BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Installation & update
About program installation and update, hardware, operating systems, setup, etc.

ARCHICAD 22 on Microsoft Surface Pro (i5-8 gb Ram)

Anonymous
Not applicable
How would be the performance of ARchicad22 on Microsoft Surface Pro i5 with 8 gb of ram? As i am thinking of buying one. This is the version after surface pro 4.
4 REPLIES 4
Karl Ottenstein
This user reported some success with AC 20 Solo:
https://archicad-talk.graphisoft.com/viewtopic.php?t=56805

The Surface is significantly under-powered, certainly in terms of graphics, and 8 GB memory is minimal. It appears to meet the minimal requirements for AC 22:
http://www.graphisoft.com/support/system_requirements/AC22/

but "recommended" is always recommended. 😉
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
strangeday
Booster
Hello, I want to add my little experience, I have a Surface Pro 4 , the I7 version with 16 Gb of memory, and with it I work on several project on version 20 and 21( on 22 I've only make some test on the new feature….but nothing really serious….eheheheh), from simple apartment, to a most complex bus station(100+ layout, with the MEP part), and despite the "recommended" hardware, I've never have the feeling to be limited in some way, clearly we have to make some clarification, I'm speaking about general drafting works, and not about rendering that need a great multithread power, for this reason, infact, I've assembled my workstation in signature.

In general, when I'm at studio use only the workstation, but when working as freelance for other architect, or when I'm on travel, or mostly on building site...to take annotation, to make some sketch, or to speak with client, I use the Surface.......................and honestly will never turning back to a laptop

Said that there are also some negative aspects to take into account, firstly, with Archicad you will use Surface as a traditional laptop, none of the peculiar feature are supported, as windows ink, virtual ruler, surface dial, or at least the most common gesture on multitouch screen as pitch to zoom in and out( or better, don't touch the screen because archicad became quite crazy to have several input simultaneously ehehehehe), and on this I would not hope too much for a change, because Graphisoft is mostly focused into Apple ecosystem, so will never see these feature until macbook will add support for touchscreen or pen input
Another aspect is the dimension of the screen, is quite little, ad when you have several palette opened the working area is really tiny, that impose you scrool and zoom in-out continuously, anyway, when working as freelance I always use an external monitor with a wireless Bluetooth kit of keyboard+mouse, so I resolved this issue, with a little expense of a minidisplay port-HDMI cable, at this proposal remember also the limitation of the unique usb port, I've never had a great need of several ports, because use mostly the cloud or internet to exchange file, so I could use the port for codemeter key.

I hope this will help you in your choice, if you need further clarification do not hesitate to ask.

Francesco
AC 6.5-26 | Latest build | Win 10 Pro 64 | AMD TreadRipper 1950x 3.4 Ghz | 64 Gb RAM | AMD Radeon 5700 XT 8GB
Podolsky
Ace
I just bought the new MS Surface 7 with i5 intel processor and 8gb ram. I was looking how ArchiCAD is working in tablet mode. Pinch for zoom is working. There is some difficulty using pen to draw elements, I would say the most common problem is how to interrupt the process. As there is no keyboard I cannot just press Esc. For that I need to keep control box panel open and use there button ‘cancel’. Also there is gesture for pan is missing. I imagine it should work with two fingers, like on Mac. And pan button is really missing. It probably worth to place it back next to zoom, fit to screen and previous zoom buttons.
Podolsky
Ace
Interesting, that on old versions (ArchiCAD 17) pan is working when you move two fingers on the screen. In the latest versions this function is not available anymore.
Learn and get certified!