BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024

Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!

Installation & update
About program installation and update, hardware, operating systems, setup, etc.

ArchiCAD 7.0 to windows 7

Anonymous
Not applicable
I know, I know. It's old, but it's what I have to work with.

My XP machine's HDD is dying (the machine itself is 11 years old) so I figured it would be time to upgrade my gadget wardrobe. I bought a new laptop in July and after getting a new USB key, I installed ArchiCad 7.0. It works wonderfully! Everything works fine but the text. Punctuation moves when I do notes and dimensions. The punctuation is in the correct place when I am typing or editing. As soon as I click out of the text box, it is changes. The attachment hopefully shows the issues.

I am new to this site, so please be gentle.

Thank you!!
Chris

archicad 1.PNG
2 REPLIES 2
Karl Ottenstein
Interesting! Hard to imagine what might be causing the punctuation to move.

Does this happen with all fonts? It could be an OpenType vs TrueType font issue? I don't think OpenType existed with AC 7 came out.

If your version of Win 7 is Professional or Ultimate, you have the ability to run old programs such as AC 7 in "Windows XP Mode". Don't know if it would help, but perhaps worth a try? Would be the best bet if it works.

If not, then unless someone else has an idea (the Wiki and conversations here have not talked about versions earlier than 9 on Win 7) ... you MIGHT need to run a virtual XP 'machine' on your Win 7 laptop. Usually, it is we Mac users going for this kind of solution in order to run Windows software on our Macs... but it also works for Windows users who need to run something that requires a different operating system.

There is the $80 Parallels Workstation for Windows:
http://www.parallels.com/products/workstation/

VMware is too much $$

And there is the free VirtualBox:
https://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Documentation

then you'd need an XP license, if your old one won't transfer. So a bit of money and effort on top of a brand new laptop, which is why I hope that Win 7 Ultimate or Professional's "XP Mode" does the trick for you instead.
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi there. Thank you for the response. It is win7 home premium.

It does do it with all fonts. Is there an option for opentype vs truetype fonts? At first, I assumes it was a switch that I need to flip. Now I'm guessing it's not that simple.

How much is STAR(T)?

Thanks,
Chris
Learn and get certified!