Installation & update
About program installation and update, hardware, operating systems, setup, etc.
SOLVED!

ArchiCAD 24 + Big Sur

rm
Expert
We have been working with AC 24 and Big Sur, begrudgingly. Every piece of software we use is up to speed with Big Sur ..... EXCEPT for AC 24!

Yes, AC 24 works with Big Sur, but it is slow responding to commands, or pulling up complex 3D views. We are constantly getting erroneous error messages and frozen screens, which we did not have with AC 23.

Big Sur was released on Nov 12, it's Jan 25 and we still have not heard from GS that they have a stable and "safe" version of AC 24 running on Big Sur. GS continually is slow at getting AC to work with the most current version of OSX, continually blaming Apple. I'm not hearing the same issues from Adobe, Microsoft, Intuit...etc, etc.

Does anyone what the hold up is with GS?
Robert Mariani
MARIANI design studio, PLLC
Architecture / Architectural Photography
www.robertmariani.com

Mac OSX 13.1
AC 24 / 25 / 26
29 REPLIES 29
rm
Expert
Karl wrote:
rm wrote:

I never stated that you can't continue the use of the current software, that's a given. I stated they terminate your license ( as in SSA ) which means no next update or priority support.
Other subscription software ceases working when the license is terminated if the subscription is not renewed. (Well, it varies. Other stuff becomes at least feature-crippled - e.g., Adobe Lightroom becomes read-only, other Adobe software ceases to work. Quicken looses the ability to download. Etc.). Hence, it is important to emphasize what Barry posted since all kind of people new to ARCHICAD or even just looking at ARCHICAD may come across this thread via a search. Your license is active indefinitely. Ending SSA does not end updates to THAT version... and updates are released for up to a year or more after the next version is release. It only ends priority support and updates to new releases.

All of that said, sorry to hear that you upgraded to Big Sur. I've continued to postpone the upgrade. We've been in this situation with prior MacOS updates and it is most unfortunate for people purchasing new Macs as they have no option but to run the most current MacOS.

Cheers,
Karl
Karl -

Generally I find your replies to be very helpful to all users. In this particular case, your making a non argument and going off on tangents.

The point of my post is to state - GS is not updating AC fast enough to keep up with Apple OS changes - FULL STOP! The apologist here want to keep making excuses for GS. I have spent over 5 figures in my use of AC during my career, I am not letting them off the hook here. I expecpt premium service from a premium software developer. Comparing their model in fess to Adobe, even though I brought Adobe up, is like comparing Apples to Oranges. I referenced Adobe, because the suite of products is working as expected with Big Sur.

One last side note, I don't appreciate this thread being moved without notice to an obscure place in the forum without any notification. Why was it moved? I couldn't even find it without going back to my emails notifying me of post comments. Was someones feelings hurt from this post?!?!
Robert Mariani
www.robertmariani.com

Mac OSX 13.1
AC 24 / 25 / 26
Karl Ottenstein
Hi Robert,

I'm sorry you thought my post was going off on a tangent. We moderators have a duty to correct false information here. You said your license would be terminated if you didn't pay your SSA fee. It will NOT be terminated. Full stop.

If you don't want tangents... don't bring up unrelated things, and false things at that. Enough said.

I don't know why the thread was moved by another moderator, but the forum it is in is where it most reasonably belongs. Any thread may be moved at any time by any moderator to a more appropriate forum. There are half a dozen ways to instantly find it - but that is off topic and you can ask about that on the Forum Related Issues forum if you want.

I share your frustration with the issues raised... but you did upgrade to Big Sur against Graphisoft's advice... and so at this point, I wonder what you are hoping to accomplish by continuing this discussion?

Karl
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
rm
Expert
Karl -

You just stated I made a false statement about information regarding payment of SSA license, which I didn't. Nothing I stated was un-true. I suggest you read my reply to Barry. I also suggest a correction here, on your part, is in order.

As for going against GS recommendations to hold off on moving to Big Sur, that is my decision for my business not yours. That said, if my practice used only one application ( AC ) and we didn't buy any new computers forcing the use of Big Sur (as you acknowledged occurs) I wouldn't think this is a big deal.

If you or any other moderator don't agree with my premise here, that doesn't make you right or me wrong. It means you have a differing opinion. A courtesy notification of the thread being moved would have been appropriate and professional.

Lets not make this forum like Twitter, FB and the like; that sensors opposing views to those of the "gatekeepers". This forum is supposed to be an exchange of ideas, whether you consider them useful to you or not. I hope in the future, the moderators here will exercise a little more judicious restraint before choosing to squelch descending opinions about the software.

Regards!
Robert Mariani
www.robertmariani.com

Mac OSX 13.1
AC 24 / 25 / 26
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
rm wrote:
If you or any other moderator don't agree with my premise here, that doesn't make you right or me wrong. It means you have a differing opinion. A courtesy notification of the thread being moved would have been appropriate and professional.

Robert,
I have moved your post because the issues you mentioned best belong to that category. We move posts all the time, I myself move about a dozen posts every week (many people like to post in the "Archicad+" forum when they have no idea where to put it). The forum software does not offer this notification option you are missing so we can not implement it at this time.

Let us not make this forum like Twitter, FB, and the like; that sensors opposing views to those of the "gatekeepers". This forum is supposed to be an exchange of ideas, whether you consider them useful to you or not. I hope in the future, the moderators here will exercise a little more judicious restraint before choosing to squelch descending opinions about the software.

