Installation & update
About program installation and update, hardware, operating systems, setup, etc.

Anyone using the Mac Mini 3.2GHz 6-core to run Archicad 23

Anonymous
Not applicable
I am thinking to replace my old Mac Pro 2013 with the Mac Mini.

3.2GHz 6‑core 8th‑generation Intel Core i7 (Turbo Boost up to 4.6GHz)
64GB 2666MHz DDR4
Intel UHD Graphics 630
2TB SSD storage
10 Gigabit Ethernet (Nbase-T Ethernet with support for 1Gb, 2.5Gb, 5Gb, and 10Gb Ethernet using RJ‑45 connector)

Any views.

Thanks

Nigel R. Alleyne
5 REPLIES 5
nigelall wrote:
my old Mac Pro 2013 with the Mac Mini
Hello Nigel R. Alleyne,

It seems to be a good device to work on Archicad
Do you need or want to change your computer ?
The only reason it might be a wrong idea to change your mac pro to this mac mini is the graphic card
What's yours ?
Christophe - FRANCE
Archicad Designer and Teacher
Archicad 15 to 27 FRA FULL

OS 11.6 Big Sur - MacBook Pro 2017 - 16Go RAM
"Quality is never an accident ; it's always the result of an intelligent effort" John Ruskin
Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi Christophe,

The Specifications on the Mac Pro is:
3.5 GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon E5
64 GB 1866 MHz DDR3
AMD FirePro D500 3 GB
USB 2.0 Bus
Old Thunderbolt port

I was thinking to get one of the eGpu to connect as an external option, also I am impressed with the USB-c ports on the Mini.

What do you think?

Thank

Nigel R. Alleyne
Karl Ottenstein
nigelall wrote:

I was thinking to get one of the eGpu to connect as an external option, also I am impressed with the USB-c ports on the Mini.
Without the eGPU, you won't be able to run TwinMotion or lots of other GPU based apps. Not sure how much of a hit the Intel graphics would have on AC itself. And, as good as Thunderbolt 3 is, an eGPU will not perform as well as the same graphics card on the internal bus according to various benchmarks...

By the time you add in the eGPU enclosure, and graphics card, the mini-eGPU combination costs more than an iMac ... which includes a beautiful retina 5K 27" display ... so I'm curious what the appeal of the Mini is?
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
Anonymous
Not applicable
Thanks, Karl,

I overlooked the twinmotion point which depending on the file size my MacPro takes quite some time to render out, I will have to re-look my options.

Thanks again.
I have a Mac mini 8,1 and I'm thinking of buying a Sonnet eGFX Breakaway Box 550W and an ATI Radeon RX Vega 56 Pulse 8GB card. Do you think it will work with Twinmotion?
Mac OSX 13.6.4 | AC 26 INT 3001 FULL