Installation & update
About program installation and update, hardware, operating systems, setup, etc.

AMD Ryzen 9, AMD Threadripper or Xeon W ?

Anonymous
Not applicable
What is the most suitable CPU for AC 23 (large projects and extreme performance)?
1) AMD Ryzen 9 3900X (12c / 24tr, base clock 3.8, max boost clock 4.6; DDR4 3200; PCIe lane 4.0; 70 mb total cache or 3950X (16c / 24tr, base clock 3.5; boost clock 4.7; DDR4 3200; PCIe lane 4.0; 73 mb total cache)
2) AMD Ryzen Threadripper 3960X (24c / 48tr, base clock 3.8; max boost clock 4.5; PCIe lane 4.0; DDR4 3200; 142 mb. Total cache)
3) Intel Xeon W-3225 (8c / 16tr, base clock 3.8; max boost clock 4.3; PCIe lane 3.0; DDR4 2666; 16.5 mb cache)
4) Intel Xeon W-3235 (12c/24tr; base clock 3,3; max. Boost clock 4,4; PCIe lane 3.0; DDR4 2933; 19,5 mb. cache)

So, what do you think? Which is better for extreme performance in AC23?

Also, Nvidia Quadro RTX 4000 vs Geforce? Which works best in very very fast regeneration, elevation generation, etc ?
4 REPLIES 4
Barry Kelly
Cristi,
Please do not repeat your posts.
Just bump this old topic if you have not received any replies.

I have deleted your latest one.

Unless someone has all of these machines that you mention so they can compare them, I don't think anyone can tell you which is better.

There are many other posts here where users have discussed various systems and there is the recommended hardware suggestions in the HelpCentre .... https://helpcenter.graphisoft.com/category/setup-and-configuration/hardware-and-software-requirement...

Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
Anonymous
Not applicable
Cristi,
What aspects are you looking for extreme performance?
Additionally when you say large projects what do you mean by this, large file size (in excess of 1Gb), high complexity (eg hospital including fitout). There is much to a system that can significantly affect performance (network speed, server performance, local storage speed (nvme vs HD) before the chipset comes into play.

If value for $ and performance I’d look at the AMD Ryzen™ 9 3950X, main limitation of this chip is the max memory which is only 2 channel and 128Gb. I’d team this with an RTX2080Ti

For extreme performance for rendering etc the AMD Ryzen™ THREADRIPPER™ 3970X would be the way to go. With 256 Gb of ECC RAM and Quadro RTX5000

Even with the most high end of hardware if the project is modelled inefficiently with many poorly scripted library parts, lots of SEOs and morphs the project will be slow.

Scott
Anonymous
Not applicable
The render performance are not interesting because we do not use them. What interests us is that on larger projects (complex of residential buildings) we have no delays on 2d and 3d regeneration.
So a Xeon W-3235 configuration with Supermicro mainboard that supports 6 channels just like the processor and an 8Gb Quadro RTX4000 video card must be sufficient for a work fluid in Archicad 23 (both 2D and 3D) ?
Anonymous
Not applicable
Cristi,
As I said in my last response the way you use Archicad can significantly affect performance I have no issues with an i7 quad core processor on a 30000m2 hospital building but have had issues on much smaller projects that have not been modelled efficiently and have lots of 2d work.

Regards
Scott