Installation & update
About program installation and update, hardware, operating systems, setup, etc.

ArchCAD 9 magic Wand Settings bug / trick

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi all,
this drove me nuts, I am not sure if it's a bug in the Magic Wand Settings, or just something to be aware of.
I changed the value in the Segments along Arcs/Circles setting to 6 to create a hexagon. After that, even though I selected the Deviations from Curves Method in the magic wand settings dialog, when I used profiler or the barrel vault roof tool, the shapes weren't curved, each section was flat. When I set the value in the Segments along Arcs/Circles setting back to 36, even though I still had the Deviations from Curves Method selected, roofs and profiles became curves again.
i assumed that if I selected the Deviations from Curves Method, the other box would be ignored.
I also assumed that if I wasn't using the magic wand this setting wouldn't effect what I was doing. Luckily someone happened to ask a question about barrel vaulted roofs that was the same as the problem I was having, and someone else mentioned changing this setting. However they didn't say that it effects the roof tool and profiler even if not selected. This is especially baffling as the magic wand works properly to create a circular slab inside a circle, and not a hexagon when the settings are as first mentioned!!
Cheers,
Linda
1 REPLY 1
Djordje
Ace
Magic wand settings influence all outline tracing tools.

If you set it to Linear segments, than you get polygons with as many sides as set.

If you set to Best match, the outline will be approximated to the max number of linear segments that you set - 36 is a good balance between precision and the polygon count. If you have arcs with large radius, use segments per arc, not per circle.

In general, forget Deviation from curves.
Djordje

ArchiCAD since 4.55 ... 1995
HP Omen