Installation & update
About program installation and update, hardware, operating systems, setup, etc.

ARCHICAD 17 and OSX El Capitan

Anonymous
Not applicable
Is anybody running archicad 17 on OS X El Capitan? Graphisoft have advised there may be a problem with menus.
I am concerned I now can't keep my iMac up to date if i have to keep running AC17 on OS X Yosemite. This will eventually affect other programs I run.
Is this fair? One spends thousands of dollars on software and upgrades over the years from AC6-17 and it appears the versions aren't working for new operating systems. Apparently only AC 18 and 19 will work for on OSX El Capitan.
Any advice on how AC17 works on El Capitan grateful accepted.
Thanks.
3 REPLIES 3
Karl Ottenstein
I'm curious as to hearing experiences with 17 and earlier on El Capitan as well.

I've put off upgrading to El Capitan mostly because I have been too busy to make a clone of my Yosemite system to guarantee access to older versions of ArchiCAD, the only software I have that seems to have issue with OS upgrades.

Graeme, I strongly encourage you to get an external disk and clone (and then test the clone) your Yosemite system to it. (You can also clone to a partition of an internal disk.) This will permit you to reboot your Mac with Yosemite if you encounter issues with some version of AC.

2014 review of various clone apps:
http://www.macworld.com/article/2461362/drive-cloning-utilities-the-best-mac-apps-for-making-a-boota...

[I've used all of the methods listed, and pretty much agree with the reviewer's pros/cons.]

Booting from a clone is easy but switching back and forth would get confusing, so I encourage this mainly for people like me who MIGHT have to run an old version rather than folks who EXPECT to have to run old versions somewhat regularly. Once you have clones, here's how you boot from one:
https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204417

Be sure to avoid 'clone wars' in Spotlight and Time Machine by setting each to ignore the (other) clone volumes. Otherwise, you'll see multiple copies of each app/file in Spotlight/Finder Find and won't quickly know which one is part of the system you've booted to.
Screen Shot 2016-01-10 at 11.24.12 AM.png
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
DGSketcher
Legend
Karl wrote:
Be sure to avoid 'clone wars' in Spotlight and Time Machine by setting each to ignore the (other) clone volumes. Otherwise, you'll see multiple copies of each app/file in Spotlight/Finder Find and won't quickly know which one is part of the system you've booted to.
Thanks Karl, I wasn't sure if this was possible Sorry, can't help on the AC17 issue.
Apple iMac Intel i9 / macOS Sonoma / AC27UKI (most recent builds.. if they work)
Anonymous
Not applicable
Thanks Karl for your assistance and clever work around. Regards,