Installation & update
About program installation and update, hardware, operating systems, setup, etc.
SOLVED!

ArchiCAD 22 Mojave Crashing

joelsdg
Enthusiast
Hi All,
I knew there may be some issues after installing AC22 after upgrading my MacOS to Mojave. But this one has me stumped:
ArchiCAD 22 opens fine, but when I click the green dot to take the application "full screen", it crashes. Every time. Doesn't matter if I open an existing project or start fresh from the Graphisoft ArchiCAD 22 Template.
The weird part, is that it only happens with my User in the MacOS. I'm not sure how much everyone knows, but in order to keep my MacBook more secure, I have one Standard User (which I use for my everyday use) and then I have one Administrator User for installing software, etc. The crash only happens with my Standard User.
I tried giving the Standard User "admin" rights, but that didn't help. I know I could create a new Standard User (and I still might try that), but migrating all of my info would be time consuming, if that was indeed the problem. And ArchiCAD 21 runs without the crashing on "full screen" under Mojave.

My question, basically: Has anyone experienced this type of issue?

Thanks for any help,
Joel
MBP mid-2012, MacOS 10.14.1
AC 6.5-26; macOS Ventura; 2019 MacBook Pro 2.4gHz, i9
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Ralph Wessel
Mentor
GS developers have taken a look at my installation and think they have the answer.

For anyone impacted by the issue, there seems to be a simple solution - just manually resize the main ARCHICAD window and the crashing stops when you go to full-screen. I'd never manually resized the main window since installing AC22, but now that I have the crash never happens. So it appears to be a problem with the default (installation) state.
Ralph Wessel BArch

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
Ralph Wessel
Mentor
Thought I'd try that to see if I get the same problem, and… crash. Seems it happens to me too.

I was debugging at the time, so the stack trace is attached for reference.
Ralph Wessel BArch
DGSketcher
Legend
I have a late 2013 iMac running Mojave 10.14.1 which I use as a single user with admin rights. I am not getting a crash with the green dot full screen option.

I don't think I could run AC in that mode as it hides the menu bar, which I frequently access and it gains so little space on a 27" screen anyway.
Apple iMac Intel i9 / macOS Sonoma / AC27UKI (most recent builds.. if they work)
Erwin Edel
Rockstar
No idea if it is related, but I believe there are (still) issues with Nvidia GPU and Mojave until Nvidia releases proper driver for it.

Still running High Sierra since all our MACs are using Nvidia GPU.
Erwin Edel, Project Lead, Leloup Architecten
www.leloup.nl

ArchiCAD 9-26NED FULL
Windows 10 Pro
Adobe Design Premium CS5
joelsdg
Enthusiast
Thanks, Ralph, DGS & Erwin;
Ralph, I appreciate that you could recreate the problem. That's outstanding. I guess I can only hope it's fixed in a future release, if indeed, it can be fixed. Otherwise, I sent plenty of Bug Reports , and added details to maybe half of them, so maybe GS can use that info.

DGSketcher, I don't need to run full screen, but during my commute, when I'm only using the MacBook Pro's 15" screen it's helpful. Plus, it's a workflow I've grown accustomed to at all times (even when using external displays) when I'm able to swipe between open apps.

Erwin, that's a good piece of info, since I do have the Nvidia GT 650 card (along with the Intel). That makes me more hopeful, that a fix is possible.

Thanks again,
Joel
Solution
Ralph Wessel
Mentor
GS developers have taken a look at my installation and think they have the answer.

For anyone impacted by the issue, there seems to be a simple solution - just manually resize the main ARCHICAD window and the crashing stops when you go to full-screen. I'd never manually resized the main window since installing AC22, but now that I have the crash never happens. So it appears to be a problem with the default (installation) state.
Ralph Wessel BArch
joelsdg
Enthusiast
Ralph,
I had lost track of this thread, and just wrote an email to GS Tech Support because it still happens to me. I've tried your "fix" but it did not solve my problem.
I've reset as many preferences to "default" as possible. And it's still crashing.

Joel
joelsdg
Enthusiast
After emailing with GS Tech Support, I found out it was because I was running two screens. Just running AC on an external screen and closing the lid to my laptop seems to have solved the problem. I haven't explored further, but I was able to get AC to finish opening and I even worked on an existing project for a couple of minutes. I will soon start moving future projects to AC22 and see if the solution still works.

Thanks for offering any help/solutions.

Joel