Installation & update
About program installation and update, hardware, operating systems, setup, etc.

Any way to rescue / repair a AC13 project file?

Anonymous
Not applicable
My hardware's been a bit unreliable as of late and the system has been crashing randomly using Archicad 13 (and other software as well). I've had a few similar problems with the .pln's earlier and the .bpn's have always helped me out. Now it seems that both the pln and the bpn are somehow corrupt and AC13 won't be able to open them. It just reads the files for a moment and then goes to the screen which you get when all projects are closed.

Is there any way to try to rescue these project files? I've tried the merge file-trick and that didn't help. Also the autosave-folder wasn't of much help.
6 REPLIES 6
Erika Epstein
Booster
Have you tried them on another computer ? If it's the computer that is having more than just a bad hair day, the files may be fine on another machine.
Erika
Architect, Consultant
MacBook Pro Retina, 15-inch Yosemite 2.8 GHz Intel Core i7 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
Mac OSX 10.11.1
AC5-18
Onuma System

"Implementing Successful Building Information Modeling"
Anonymous
Not applicable
Erika wrote:
Have you tried them on another computer ? If it's the computer that is having more than just a bad hair day, the files may be fine on another machine.
Sure, no help there. Both were PC's.
Anonymous
Not applicable
The autosave folder did not work? Did you searched for a @global.T file with a recent date?

Anyway, if your bpn (last time you manually saved) is corrupt, anything after that is corrupt too (I guess).

I think the chances are slim, you can recover this file. You should look for the reason why your computer is unstable. As you have noticed it can corrupt files.
Anonymous
Not applicable
The problem with the hardware is related to heating which causes the system to hang after working for a while. There's no file corruption going on besides the Archicad files that won't open after reboot.

Obviously, what I'm looking for is some other way to open the project files. Some command line switch or something that enables Archicad to open the files.
Master wrote:
The autosave folder did not work? Did you searched for a @global.T file with a recent date?

Anyway, if your bpn (last time you manually saved) is corrupt, anything after that is corrupt too (I guess).

I think the chances are slim, you can recover this file. You should look for the reason why your computer is unstable. As you have noticed it can corrupt files.
Anonymous
Not applicable
To my knowledge there are no commandlines options. There is a special menu, but that does not contain any open-functions.
Rick Thompson
Expert
I'm not sure what you would use on a PC, but surly there is something that makes incremental back ups on an external HD like Mac's "Time Machine". It is an absolutely necessary thing to have, in my opinion. If something dies you can go back (to whenever) and resurrect it from the external HD. It has saved my sanity several times due to my own error. I think it is an essential to run a business, along with off site back up.
Rick Thompson
Mac Sonoma AC 26
http://www.thompsonplans.com
Mac M2 studio w/ display