Installation & update
About program installation and update, hardware, operating systems, setup, etc.

Anyone encounter this error? Prot Key is not responding

JCovarrubias
Graphisoft Alumni
Graphisoft Alumni
For: Mac OS X, ArchiCAD 8.0-8.1
single-license USB hardware key locally connected (to USB port)

Anyone encounter this error? Prot Key is not responding (see screenshot).

Thanks!
http://tr.graphisoftus.com/
Jeffry Covarrubias
GS US Technical Support Team Leader
P-C2D 1.86GHz/2GB w/ 256MB GeForce 8600GTS; G4 OS 10.4.10 1GHz/1GB "[that other software] is a fancy set of electronic marker pens"
18 REPLIES 18
Anonymous
Not applicable
A long time ago it happened, when I plugged the protection key into the USB hub.

All is well when the key is plugged into the keyboard.

The G4 Cube has only 2 USB ports on the CPU leaving one short of ports for plugging in the key directly.
Greg Kmethy
Graphisoft
Graphisoft
If you run ArchiCAD 7.0 / 8 /8.1 in native mode, the Kernel extension must be installed, otherwise you will get key not responding errors. The kernel extension will however disable ArchiCAD in Classic with WIBU key.

Read more:

http://www.graphisoft.com/support/archicad/archiguide/wibuinclassic.html
Gergely Kmethy
VP, Customer Success, Graphisoft
Anonymous
Not applicable
gkmethy wrote:
If you run ArchiCAD 7.0 / 8 /8.1 in native mode, the Kernel extension must be installed, otherwise you will get key not responding errors. The kernel extension will however disable ArchiCAD in Classic with WIBU key.
Well, this doesn't fix my problem. I tried my key on a PC and it still gave the not responding error. I have to assume the key's rom has been corrupted???
Djordje
Ace
Mathilde wrote:
A long time ago it happened, when I plugged the protection key into the USB hub.
The hub has to be powered. The Cube especially does not have enough power to run all the USB devices if all the slots are full.
Djordje

ArchiCAD since 4.55 ... 1995
HP Omen
Anonymous
Not applicable
We've seen similar problems just recently. But instead of AC loosing contact with the key, we have a problem with our Network key "filling up" with users. After a while the key, which is set for 15+ site users, begins telling users that all the licenses are used, even though we are not even close to capacity. Tech Support suggests re-starting the WIBU applilication on the server, but this seems more like a patch than a fix.

The WIBU keys may be looking at the number of AC sessions open rather than users logged on, I'm not sure. But we have also had the situation where an AC file has been closed, or the application crashed, and upon attempting to open it again,the system says the file is in use by another user although no one has it open. It's just a wild guess as to whether this contributes to our problem.

Any body else working in a network environment experiencing the same problem?
Djordje
Ace
Tim wrote:
The WIBU keys may be looking at the number of AC sessions open rather than users logged on, I'm not sure.
It is. BG ArchiCAD also takes up a license - so if you have 7 people working in ArchiCAD and updating the layout books in PlotMaker at the same time, they are using 14 licences.
Djordje

HP Omen
Anonymous
Not applicable
Djordje wrote:
Tim wrote:
The WIBU keys may be looking at the number of AC sessions open rather than users logged on, I'm not sure.
It is. BG ArchiCAD also takes up a license - so if you have 7 people working in ArchiCAD and updating the layout books in PlotMaker at the same time, they are using 14 licences.
This seems like a REALLY bad deal for network license users. The local key allows both (or many) sessions to run without any trouble. I am surprized that this is the case, and surprized that the network licensees aren't screaming about it (yet).

It seems that GS ought to fix this ASAP.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Thanks Djordje

Well, we retsarted the WIBU application this morning and have had no problems, We also ran some simple tests and had several users open multiple sessions of AC. With all 15 users working in AC and at least 4 users opening 3 to 4 sessions of AC we had no issues. While this is not a highly scientific test, it does seem to indicate that the key is pinging users, not sessions.

We are setting up a network task to restart the WIBU application at least once a week.

But I am still concerned about why the key is becoming 'loaded' and the strongest guess is still the way a file will hang up when the AC application crashes and yet still thinks the user has the file open.
Djordje
Ace
Tim wrote:
Well, we retsarted the WIBU application this morning and have had no problems, We also ran some simple tests and had several users open multiple sessions of AC. With all 15 users working in AC and at least 4 users opening 3 to 4 sessions of AC we had no issues. While this is not a highly scientific test, it does seem to indicate that the key is pinging users, not sessions.
Oops, my bad! That was the case with one of the previous versions ...

So, Matthew, it has been taken care of
Djordje

HP Omen