Installation & update
About program installation and update, hardware, operating systems, setup, etc.

Apple Intel Marriage and ArchiCad?

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi,
Any though on this news and effect of it on Archicad?
Thanks,
Joseph
21 REPLIES 21
Anonymous
Not applicable
Thanks to all.

Ben, thanks for hints. Tried 'em. Found nothing there. Oh well.

By the way, I submitted the same note under the frantic thread "Computer to fail, Please help." Guess you guys ignored that thread. Gotta go where the readers are, but you're right, my notes here are off-topic and I do feel guilty about it, sorry.

Ralph, through AppleCare I tried to find giant files using instructions like the one in the link you posted. Thank you. But, though the "disk full" message was unequivocal, I couldn't find any overstuffed files using: GO> /var/log .

Hmmm.

Anyway since not even Dwight, who has probably worn out the Tiger by now, has issues with it, maybe I'll just stick with 10.4.1 and keep my fingers crossed. I'll add Apps one by one this time instead of just dumping 40 gigs from my G4 right onto my G5, ...the easy way, ...with Firewire. (Instant backup.) Something probably went wrong in that operation.

Thanks again for the hints, and the sense that Macs still rule. I was beginning to be a doubter. You should see my new intern motor on his Dell laptop. He's a confirmed PC user. But this 2.7 Dual renders faster.

The PC interface to 9.0 seems just a little bit advanced compared to the Macs. Have you guys noticed that?
Dwight
Newcomer
If I could just get my keyboard to not stop working after I have twelve applications open. Restart.

That is a new issue with 10.4.1

AAAAAAaaaarrrrrggggghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!
Dwight Atkinson
Aussie John
Newcomer
10.4.2 will be here soon
Cheers John
John Hyland : ARINA : www.arina.biz
User ver 4 to 12 - Jumped to v22 - so many options and settings!!!
OSX 10.15.6 [Catalina] : Archicad 22 : 15" MacBook Pro 2019
[/size]
Aussie John
Newcomer
back On topic-from what i have read Code warrior is the worse case senario and needs a lot of rewrite.

Is that what ArchiCAD is written in? I hope it is in Xcode.

Apparently Apple has been discouraging use of Codewarrior for last five years. I have a sneaking suspicion Archicad on Mac is not going to be an easy transition. Someone please tell me otherwise. Also it will be very disappointing if Universal Binaries are not used as the PPC mac will become lemons.

I also hope in the near future, GS can chime in as to their intentions.
Cheers John
[/size]
__archiben
Booster
Aussie wrote:
... as the PPC mac will become lemons.
especially if apple aren't really interested in existing mac users . . .

~/archiben
b e n f r o s t
b f [a t ] p l a n b a r c h i t e c t u r e [d o t] n z
archicad | sketchup! | coffeecup
Aussie John
Newcomer
~/archiben wrote:
especially if apple aren't really interested in existing mac users . . .

~/archiben
Actually I think Apple will support PPC for a while. It seems there main apps are already written for universal binaries. What matters though if the developers dont. It would be a pain to have an office with one new intel mac and rest PPC if GS has only written the latest version for intel code. Its very tricky to run two versions of archicad in one office.
Cheers John
[/size]
Thomas Holm
Booster
John, as I wrote above, I don't think GS will maintain universal binaries for very long. I think the present Archicad9/Plotmaker/Mac still is largely made using Codewarrior and also still contains some old Quickdraw code. I would guess AC 10 is due late this year or early 2006 and I do hope that they have read Apple's lips and got rid of Quickdraw - which would help if they decide to make some universal binaries.

But in the following version (presumably AC11) Graphisoft would probably aim to rationalize their programming by unifying the codebase as much as possible, using identical Intel-specific libraries for processor-intensive parts of both the Windows and OSX versions wherever feasible. I'd say this would mean no PPC version of AC11. But now we´re talking 2008 or later. No big problem for us as I see it. If we want to keep current performance-wise, we'll have to upgrade our machines anyway by that time.

Archicad presently needs to utilize multi-threading and other newer techniques that are not yet implemented. This issue concerns both OSs. Unifying on Intel will make it easier for Graphisoft.

These articles do throw some light on the issues:
http://www.nytimes.com/2005/06/11/technology/11apple.html?
http://arstechnica.com/columns/mac/mac-20050608.ars/1
Aussie John
Newcomer
Thomas wrote:
But now we´re talking 2008 or later. No big problem for us as I see it. If we want to keep current performance-wise, we'll have to upgrade our machines anyway by that time.
That is awkward if you have to buy a new machine (Intel) and GS is still PPC.
Cheers John
[/size]
Thomas Holm
Booster
Well, yes. But I would guess that by that time the Rosetta translation, which will work with most OSX apps (remember Archicad is neither 64bit or Altivec), will be fast enough to let you run AC in emulation. If the "roadmaps" indicate any truths, the processors then should be fast enough to let you run it at something like the speed you get today on a PPC machine. This should be fast enough for most tasks. maybe not advanced rendering.

But I don't think AC/Mac will be PPC only by 2007-8. If so, that means that they've killed off the Mac version completely! And I still believe Graphisoft's Mac user base is too big to ignore.

What I said is I think they will stop developing for PPC as soon as it's convenient to do so. And that I think this means no PPC version of AC11.

Still, I'm only guessing. I'm not a beta tester, and under no NDAs.
AC4.1-AC26SWE; MacOS13.5.1; MP5,1+MBP16,1