BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024

Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!

Installation & update
About program installation and update, hardware, operating systems, setup, etc.
SOLVED!

ArchiCAD 24 + Big Sur

rm
Expert
We have been working with AC 24 and Big Sur, begrudgingly. Every piece of software we use is up to speed with Big Sur ..... EXCEPT for AC 24!

Yes, AC 24 works with Big Sur, but it is slow responding to commands, or pulling up complex 3D views. We are constantly getting erroneous error messages and frozen screens, which we did not have with AC 23.

Big Sur was released on Nov 12, it's Jan 25 and we still have not heard from GS that they have a stable and "safe" version of AC 24 running on Big Sur. GS continually is slow at getting AC to work with the most current version of OSX, continually blaming Apple. I'm not hearing the same issues from Adobe, Microsoft, Intuit...etc, etc.

Does anyone what the hold up is with GS?
Robert Mariani
MARIANI design studio, PLLC
Architecture / Architectural Photography
www.robertmariani.com

Mac OSX 13.1
AC 24 / 25 / 26
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Robby
Booster
Robert,

I guess the point of your original post was that AC24 does not work well with Big Sur. That is true and GS itself warns us to not upgrade. It is frustrating, but not the end of the world. You have choices: don't upgrade, or change software.
My problem with your posts are the inaccurate statements made along the way in trying to prove the point. Less opinions and rants and more facts = better posts!
Rob Marelli-
AC 26 & 27
MacBook Pro (2021) M1 Max -32 Gb RAM - Sonoma 14

View solution in original post

29 REPLIES 29
Robby
Booster
I'm confused! you say:
"Every piece of Software is up to speed EXCEPT for AC 24!"

I took a look at Adobe's page of compatibility and known issues:https://helpx.adobe.com/download-install/kb/macos-big-sur.html#known-issues
And it doesn't much seem like they are up to speed...

I then get even more confused when you say that all these problems you have on AC24 magically disappear when you use AC23? Really? So AC23 is more compatible with Big Sur than AC24 ? Are you sure?
Rob Marelli-
AC 26 & 27
MacBook Pro (2021) M1 Max -32 Gb RAM - Sonoma 14
rm
Expert
Robby wrote:
I'm confused! you say:
"Every piece of Software is up to speed EXCEPT for AC 24!"
Let me clarify, erroneous errors and screen freezes we are now experiencing using AC24 with Big Sur do not occur with the same models being used in AC23 or AC24 running Catalina.

As a matter of fact, we also occasionally run AC24 in Windows 10 Pro via BootCamp on our Macs, so we can implement Lumion. In this configuration, we do not get the same error messages or freezes we are getting running AC24 in Big Sur.

As for Adobe software, are you using it? We use PS, LR, Acrobat, Bridge and Illustrator with very complex and large images. No screen freezes, no erroneous errors, no sudden crashes from hitting the "save" command, they just work. Same goes with our accounting software, printing software and the like.

Graphisoft sends us a bill every year for our SSA licenses, which manages to arrive on time every year. If you don't pay it, they terminate your license. They seem to have no problems with keeping on top of that.

For more than a decade now, we live in a world where GS seem bond to issuing new versions of AC yearly, to upsell features that often don't keep up with current versions of the Mac OS and in some cases, pending issues get left to for the next version, or never get resolved. I am not sure if this holds true on the Windows side with AC, as we don't use it as often.

Graphisoft needs to slow the release cycle of AC, quit worrying about AutoDesk and give us rock solid software that works without the caveat of "not ready for the current OS".

Attached is two separate screen shots of a building we are designing that we think is not overly large or complex. However, there is a lot of steel we need to hide in the design that we are working out. We are constantly switching from 3D view, to plan, to section and back to work out details. This is throwing AC24 with Big Sur fits, as it struggles often to regenerate view be they 2D or 3D. I also attached a typical, error message that pops up on screen, giving no useful information.

Robert Mariani
www.robertmariani.com

Mac OSX 13.1
AC 24 / 25 / 26
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
Robert,

Did you read Graphisoft's recommendations about Big Sur?:

https://helpcenter.graphisoft.com/knowledgebase/129835/

As far as I see, they stated clearly that they do not recommend updating to Big Sur just yet.

