Installation & update
About program installation and update, hardware, operating systems, setup, etc.

ASUS Zenbook enough for ArchiCAD?

Mats_Knutsson
Advisor
ASUS ZENBOOK UX31E CI7 1.8 4GB/128 SSD 13.3" W7HP

What do you thing? I suspect the graphiscs card to be the weak point. Otherwise it looks really great.

/Mats
AC 25 SWE Full

HP Zbook Fury 15,6 G8. 32 GB RAM. Nvidia RTX A3000.
7 REPLIES 7
Mats_Knutsson
Advisor
Well, basically I look for the most light weight ArchiCAD laptop possible out there...any brand, any OS, any price...
AC 25 SWE Full

Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
Yes, the graphics card seems to be the weak point. GS pretty much does not recommend using integrated graphics cards.
Otherwise all other components seem good enough. 4 GB of RAM is not much for a 64-bit op system but you can get away with it, just as well as with the 1600x900 resolution.
You should try it how it responds to AC with its integrated graphics card. Maybe they let you install AC on it to try it with some relatively large project with a larger number of polygons in 3D.
Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27
Gorazd
Booster
Just a info regarding integrated graphics cards. In our training room we have four quite old laptops with Intel integrated cards and 3D was painfully slow. Then I came up with this on ArchiCAD wiki

www.archicadwiki.com/3dSpeed?highlight=%28Category3dSpeed%29

and I have changed "Enable Shaders" parameter in registry and there was noticable difference. It prolonged the use of these machines for at least a year or two. So If you do select this Zenbook for you work, then this will sure increase 3D performace in AC 14 and 15.

I was at the same question a month ago for one customer and he had chosen this Sony Vaio
------

Gorazd Rajh

AC 25, Ryzen 9 5900HS, 48 GB RAM, RTX 3080, Win 11
Thomas Holm
Booster
Mats_Knutsson wrote:
Well, basically I look for the most light weight ArchiCAD laptop possible out there...any brand, any OS, any price...
Mats, the Mac sites are ripe with rumors as usual... but they may be right in predicting a 15" macBook Air with better graphics, that would be in line with Apple's current direction. Probably coming in January, if you can wait.
AC4.1-AC26SWE; MacOS13.5.1; MP5,1+MBP16,1
Mats_Knutsson
Advisor
Gorazd wrote:
Just a info regarding integrated graphics cards. In our training room we have four quite old laptops with Intel integrated cards and 3D was painfully slow. Then I came up with this on ArchiCAD wiki

www.archicadwiki.com/3dSpeed?highlight=%28Category3dSpeed%29

and I have changed "Enable Shaders" parameter in registry and there was noticable difference. It prolonged the use of these machines for at least a year or two. So If you do select this Zenbook for you work, then this will sure increase 3D performace in AC 14 and 15.

I was at the same question a month ago for one customer and he had chosen this Sony Vaio
Thanks! WIll try that if we go for zenbook (or LenovoX1...) Mats
AC 25 SWE Full

Mats_Knutsson
Advisor
Thomas wrote:
Mats_Knutsson wrote:
Mats, the Mac sites are ripe with rumors as usual... but they may be right in predicting a 15" macBook Air with better graphics, that would be in line with Apple's current direction. Probably coming in January, if you can wait.
You're a true MacThomas 😉 The 15" is too heavy. I need lighter stuff.
AC 25 SWE Full

Thomas Holm
Booster
Mats_Knutsson wrote:
...You're a true MacThomas 😉 The 15" is too heavy. I need lighter stuff.
Sure. The 13 will be faster too. But you're free to buy any pice of crap if you like 😉
AC4.1-AC26SWE; MacOS13.5.1; MP5,1+MBP16,1