Installation & update
About program installation and update, hardware, operating systems, setup, etc.

ARCHICAD FOR INTERIOR DESIGN PROJECTS

Anonymous
Not applicable
As a new member firstly hello As a potential new user of Archicad I have the following questions :

I freelance in commercial interior design ~ Foodservice i.e restaurants, bars, cafe' offers. I receive mostly 2D DWG layouts initially onto which I plot general spacial layouts eventually plotting equipment / furniture / mechanical services etc. Generally the next step for me is to use this information to produce a sketchup presentation model (which is great fun ! ) I have read that Archicad accepts sketchup models well hence my looking to Archicad. I then require the facility to produce final design detail in archicad. This may include additional 3D modelling of internal furniture,
servery counters, bars etc. From this 3D model I would then require the facility to pull off design detail drawings ie. sections elevations & 3D views for tender.

From the above am I going down the correct road ? Once I have left the AutoCad DWG layout into sketchup can I add sevices / additional 2D detail in Archicad ? I am familiar with 3D modelling (solidworks). Will Archicad allow 3D modesl to be easily produced of for example internal bespoke reception desks / bars etc ? & allow manufacturing detail to be produced of these items ?

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated, many thanks in advance

Mattay
6 REPLIES 6
Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi Mattay
Archicad and you can do all you ask, however....
Keep this in mind.
It is a very complicated and powerful program and it takes time to master.
Two years at it, and I'm just starting to learn to walk. Many more before mastery.
Pack a lunch...
Anonymous
Not applicable
Bier,

I personally found it very easy to learn. I made my first project within a month at university. Keep in ming that it was version 4.55 and it was ... well long time ago. No middle button, no scroll, no right mouse button, no OpenGL, no integrated Plotmaker, no views, no multiple pen sets, no... etc, etc. It was 468 with 4 mb ram. Heck how it was even possible .
Dwight
Newcomer
Use the trial version to be sure Archicad can model what you want. It is not as good a free-form modeler as some apps are. But it exploits templates well and if you are always doing the same building type you are way ahead with Archicad.

Also be sure you have the aptitude for it. Archicad is not kid stuff like that Ketchup and you do need to keep more "balls in the air" to be productive.
Many folks dislike this aspect.

However, for competent, complete and 3D model-coordinated documents it is excellent. A big payback for an initial time investment.

BTW: Use a word like 'bespoke" in America and somebody named "Bubba" will beat you.
Dwight Atkinson
Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi

Thank you all for your feedback. I have a good experience base in AutoCad & Solidaworks as CAD applications so my aptitude should not be too much of an issue I'm hoping . I have also found add ins for Archicad for more complex 3D modelling : Zoom GDL, 3D profiler & Archiforma. Does anyone have any experience with any of these & if so which would you recommend ?

One further question, can I use any 2D blocks from AutoCad in ArchiCad. I have a large block library in DWG. format & as such it would be great to re use this information.

Thanks all

Mattay
David Maudlin
Virtuoso
MATTAY wrote:
I have also found add ins for Archicad for more complex 3D modelling : Zoom GDL, 3D profiler & Archiforma. Does anyone have any experience with any of these & if so which would you recommend ?
Mattay:

Search the forum for discussions about the specific add-ons, as well as the pros and cons of relying on add-ons generally.

David
David Maudlin / Architect
www.davidmaudlin.com
Digital Architecture
AC27 USA • iMac 27" 4.0GHz Quad-core i7 OSX11 | 24 gb ram • MacBook Pro M3 Pro | 36 gb ram OSX14
Rakela Raul
Participant
have also found add ins for Archicad for more complex 3D modelling : Zoom GDL, 3D profiler & Archiforma. Does anyone have any experience with any of these & if so which would you recommend ?
also to check: MaxonForm (C4D) for archicad and OBjective from Encina
MACBKPro /32GiG / 240SSD
AC V6 to V18 - RVT V11 to V16