BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024

Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!

Installation & update
About program installation and update, hardware, operating systems, setup, etc.
SOLVED!

ArchiCAD 24 + Big Sur

rm
Expert
We have been working with AC 24 and Big Sur, begrudgingly. Every piece of software we use is up to speed with Big Sur ..... EXCEPT for AC 24!

Yes, AC 24 works with Big Sur, but it is slow responding to commands, or pulling up complex 3D views. We are constantly getting erroneous error messages and frozen screens, which we did not have with AC 23.

Big Sur was released on Nov 12, it's Jan 25 and we still have not heard from GS that they have a stable and "safe" version of AC 24 running on Big Sur. GS continually is slow at getting AC to work with the most current version of OSX, continually blaming Apple. I'm not hearing the same issues from Adobe, Microsoft, Intuit...etc, etc.

Does anyone what the hold up is with GS?
Robert Mariani
MARIANI design studio, PLLC
Architecture / Architectural Photography
www.robertmariani.com

Mac OSX 13.1
AC 24 / 25 / 26
29 REPLIES 29
Minh Nguyen
Graphisoft Alumni
Graphisoft Alumni
Robby wrote:
Thank you Minh!

You mention that the problem with the AMD cards started in Catalina, are you saying its worse in Big Sur?

My machine has an AMD Radeon and I am on Catalina experiencing the random crashes as described in the article you mention so if I upgraded to Big Sur it would get worse?
Hi Robby,

Thank you very much for your question!

I cannot say for sure how Big Sur will interact with the machine (not all machines with AMD graphics card are affected by this issue), however, if you already have these random crashes, it would be safer to stay in Catalina and apply the workaround mentioned in the article.

Thank you very much for your understanding! As soon as I have further information, I will let you know!

Best regards,
Minh

Minh Nguyen
Technical Support Engineer
GRAPHISOFT

Minh Nguyen
Graphisoft Alumni
Graphisoft Alumni
rm wrote:

Minh -

Thanks for your reply. I am happy to supply the file to of the project we are working on that is performing slowly. Please let me know how you want me to forward it to you.

To be clear, the specific problems we are experiencing with Big Sur are as follows:

1. Escape keep often will not release a tool
2. Switching from Section, to Section, to plan back and for causes delays in screen redraws, sometimes no redraw will not occur at all.
3. Often get the erroneous error message, previously posted.

Interestingly, we recently updated our machines to 16" MBP with the following configuration. You have mentioned previously that some problems have been pointing to certain AMD graphic cards. Is the configuration listed in the included screen shot have one of the cards you are seeing problems with?
Dear Robert,

Thank you very much for the information! As of now, we do not have the list of “problematic” configuration, as this behavior is not consistent. Some machines can be affected by this issue, while the other machine with exact configuration may not show any problem. We can only tell by the behavior of the crash, as we mentioned in the Help Center article.

I sent you the link via Private Message to receive the files. Please let me know when the process is finished.

Thank you very much!

Best regards,
Minh

Minh Nguyen
GRAPHISOFT

Robby
Booster
Thank you Minh!
Rob Marelli-
AC 26 & 27
MacBook Pro (2021) M1 Max -32 Gb RAM - Sonoma 14
rm
Expert
mnguyen wrote:
rm wrote:

Minh -

Thanks for your reply. I am happy to supply the file to of the project we are working on that is performing slowly. Please let me know how you want me to forward it to you.

To be clear, the specific problems we are experiencing with Big Sur are as follows:

1. Escape keep often will not release a tool
2. Switching from Section, to Section, to plan back and for causes delays in screen redraws, sometimes no redraw will not occur at all.
3. Often get the erroneous error message, previously posted.

Interestingly, we recently updated our machines to 16" MBP with the following configuration. You have mentioned previously that some problems have been pointing to certain AMD graphic cards. Is the configuration listed in the included screen shot have one of the cards you are seeing problems with?
Dear Robert,

Thank you very much for the information! As of now, we do not have the list of “problematic” configuration, as this behavior is not consistent. Some machines can be affected by this issue, while the other machine with exact configuration may not show any problem. We can only tell by the behavior of the crash, as we mentioned in the Help Center article.

I sent you the link via Private Message to receive the files. Please let me know when the process is finished.

Thank you very much!

Best regards,
Minh
Thanks Minh -

File and screen shots uploaded to you.
Robert Mariani
MARIANI design studio, PLLC
Architecture / Architectural Photography
www.robertmariani.com

Mac OSX 13.1
AC 24 / 25 / 26
ethanbodnar
Enthusiast
Any updates on when Archicad 24 will be safe to use with Big Sur?

According to the Knowledge-base:

If you are using your Mac for work, we recommend waiting for several OS updates before upgrading to Big Sur.
Seems good there, https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT211896

March/April/May - 6 months after the macOS Public Release
️ It's March, should be soon that we get the green light right?

Hope GS sends out like an official email, have they done this in the past?

Didn't get an email that PARAM-O was now available for the Mac, seems pretty odd.

