Installation & update
About program installation and update, hardware, operating systems, setup, etc.

ArchiCAD 17 network issues

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hello,

I am having problems opening projects with ArchiCAD 17 that are located on a local area network.With ArchiCAD 15 I just right-click on a project that is located on a shared folder from another computer and click open with ArchiCAD 15.But,with ArchiCAD 17 when I do the same thing ArchiCAD 17 doesn't open that particular project,instead it opens as if I started ArchiCAD 17 itself and all I can do is create a new project or open a project that is local on that computer.I have tons of projects and with ArchiCAD 17 I always must copy the desired project on my local machine and only then can I work on it,and when I finish it I must update it (copy it back on the shared computer).This way someone will likely forget to update the project they were working on and there is a lot of trouble in an instant.The same thing is happening on ArchiCAD 16.Is there a solution to this problem?

Thank you in advance.
11 REPLIES 11
Karl Ottenstein
OS? Peer to peer or server based network? What does a network path look like to an application (explicit path text)?
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
Anonymous
Not applicable
The OS on all computers is Windows 7 64bit Home Premium except for a computer that contains all the data we use.OS on that computer is XP probably 32bit (I don't have a monitor for it so I can't check).My network is peer-to-peer (here is a link to the picture of how it looks like exactly: http://wiki.ngoconnectafrica.org/images/7/71/Peer_to_peer_network.GIF).I am afraid that I cannot answer your third question as I don't know what is explicit path text and I don't know where to look for it.

Thank you for a quick reply.
Barry Kelly
What happens when you open Archicad 17 first and then go through the OPEN menu and browse for the file?
Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
Anonymous
Not applicable
When I start AC17 and go to open file, select the file with .pln, .pla or .bpn I get an error message.Here is the image of the error.
Barry Kelly
But if you copy that exact same file to your local drive you can open it?
Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
Anonymous
Not applicable
Yes,I can open it with no problem.Everything works fine then.The moment I put it on network it won't open(or as I wrote before if I try to open it via right-click-> "open with..." it just opens as if I opened AC alone).I can't even import libraries from the network,I have to copy them on my local drive.And that is happening on all computers in the network.
Karl Ottenstein
Have you mapped the server to a drive letter? Often that helps with some software. (Never seen this issue with AC.) Cannot tell from your screenshot how you actually browsed to that remote folder and what the full path to that file would look like.

Follow the directions here:
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/magazine/ff678296.aspx
to get the full path and paste it in a message here.

Because a local copy works fine, it seems that it is likely either an issue with the path or with the permissions for the folder/file.

Also... to confirm... you definitely have read/write access to the folder/directory that you show in your screenshot? You can right click and create a new file there and also delete it?

PS Personally, I've found it a nightmare trying to get Window 7 and XP to share files. It's possible that the issue is something related to how that was done in your office and whoever got it working might have to help resolve this.
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
Anonymous
Not applicable
Yes,I am sure that the path is right.I am not at work right now so I cannot make a new screenshot showing the full path,but I know the path in my head.I go to Computer and from there I go to network and from there I navigate to the desired folder.My full path looks like this: \\Com 1\d\folder name\project name\project.pln."Com 1" is the computer containing all the projects and "d" is a partition shared on that computer.I have full access to that whole partition(I can create and delete files and folders in it as I please).I find it strange that with AC15 everything works fine,I can open projects directly from the network and save them directly to the network and everything.I had no issues whatsoever.But with AC17 I cannot.I have the same problem with AC16 also.
Karl Ottenstein
Try assigning \\Com 1\d\folder name to a drive letter and see if using the drive letter instead of the server name (and partial path after server) makes a difference.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/create-shortcut-map-network-drive#1TC=windows-7