Installation & update
About program installation and update, hardware, operating systems, setup, etc.

ArchiCAD file size

KNA
Participant
Hello,

I have a project.pln file and its size is 149 Mt. I have deleted everything from the file but it is still 149 Mt. When I save it to project.mod the size reduces to 950 kt. When save the project.mod back to project.pln the file size is 2 Mt. Where´s the missing 147 Mt that I can´t delete from the original file?

Thanks!

KNA
3 REPLIES 3
Barry Kelly
A MOD file contains only the floor plan and 3D elements as well as only those attributes that have been used.
A PLN contains sections, elevations, details, worksheets, views, schedules, layouts, publisher sets, favourites as well as all attributes even if they aren't being used.
There is probably more info as well like hotlink info if there are any hotlinks.

You will never get a PLN down to the size of a MOD file but you can delete unwanted items if they are not needed like unwanted sections/elevations, layouts, schedules, and publishe sets.
I would leave attributes alone unless you know what you are doing.

Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
KNA
Participant
Hello,
Thanks for the reply. I just want to know we is all hidden stuff size 147 Mb. I have deleted all the things you mentioned (and attributes) but size is still 149 Mb. We are doing big projects with the sizes of 500 Mb - 1 Gb so I just want to know is there a way reduce the sizes. I have used ArchiCAD +10 years but mainly as an architect so haven´t worried about the file sizes before. In my new position I´m expected to know a bit more about how the program works
br,
KNA
Barry Kelly
Here is just one post I found when I did a quick search.

https://archicad-talk.graphisoft.com/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=59125&p=277269&hilit=file+size#p277269

It has a link to the HelpCenter which is also a good place to find info.

https://helpcenter.graphisoft.com/troubleshooting/performance/file-size/

Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11