Installation & update
About program installation and update, hardware, operating systems, setup, etc.

AC23: Open Project dialogue takes ages to show via RDP

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi

One of our CAD ladies sometimes works from home. This means she does a RDP-connection from her home to her workstation in our office and then uses the workstation more or less as if she were in the office.

Now since we installed AC23 this setting gives us a strange problem: When she's connected via RDP and hits the "Open Project" button, it takes ages (she said: up to an hour) before the "Open project dialogue" shows and she can start working.

However when she's working locally at the office, there is no such issue.

It's to be mentioned that:
a) there was (and is) no such problem with AC22 or previous versions. It's only AC23.
b) all other software behaves 100% normal when used via RDP

So we figure that AC23 must have introduced some kind of strange bug that causes this...

What's also strange is that she can't open an project in AC23 by clicking the file in the folder where it's stored.
She can chose "Open with..." -> and then AC23... but it always opens with AC19... the projects are opened with AC19 even if you throw them directly at the AC23 exe... because of this we can't easily "work around" the bugged opening dialogue.

Thanks for any ideas.
6 REPLIES 6
SeRohde
Booster
Sounds like this is related to the Issue with the "open with" dialog:
https://helpcenter.graphisoft.com/knowledgebase/124689/

Regarding the slowness i would try adding exclusions for all Archicad versions to Windows Defender and / or your Antivirus product.
https://winaero.com/blog/exclusions-windows-defender-windows-10/
Think this has been discussed here, but i can't remember where.

This might be usefull too (depending on how your RDP-Sessions are handled):
http://woshub.com/slow-remoteapp-experience-mouse-lags-windows-10-update/
Admin of BIM [Cloud] [SaaS] [Server] | AC 19-25 [Win&Mac Clients] | VM's
Minh Nguyen
Graphisoft Alumni
Graphisoft Alumni
peon2t wrote:
Hi

One of our CAD ladies sometimes works from home. This means she does a RDP-connection from her home to her workstation in our office and then uses the workstation more or less as if she were in the office.

Now since we installed AC23 this setting gives us a strange problem: When she's connected via RDP and hits the "Open Project" button, it takes ages (she said: up to an hour) before the "Open project dialogue" shows and she can start working.

However when she's working locally at the office, there is no such issue.

It's to be mentioned that:
a) there was (and is) no such problem with AC22 or previous versions. It's only AC23.
b) all other software behaves 100% normal when used via RDP

So we figure that AC23 must have introduced some kind of strange bug that causes this...

What's also strange is that she can't open an project in AC23 by clicking the file in the folder where it's stored.
She can chose "Open with..." -> and then AC23... but it always opens with AC19... the projects are opened with AC19 even if you throw them directly at the AC23 exe... because of this we can't easily "work around" the bugged opening dialogue.

Thanks for any ideas.
Hi peon2t,

Thank you very much for reporting the issue here and I am very sorry for the experience!

I will have our Technical Support team take a look at this. In the meantime, could you provide us with some basic information, such as the specification of the computer, Windows version, and any antivirus/firewall that you may install on your computer?

For the 'Open with' issue, a big thank you to SeRohde for your answer! Indeed, this is a known issue with ARCHICAD 23. Hopefully, this issue will be solved in the next update of ARCHICAD 23.

I am looking forward to hearing from you soon!

Best regards,
Minh

Minh Nguyen
Technical Support Engineer
GRAPHISOFT

Minh Nguyen
Graphisoft Alumni
Graphisoft Alumni
Hi peon2t,

We investigated this issue here in the office but unfortunately, we cannot replicate this issue here. Could you ask her to generate CmDust log when the issue occurs and another CmDust log when ARCHICAD if finally opening (after an hour).

Here is how to generate the CmDust log: https://helpcenter.graphisoft.com/knowledgebase/25432/

Additionally, a FastLoggers might be useful to diagnose the issue if this is not license related. Here is where you can find them: https://helpcenter.graphisoft.com/knowledgebase/63116/

Also, is it possible for you to reproduce the problem using RDP connection on another machine, to see if similar symptom happens there as well?

Looking forward to hearing back from you.
Best regards,
Minh

Minh Nguyen
GRAPHISOFT

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi

Thank you for your replies!

The issue with opening ArchiCAD files from folders could be resolved with the article linked.

However the issue "inside" ArchiCAD is still there. It also affects opening Teamwork projects so we can't "work around" in this case by opening the files from the folder.

The machine is a HP Z Workstation with a Xeon E5-1620 v3, 16GB RAM and Windows 10 Pro Version 1903. (Im not on loction and they didn't give me details about the graphics card but I can ask for clarification if it's relevant). AV provider is Sophos.

I'll get you the CmDust logs as soon as she can spare the time waiting an hour for the "open dialogue".

(To be clear: The issue is not that ArchiCAD takes 1 hour to start. ArchiCAD starts normally. But the "open project" or "teamwork" dialogue inside ArchiCAD takes ages when connected via RDP.)
Anonymous
Not applicable
Ok, now... interesting thing:

Yesterday the CAD lady was working from home Office and wanted to collect the CMdust logs.

Guess what happens: Now it suddenly works. So what didn't work since the release of AC23 (saw it with my own eyes) just magically "repaired" itself yesterday.

So for the moment the issue seems to be resolved.
Minh Nguyen
Graphisoft Alumni
Graphisoft Alumni
Hi there,

It is pretty strange...However, it is not rare either. I've seen many cases with slowness issues that were fixed without any modification, maybe with a restart/reconnection! Let me know if you need any further assistance regarding this!

Thank you very much for the news!

Best regards,
Minh

Minh Nguyen
GRAPHISOFT