at 2GB RAM. Any thoughts?
AC4.1-AC26SWE; MacOS13.5.1; MP5,1+MBP16,1
5 REPLIES 5
Dwight
Newcomer
For OpenGL, just keep the 3D window tiny and the options minimized.
Dwight Atkinson
Anonymous
Not applicable
I often use a Mac Mini Core (1) Duo 1.66Ghz with ACv11. I have it attached to my widescreen TV and run it at 1900x1200.

Specs:
* Memory 1GB 667DDR2 SDRAM (2X512)
* Hard Drive 120GB Serial ATA Drive
* Graphics Memory Intel GMA950 w/64MB shared mem

I mostly use the mini for work focused in the 2D window, but have occasionally done small 3D projects with it. It performs adequately in 2D, and acceptably in 3D for small models like a house. I don't think it would efficiently handle models much more complex. It is definitely not a modeling powerhouse but I find it quite acceptable for production work.
Thomas Holm
Booster
Thanks. Any AC11 users on MacBook out there?
Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi Thomas

I have one of the origonal 2ghz CD MacBooks and use it to run AC10 and 11 occassionally.
I'm typically doing smaller projects on it but am quite happy with the way it handles.
It will really just come down to the size of projects and frequency of use.

Good Luck
Thomas Holm
Booster
OK thanks everyone, I think we'll test it.