BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024

Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!

Installation & update
About program installation and update, hardware, operating systems, setup, etc.

ArchiCAD 21 failing to generate section/elevation & 3D render

Anonymous
Not applicable
At some point in the process of completing the project, I noticed that one of my section views is blank in the layout, upon opening the source view I discovered it to be blank, somehow only the detail markers are displayed. Switching to another layer combination brings back the layers that are supposed to show, but the moment I switch back to my preferred section layer things become blank again.

Later I found out that changing the model view option, scale or graphic override brings back the elements, but it's only a temporary fix. What's more vexing is that it seems to be happening randomly on different sections and elevations, like a rotating strike. If it were only the view that's affected I suppose I can work around it, but my exported layouts have random blank drawings!

Also 3D render engine refuses to render anything, acting similarly to the blank sections. Both these issue present themselves after using the program for a few minutes upon startup, when freshly opened things are normal.

I would appreciate any suggestions on how to deal with this issue, surely it must be a glitched caused by something unknown. Perhaps migrating to a new project file would help, I'd need a tutorial on how to import and export the views and layouts over...
6 REPLIES 6
Lingwisyer
Guru
My first guess would be that you are running out of RAM, which does not meet the minimum hardware requirements. This would result in the failure during the generation of renders, and I assume the same for 2D views built from the 3D model. This would also support the random parts disappearing as I am assuming that it would show what ever it has managed to generate before it ran out of RAM.

Ling.

AC22-23 AUS 7000Help Those Help You - Add a Signature
Self-taught, bend it till it breaksCreating a Thread
Win11 | i9 10850K | 64GB | RX6600 Win10 | R5 2600 | 16GB | GTX1660
Barry Kelly
Lack of RAM seems like a reasonable cause to your problem.
I would also check how much space you have left on your hard drive.
Delete temp files and empty your recycle bin.

Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
Anonymous
Not applicable
Thank you both for the replies. Indeed my RAM is a little short, especially for 3D rendering, but upon opening up Task Manager I see that there exists sufficient free memory available, but for testing purposes I increased my paging file to 10GB to see if has any affect. It doesn't seem to work... One explanation could be that ArchiCAD distinguishes between RAM and paged memory, and demands a minimum amount of free RAM in order to function properly, regardless of the current state of virtual memory usage, meaning extending RAM size is the only way to go.

But this doesn't seem very plausible, I've ran out of memory before during 3D rendering, during the process Archicad stops the render and displays a message saying the render could not be completed due to low memory. It didn't refuse to render anything at all, not even a preview in my case now.

For the time being I found out way to cope with it, every time the sections "blanks out", I switch to a backup section that has a different model view option with the same settings, basically a clone. This way I always have one that's displaying properly and won't mess up my presentation. (Thankfully this blank epidemic affects one to two views at most)

As for 3D render, I'll just have to restart the program ever time, fortunately I don't have many opportunities left to do them, just one last exterior render, will need to find some good plant objects for a nice look.
Anonymous
Not applicable
With all the messing around working with multiple sections and restarting the program / computer why not spend a couple of hundred dollars on some RAM, you’ve probably already lost thousands in lost productivity with your current work arounds.
Lingwisyer
Guru
sboydturner wrote:
why not spend a couple of hundred dollars on some RAM

By their signature, the system appears to be a laptop, which might not be so convenient to upgrade... though a quick search suggests that there might be a two un-soldered slots with only one in use.

Ling.

AC22-23 AUS 7000Help Those Help You - Add a Signature
Self-taught, bend it till it breaksCreating a Thread
Win11 | i9 10850K | 64GB | RX6600 Win10 | R5 2600 | 16GB | GTX1660
Emil Meijer
Graphisoft Alumni
Graphisoft Alumni
Lingwisyer wrote:
there might be a two un-soldered slots with only one in use.
Considering that the description says 6GB, both slots should already be filled (4GB + 2GB).

Seems like the device (Toshiba SATELLITE L50) supports up to 16GB of DDR3L RAM (1600 MHz), so upgrading it with two 8GB sticks seems fully possible.
Learn and get certified!