Installation & update
About program installation and update, hardware, operating systems, setup, etc.

Apple Intel Marriage and ArchiCad?

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi,
Any though on this news and effect of it on Archicad?
Thanks,
Joseph
21 REPLIES 21
Thomas Holm
Booster
It should make it easier to port the proccessor-intensive routines between Windows and OSX platforms. At first, GS won't have to re-port the rest, thanks to Rosetta. Later, they won't have to port as much as now, making it easier to maintain both platforms.
AC4.1-AC26SWE; MacOS13.5.1; MP5,1+MBP16,1
TomWaltz
Participant
It's not THAT big a deal.... the operating system and compilers deal more with the processor.

As long as Codewarrior is updated to compile for the Intel processor, Graphisoft should not have much to worry about.
Tom Waltz
TomWaltz
Participant
It's not THAT big a deal.... the operating system and compilers deal more with the processor.

As long as Codewarrior is updated to compile for the Intel processor, Graphisoft should not have much to worry about.
Tom Waltz
Thomas Holm
Booster
Well, now I've read a little of this:
http://developer.apple.com/documentation/MacOSX/Conceptual/universal_binary/universal_binary.pdf

and I'm not so sure it's as easy as I thought before.

I expect Archicad 10/Mac to be PPC-only just like now. It's too late in the development process to change anything that basic.

Then, I think Graphisoft will have to re-plan AC11. This is of course an opportunity for them to rid themselves of a lot of old Mac code, that has been slowing the platform down. I'd guess they'll try to keep all the basic processor-specific code identical on Win and OSX, just having separate code trees for parts (GUI etc) that interact with the O/S.

This would mean that AC11 will be Intel-only, but available for both Windows and Mac.

I think the transition will hurt us Mac users for a while. GS will now probably not bother to port any of the now Wintel-only add-ons for AC10/Mac.

I do hope, and think, that the current Archicad/mac user base is big enough to keep them working with Mac/intel for AC11 and on. In the long run, it will of course make it easier to keep developing for two O/Ss.

And as I see it, a Mac will still be a Mac as long as it has MacOSX, wether it runs on an Intel or an IBM processor. Fewer viruses, easier handling and administration, and less crashes, are reasons enough to go on using Macs.
AC4.1-AC26SWE; MacOS13.5.1; MP5,1+MBP16,1
Dwight
Newcomer
Apple Intel Marriage = Death to Microsoft Windows.
Dwight Atkinson
Anonymous
Not applicable
I'm having "issues" with my new G5.

Wonder if anyone else shares my newfound concerns with Apple for releasing 10.4 too early.

This G5 worked great for two weeks. Fast renderings etc. with 5GB RAM, though not as snap/snap as I'd thought it might be as compared to my old G4. I love the 256MB video RAM compared to just 64MB on two monitors before.

Anyway, seems the entire Hard Drive filled up in the first two weeks, ...all 250GB of it. Since I've not been reborn a speed demon, I was pretty sure something bad was happening. Then the poor machine got too full even to boot.

I've clean-reinstalled just the Tiger, no Apps yet. But may go back to Panther as my Apps were doing just fine with it. (I'm using our trusty G4 for this note.)

We'd been using the G4 as an office server linking a Dell PC to my G5 through it, and setting the G4 to backup to an Iomega external drive every four hours using the Iomega software. It feels as if the backup might have gone into the G5 instead though, somehow, at the rate of 40GB every day.

Ideas anyone? Common problem with Tiger, 10.4.1 perhaps?
Dwight
Newcomer
I know what you mean. Now that computers are plateauing, nothing "snaps" anymore.

New computer owner slogan :"Gee, the new operating system doesn't slow the new machine down as much as I thought it would..."

Am on G5 2.0x2.

Other than the new large search engine disk journal files, no mystery "Filling up" hard drive issues. Perhaps you should check your BitTorrent. Those movies can add up. joke.

If the drive filled up... what were those files?
Dwight Atkinson
__archiben
Booster
Jay wrote:
Anyway, seems the entire Hard Drive filled up in the first two weeks, ...all 250GB of it. Since I've not been reborn a speed demon, I was pretty sure something bad was happening. Then the poor machine got too full even to boot.
i'm on a powerbook G4 with tiger installed. nothing getting too full here. you need to find out just what those files were, as dwight suggested. off the top of my head i can think of two things:

1. logs. did you have any third-party file-sharing apps (eg sharepoints) that are set to create detailed activity logs. or backup logs? etc . . .

2. temporary files not being deleted: everytime i start my computer these days there is something in the trash that hasn't been deleted by the system when it should've. it's called 'recovered files' or something. never emptying your trash would probably help the detritus build up. that or your permissions have been screwed up and some apps aren't able to delete the files they need to when they quit . . .

let us know if you find out more.

by the way - this should've probably been posted to separate topic of its own in this 'hardware' forum . . .

~/archiben
b e n f r o s t
b f [a t ] p l a n b a r c h i t e c t u r e [d o t] n z
archicad | sketchup! | coffeecup
Ralph Wessel
Mentor
Jay wrote:
There is a known problem with a third party device driver (Macally iShock game controller) which can fill your hard drive. Take a look at http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=300893

Could this be the cause of your problem?
Ralph Wessel BArch