BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Installation & update
About program installation and update, hardware, operating systems, setup, etc.
SOLVED!

ArchiCAD 22 Severe Performance Issues

Chris Grantham
Advocate
I just downloaded 22 and have started to play with it (no production yet), and have found to it be incredibly laggy and slow to the point where it is unusable for any type of project. All I have done thus far is open the default template. By all accounts I have plenty (albeit slightly older) of computer to run it. Anyone else having this problem?
16" MacBook Pro M1 Max
Mac OS 12.2.1
ArchiCAD 25 Build 6005
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Chris Grantham
Advocate
Well... long story short I ended up doing an erase and clean install of MacOS and now every problem I have ever had is solved. I feel worse for the my IT Pro who was helping me set up a remotely hosted Bimcloud! We couldn't figure out what the problems was. Now 22 works great, and the remote Bimcloud Basic set up is the fastest teamwork scenario I have ever worked on! Sorry this was a whole lot of noise for nothing.

So Ralph, you win!

Scott/Erwin, yes I am running the intel iris graphics card. When I purchased the machine I had it fully spec'd out save an enormous SSD. It seemed crazy that it would already be outdated, but I'll give it another year. 32gb of ram is very enticing on a laptop!
-Chris
16" MacBook Pro M1 Max
Mac OS 12.2.1
ArchiCAD 25 Build 6005

View solution in original post

14 REPLIES 14
Eduardo Rolon
Totally the oposite.
Eduardo Rolón AIA NCARB
AC27 US/INT -> AC08

Macbook Pro M1 Max 64GB ram, OS X 10.XX latest
another Moderator

Karl Ottenstein
ejrolon wrote:
Totally the oposite.
Same here - 22 feels much more responsive than 21. I posted earlier today, but that post got deleted - I noticed the forum was giving error messages... hope too many other posts by folks weren't also deleted during a database restoration.

Chris, it may be related to your older graphics adapter. You might want to contact tech support to see if they have any ideas.
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
Barry Kelly
Maybe adding the Graphisoft folders to your anti-virus exceptions list might help.
It seemed to work for version 20.
I haven't noticed any problems with 22, but then I have these exceptions already in place.

https://archicad-talk.graphisoft.com/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=59564

Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
James B
Graphisoft
Graphisoft
I'm not sure if this will help. In the Work Environment / Advanced Redraw Options, Memory Usage slider. Trying moving the slider down one position from the High position.
James Badcock
Graphisoft Senior Product Manager
Chris Grantham
Advocate
Hey Guys,
Thanks for the responses. I just tested 22 on the iMac in the office and it is a night and day difference. I am however slightly surprised that it would run so poorly on my Macbook Pro.
James, I tweaked those work environment settings you mentioned but that didn't help. Thanks for the suggestion though.

Barry, since I am on a mac im not sure I have anti-virus exceptions. Am I missing something?

I have had some other funny behavior with my MBP, so it might be time for a clean install. It may also be the case that the life span for a MBP for this type of work is only about 3.5-4 years.

Thanks again guys.
16" MacBook Pro M1 Max
Mac OS 12.2.1
ArchiCAD 25 Build 6005
Barry Kelly
Chris wrote:
Barry, since I am on a mac im not sure I have anti-virus exceptions. Am I missing something?
I don't know sorry.
I have never used a Mac.
I have heard they are much safer against viruses but I assumed that they would still have some sort of virus protection.
Maybe a Mac user could say.

Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
Ralph Wessel
Mentor
Chris wrote:
Hey Guys,
Thanks for the responses. I just tested 22 on the iMac in the office and it is a night and day difference. I am however slightly surprised that it would run so poorly on my Macbook Pro.
James, I tweaked those work environment settings you mentioned but that didn't help. Thanks for the suggestion though.

I have had some other funny behavior with my MBP, so it might be time for a clean install. It may also be the case that the life span for a MBP for this type of work is only about 3.5-4 years.

Thanks again guys.
The performance of that machine shouldn't be so markedly different from one version of AC to another – a 4 year old MBP should be fine for most purposes. You could try reinstalling AC22 for a start. Also, run the diagnostics in Disk Utility to make sure there isn't something amiss with your data storage (best done by booting into recovery mode). If that fails, you can reinstall the OS from recovery mode without disrupting anything else you have installed – it's very rare that you need to do that though.

It's possible you have installed something long ago that is now dragging the machine down, but I would have expected it to affect other things too. Take a look at what's happening in Activity Monitor while using AC22 to see if anything else is hogging the processor.

If all else fails, someone from GS support or Apple might be able to run some diagnostics.
Ralph Wessel BArch
Anonymous
Not applicable
Chris,
Does your MacBook Pro have a discreet graphics card or is it using the Intel Iris graphics. The integrated graphics is not powerful enough to smoothly run ArchiCAD these days
Scott
Erwin Edel
Rockstar
If that iMac is an older model, it might not be a 'retina' type machine and won't be trying to push so many pixels.

If it is a lot more recent, it probably has a better GPU.

If you have a NVIDIA gpu in there, you might try installing the NVIDIA web driver to see if it makes any difference.

If it only has the Intel HD Graphics 4000, as Scott pointed out: that won't cut it.
Erwin Edel, Project Lead, Leloup Architecten
www.leloup.nl

ArchiCAD 9-26NED FULL
Windows 10 Pro
Adobe Design Premium CS5
Learn and get certified!