You are talking about censoring, but tell me: Who censored you? Nobody.
Did anyone tell you that you must not post? No.
Did anyone delete your posts without a good reason (e. g. for breaking forum rules)? No.
This forum is a place for exchanging ideas and this is exactly what you, me, and other moderators are doing about this issue at hand.
Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27
DGSketcher
Legend
rm wrote:
The point of my post is to state - GS is not updating AC fast enough to keep up with Apple OS changes - FULL STOP!
Full agree but it isn't just with the OS, there have been a few headline marketing promises that have not yet appeared, polygon openings and an update to the MEP system are two that come to mind. I know the world is experiencing a crisis but these kind of delayed deliveries predate the current situation and are frustrating if your workflow would benefit from them, especially when you pay your subscription based on what was in the headlines. Back to the main point though, GS knows when the next MacOS is due and some users for various reasons need to keep their OS up to date, telling them that they should wait when other developers are announcing compatibility and new upgrade features is at best irritating.
Apple iMac Intel i9 / macOS Sonoma / AC27UKI (most recent builds.. if they work)
Solution
Robby
Booster
Robert,

I guess the point of your original post was that AC24 does not work well with Big Sur. That is true and GS itself warns us to not upgrade. It is frustrating, but not the end of the world. You have choices: don't upgrade, or change software.
My problem with your posts are the inaccurate statements made along the way in trying to prove the point. Less opinions and rants and more facts = better posts!
Rob Marelli-
AC 26 & 27
MacBook Pro (2021) M1 Max -32 Gb RAM - Sonoma 14
Minh Nguyen
Graphisoft Alumni
Graphisoft Alumni
Dear all,

Thank you very much for your comments and I am truly sorry for the troubles and inconveniences!

As you probably know, we noticed a strange behavior called "heap corruption" crashes, that is happening since macOS Catalina. For more information, please have a look at this article. This issue seems to affect a small number of users with AMD graphics cards. Even though Big Sur has been released for quite a while now, we found that in some of our test machines, the heap corruption crash tends to get worse. Because of this issue, we do not recommend updating to Big Sur yet.

Nevertheless, if you encounter any issue with Archicad running on Big Sur, feel free to reach out to us via local support, or directly to me, and we will be very happy to help!

As far as I know, we did not receive any report regarding Archicad 24's speed on Big Sur, so I think this could be a rare issue. I personally tested Archicad 23 and 24 on Macbook Pro M1 (of course it is on Big Sur), and found no serious performance problem. Robert, if the problem happens with one particular file only, could you share with us the file you are working on and the way to reproduce the slowness for further investigation?

If the problem is not file-specific, we will need to collect some logs, called "Sample Process" when Archicad becomes slow, but please let me know which one is the case.

Thank you very much for your understanding! Looking forward to hearing from you!

Best regards,
Minh

Minh Nguyen
Technical Support Engineer
GRAPHISOFT

rm
Expert
Robby wrote:
Robert,

I guess the point of your original post was that AC24 does not work well with Big Sur.
Exactly!

More facts, less opinion = credible replies.
Robert Mariani
www.robertmariani.com

Mac OSX 13.1
AC 24 / 25 / 26
rm
Expert
mnguyen wrote:
Dear all,

Thank you very much for your comments and I am truly sorry for the troubles and inconveniences!

As you probably know, we noticed a strange behavior called "heap corruption" crashes, that is happening since macOS Catalina. For more information, please have a look at this article. This issue seems to affect a small number of users with AMD graphics cards. Even though Big Sur has been released for quite a while now, we found that in some of our test machines, the heap corruption crash tends to get worse. Because of this issue, we do not recommend updating to Big Sur yet.

Nevertheless, if you encounter any issue with Archicad running on Big Sur, feel free to reach out to us via local support, or directly to me, and we will be very happy to help!

As far as I know, we did not receive any report regarding Archicad 24's speed on Big Sur, so I think this could be a rare issue. I personally tested Archicad 23 and 24 on Macbook Pro M1 (of course it is on Big Sur), and found no serious performance problem. Robert, if the problem happens with one particular file only, could you share with us the file you are working on and the way to reproduce the slowness for further investigation?

If the problem is not file-specific, we will need to collect some logs, called "Sample Process" when Archicad becomes slow, but please let me know which one is the case.

Thank you very much for your understanding! Looking forward to hearing from you!

Best regards,
Minh

Minh -

Thanks for your reply. I am happy to supply the file to of the project we are working on that is performing slowly. Please let me know how you want me to forward it to you.

To be clear, the specific problems we are experiencing with Big Sur are as follows:

1. Escape keep often will not release a tool
2. Switching from Section, to Section, to plan back and for causes delays in screen redraws, sometimes no redraw will not occur at all.
3. Often get the erroneous error message, previously posted.

Interestingly, we recently updated our machines to 16" MBP with the following configuration. You have mentioned previously that some problems have been pointing to certain AMD graphic cards. Is the configuration listed in the included screen shot have one of the cards you are seeing problems with?
Robert Mariani
www.robertmariani.com

Mac OSX 13.1
AC 24 / 25 / 26
Robby
Booster
Thank you Minh!

You mention that the problem with the AMD cards started in Catalina, are you saying its worse in Big Sur?

My machine has an AMD Radeon and I am on Catalina experiencing the random crashes as described in the article you mention so if I upgraded to Big Sur it would get worse?
Rob Marelli-
AC 26 & 27
MacBook Pro (2021) M1 Max -32 Gb RAM - Sonoma 14