Thanks!
Karl Ottenstein
ethanbodnar wrote:
Any updates on when Archicad 24 will be safe to use with Big Sur?
Hope GS sends out like an official email, have they done this in the past?

Didn't get an email that PARAM-O was now available for the Mac, seems pretty odd.

Thanks!
If there are updates, you will see this article updated:

https://helpcenter.graphisoft.com/knowledgebase/129835/

as well as announcements here. Neither has happened, so we can only assume that even the latest Big Sur updates have not resolved the compatibility issues. I would not expect an email about Big Sur compatibility.

PARAM-O is not officially available for the Mac, hence there has been no announcement. Build 5000 which does include PARAM-O for Mac is a PREVIEW update and is not officially released. The official release will show up in the automatic in-product Check for Updates and will include PARAM-O for all users in all regions when it is ready. I would not expect an email then or ever - I've never gotten an email from Graphisoft for such a thing in 20+ years.

I agree that both of these issues are frustrating. The Big Sur one is the most critical since, as mentioned early on, anyone getting a new Mac due to necessity has no choice but to run Big Sur as prior MacOS versions are not an option for them. It is disappointing that Apple has apparently not cooperated more fully with GRAPHISOFT to resolve issues that they created.
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
ethanbodnar
Enthusiast
Thanks Karl!

For sure, bought a new Mac a month before Big Sur to avoid this, grateful for that timing, close call

Just bookmarked that thread, good to know that's where it will be updated when things are good to go, will keep an eye out!
Billy Earnest
Participant
For all the snarky answers, let me state this... I wouldn't have "upgraded to Big Sur" until later, myself, BUT... I needed a new laptop, & I bought a new MacBook Pro, guess which OS version comes loaded on it...THE LATEST. It wasn't a "choice". I have an old iMac that I'm still running AC 21 on, with older OS...hopefully, soon to be replaced with new iMac. See...we CAN'T stop the "forward upgrading" of OS when we ALL constantly & inevitably need new equipment. The we have mis-matched OS & AC versions...what a crock! GS is dragging...always dragging & then we get smug comments. I'm starting to second-guess my devotion to AC, as I live completely "Windows-Free" now...
I 100% AGREE THAT GS NEEDS TO STOP PUTTING OUT ANNUAL UPGRADES & ONLY PUT OUT NEW VERSIONS WHEN THEY ARE READY. Graphisoft, you have shot yourself in the foot by adopting the annual model. I expect that it will eventually be the thing that finishes off this once great software. Anyway... nothing but trouble here, since I got my new MacBook w/Big Sur, & shipped off my old MacBook in the Apple recycling program. I was old & slow, but still ran AC21 ok, once it got up & running. It's a shame when the primary software company we make a living with is the one dragging everything down.
iMac & MacBook Pro
Minh Nguyen
Graphisoft Alumni
Graphisoft Alumni
Billy wrote:
For all the snarky answers, let me state this... I wouldn't have "upgraded to Big Sur" until later, myself, BUT... I needed a new laptop, & I bought a new MacBook Pro, guess which OS version comes loaded on it...THE LATEST. It wasn't a "choice". I have an old iMac that I'm still running AC 21 on, with older OS...hopefully, soon to be replaced with new iMac. See...we CAN'T stop the "forward upgrading" of OS when we ALL constantly & inevitably need new equipment. The we have mis-matched OS & AC versions...what a crock! GS is dragging...always dragging & then we get smug comments. I'm starting to second-guess my devotion to AC, as I live completely "Windows-Free" now...
I 100% AGREE THAT GS NEEDS TO STOP PUTTING OUT ANNUAL UPGRADES & ONLY PUT OUT NEW VERSIONS WHEN THEY ARE READY. Graphisoft, you have shot yourself in the foot by adopting the annual model. I expect that it will eventually be the thing that finishes off this once great software. Anyway... nothing but trouble here, since I got my new MacBook w/Big Sur, & shipped off my old MacBook in the Apple recycling program. I was old & slow, but still ran AC21 ok, once it got up & running. It's a shame when the primary software company we make a living with is the one dragging everything down.
Dear Billy,

Thank you very much for sharing your opinion and I am very sorry for the experience!

The reason we haven't recommended Big Sur yet is due to this issue affecting a small number of users with AMD graphics cards. This issue does not affect Mac machines running on M1 chip. Anyhow, Apple will release update 11.3 soon. Stay tune for our official announcement!

Best regards,
Minh

Minh Nguyen
GRAPHISOFT

BBD
Participant

Im not sure if all these issues have been solved or not but I am in total agreeable with Robert here. Seriously lads you can't expect your clients who are using premium programs from other software companies to have to lag begin on old operating systems because AC is not up to date. Through what I have read up until this point - it's embarrassing to read the GS moderators and techs replies. Pull up your sox. After reading these actually I am seriously considering switching to Autodesk. Get it running well that's all we ask is that really too much to ask? 

Learn and get certified!