Installation & update
About program installation and update, hardware, operating systems, setup, etc.

ArchiCAD 22 on Big Sur (Mac OS 11)

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hello,

I know Graphisoft will not ensure compatibility of AC 22 with BigSur. But that doesn't mean it doesn't work.

I am on AC 22 and installed BigSur on an external drive for evaluation. So far, I've only encountered a few cosmetic issues on the radio buttons and tabs. But I only use the external drive occasionally for testing. It is therefore not excluded that I missed a major problem.

I am looking for user reviews of AC 22 on BigSur (only with Intel processor).

thank you,
Regards,
6 REPLIES 6
matjashka
Enthusiast
I know there's a similar recent topic about this, but I'm not asking about Catalina. (v22 works great on Catalina BTW). Yes, I have read the knowledge base docs saying that v22 will not be made compatible with Mac OS 11.

I have to start working on a new computer that comes with Big Sur (don't have it yet), but I have important projects on v22 that I know may break if converted to v24.

Can anyone share what specific problems I will encounter?
Thanks!
Matt Krol [LinkedIn]
BHMS Architects and Planners, Chicago
AC 10 ... 26 USA
I installed Big Sur on my machine at home. I thought AC22 actually ran faster on Big Sur than Mojave. Have tried it with AC23 and AC24 as well. So far, no significant problems.

I would suggest you hear the same news from a few more people than just me before taking the plunge.
Think Like a Spec Writer
AC4.55 through 27 / USA AC27-4060 USA
Rhino 8 Mac
MacOS 14.2.1
matjashka
Enthusiast
Thanks Aaron. I like the fact that v22 actually ran on Big Sur.
Awaiting more reports. The upgrade will happen no matter what, I'm just bracing for impact.
Matt Krol [LinkedIn]
AC 10 ... 26 USA
matjashka
Enthusiast
I opened a thread about this just yesterday. Thanks for your report!
I wish we could somehow merge the threads -- I guess people will have to sift through search results. I will soon be forced to install v22 on a machine that comes with Big Sur, I will report back.
Matt Krol [LinkedIn]
AC 10 ... 26 USA
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
I have merged the two topics, some of the latest answers may seem redundant because of that.
Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27
matjashka
Enthusiast
I'm about two weeks into working on a computer that came with Big Sur pre-installed.
ArchiCAD 22 and 24 were installed on top of it. We use software licenses only.

If you install v22 on Big Sur, it will most likely not hurt your daily work in any manner. Modeling, 2D work, basic rendering, all work. No problems when I open, edit, or save data on existing Teamwork projects. Not a single crash.

There are minor visual problems witch window "chrome" (i.e. elements of window interface) but they are completely workable. I noticed a few missing logos that had to be re-linked into projects. This could be caused by the OS or by the fact that the server is now on a different network.
Matt Krol [LinkedIn]
AC 10 ... 26 USA