The potential gain of an OS upgrade should be weighted against the inconveniences that a downgrade may cause.
If you are using your Mac for work, we recommend waiting for several OS updates before upgrading to Big Sur.

It is highly recommended to read the macOS and Archicad article to learn more about this process and see our recommendations.

GRAPHISOFT plans to maintain the compatibility of Archicad 23, 24, and BIMcloud.
Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27
rm
Expert
LaszloNagy wrote:
Robert,

Did you read Graphisoft's recommendations about Big Sur?:

GRAPHISOFT plans to maintain the compatibility of Archicad 23, 24, and BIMcloud.

Hi Laszlo,

I would ask you the same, did you read my post fully?

Of course I read GS's recommendation; multiple times over the last 2 months, hoping they would change the status! The world, along with all our other key software developers, is moving forward with Big Sur, many are even ready for M1 Macs and Big Sur. I can't let GS continually hold our office back from updating to the latest OS from Apple. There is no excuse at this point for GS not to have a stable version of AC24 running on Big Sur, none - full stop!

The point of my post is that GS continues to take too long to keep up with the Mac OS every time a new version of the OS comes out. This has been the case for several years now, nothing is changing in this regard at GS. Lets not forget here, while Apple released Big Sur in early Nov., GS, along with all other major software developers, had access to Big Sur developer software, several months before the release of it in Golden Master last Nov.

My hope is GS will do a good job preparing for the new M1 chip machines Apple is transitioning into for the next two years.
Robert Mariani
www.robertmariani.com

Mac OSX 13.1
AC 24 / 25 / 26
Barry Kelly
rm wrote:
Graphisoft sends us a bill every year for our SSA licenses, which manages to arrive on time every year. If you don't pay it, they terminate your license. They seem to have no problems with keeping on top of that.

Correction.
If you do not pay your SSA fees, your licenses will not be terminated.
You still have up to the current version you have paid for and can keep using it for as long as you want.
I am pretty sure all Archicad licenses work like this - whether they be a physical codemeter key or software license.
It is certainly true for the physical codemeter keys.

You will lose the ability to upgrade to the next version (at no extra cost) and you will also lose other benefits such as support and insurance for lost licenses.

Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
rm
Expert
Barry wrote:

Correction.
If you do not pay your SSA fees, your licenses will not be terminated.
You still have up to the current version you have paid for and can keep using it for as long as you want.
I never stated that you can't continue the use of the current software, that's a given. I stated they terminate your license ( as in SSA ) which means no next update or priority support.

....... next?!
Robert Mariani
www.robertmariani.com

Mac OSX 13.1
AC 24 / 25 / 26
Barry Kelly
To me 'terminate' means gone for good.
We all know what you mean now which is what is important.

Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
Karl Ottenstein
rm wrote:

I never stated that you can't continue the use of the current software, that's a given. I stated they terminate your license ( as in SSA ) which means no next update or priority support.
Other subscription software ceases working when the license is terminated if the subscription is not renewed. (Well, it varies. Other stuff becomes at least feature-crippled - e.g., Adobe Lightroom becomes read-only, other Adobe software ceases to work. Quicken looses the ability to download. Etc.). Hence, it is important to emphasize what Barry posted since all kind of people new to ARCHICAD or even just looking at ARCHICAD may come across this thread via a search. Your license is active indefinitely. Ending SSA does not end updates to THAT version... and updates are released for up to a year or more after the next version is release. It only ends priority support and updates to new releases.

All of that said, sorry to hear that you upgraded to Big Sur. I've continued to postpone the upgrade. We've been in this situation with prior MacOS updates and it is most unfortunate for people purchasing new Macs as they have no option but to run the most current MacOS.

Cheers,
Karl
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
Karl Ottenstein
PS. And here's what one of those "other" companies says for their software:
Autodesk:
Can I access my software after my subscription expires?

By:
Support
Jan 09 2020

When your subscription expires, you can no longer access your software or cloud services. However, you can still view and share your projects using our free viewers.

Note: After your subscription expires, you can't renew it. To purchase a new subscription, go to the Autodesk online store.
https://knowledge.autodesk.com/search-result/caas/sfdcarticles/sfdcarticles/Can-I-access-my-software...

Again, this is in stark contrast to GRAPHISOFT which lets us continue to use our software indefinitely.
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
Learn and get certified!