Installation & update
About program installation and update, hardware, operating systems, setup, etc.
SOLVED!

ArchiCAD 10 Translator compatibility

Trying to install ArchiCAD 25 on my laptop. I'm running Mojave so that I can still use the old ArchiCAD 10 translator version (for opening files easier than 10, or which I have a lot--some ooooold jobs come back online). Anyway, I'm getting the report that AC25 can't be installed on Mojave, but updating to Catalina or Big Sur will render (pardon the pun) ArchiCAD 10 unable to run.

Are there any current solutions for opening "pre-ArchiCAD 10" files while running Catalina or Big Sur?

Running Big Sur on my desktop though.
Rex Maximilian, Honolulu, USA - www.rexmaximilian.com
ArchiCAD 27 (user since 3.4, 1991)
16" MacBook Pro; M1 Max (2021), 32GB RAM, 1 TB SSD, 32-Core GPU
Apple Vision Pro w/ BIMx
Creator of the Maximilian ArchiCAD Template System
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Karl Ottenstein
Rex wrote:
Maybe I'll need to spend a weekend converting every old project I have to 10 minimum before retiring the translator version. Either that, or get a new laptop and keep the old Air running Mojave.
An external bootable volume (I assume your Air doesn't have enough space for a 50 GB or so internal partition?) is another solution. I have bootable SSD's with full clones of my system from earlier MacOS versions that I can boot back into if I ever need to do stuff with them. Of course, with my iMac Pro, I can run a TB 3 / USB 3.1 external SSD almost as fast as an internal drive. My ancient 2008 Mac Pro had emergency boot clone external drives with Firewire 800. Don't know what kind of speed options your Air might have... But this way, you don't have to deal with Windows 🙂
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
Podolsky
Ace
Windows on Bootcamp with ArchiCAD 10? These days anyway ArchiCAD 10 looks like old ... something - but Windows by another hand is not so bad these days. I actually switched from MacBook Pro to MS Surface Pro and installed Windows 11 via MS Insider program - and I can tell you - much happier then before. No nonsenses. I can have AC10, AC21, AC25 - anything I want. It's stable, it's not crashing. I don't need to write posts like - 'after I updated my MacOS my ArchiCAD became really slow - Oh yes, we know this problem in ArchiCAD, we working on solving it'.
Really recommend you to think about it.
Karl Ottenstein
I've run Windows under Parallels Desktop for years on my Mac, Rex. Currently on Windows 10; the converters for 7, 9 and 10 run fine there, while the Mac itself is running Big Sur.
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
Ahhh, Thanks Karl. I was hoping for a more streamline solution. I know they can't keep updating ArchiCAD "10" of all versions to run with a modern OS. Maybe I'll need to spend a weekend converting every old project I have to 10 minimum before retiring the translator version. Either that, or get a new laptop and keep the old Air running Mojave.
Apple Vision Pro w/ BIMx
Podolsky wrote:
Windows on Bootcamp with ArchiCAD 10?
Thanks for the suggestion.
Apple Vision Pro w/ BIMx
Solution
Karl Ottenstein
Rex wrote:
Maybe I'll need to spend a weekend converting every old project I have to 10 minimum before retiring the translator version. Either that, or get a new laptop and keep the old Air running Mojave.
An external bootable volume (I assume your Air doesn't have enough space for a 50 GB or so internal partition?) is another solution. I have bootable SSD's with full clones of my system from earlier MacOS versions that I can boot back into if I ever need to do stuff with them. Of course, with my iMac Pro, I can run a TB 3 / USB 3.1 external SSD almost as fast as an internal drive. My ancient 2008 Mac Pro had emergency boot clone external drives with Firewire 800. Don't know what kind of speed options your Air might have... But this way, you don't have to deal with Windows 🙂
Karl wrote:
An external bootable volume (I assume your Air doesn't have enough space for a 50 GB or so internal partition?) is another solution.
But this way, you don't have to deal with Windows 🙂
Haha! No winDOZE, LOL! I thought about this also, but would have to find an old Mojave installer, but I think that may be the course of action. I have about 100 GB free on the Air, but would like to keep that open for handling my Dropbox syncs.

It's a 2014 MBAir, so it's no speed demon, haha! Anyway, I may get a new MBPro. My 2019 iMac (fully loaded) seems dated already because of the new models, but it's still blazing!

Thanks Karl!

P.S.
btw: was thinking how cool it would be to resurrect HTTN!
Apple Vision Pro w/ BIMx
Karl Ottenstein
Rex wrote:
Haha! No winDOZE, LOL! I thought about this also, but would have to find an old Mojave installer, but I think that may be the course of action. I have about 100 GB free on the Air, but would like to keep that open for handling my Dropbox syncs.

It's a 2014 MBAir, so it's no speed demon, haha! Anyway, I may get a new MBPro. My 2019 iMac (fully loaded) seems dated already because of the new models, but it's still blazing!

Thanks Karl!

P.S.
btw: was thinking how cool it would be to resurrect HTTN!
You bet, Rex. No need to look for a Mojave installer... you want to just clone your Air to an external drive. Can be done with Disk Utility, but friendlier with Carbon Copy Cloner, etc.

With all of the fires last year and this, I've thought how fortunate we were to have HTHN back when we did. Might have to resurrect it at Denali or Antarctica the way things are going.

Karl
Karl wrote:
You bet, Rex. No need to look for a Mojave installer... you want to just clone your Air to an external drive. Can be done with Disk Utility, but friendlier with Carbon Copy Cloner, etc.
Thanks Karl!
Apple Vision Pro w/ BIMx