Installation & update
About program installation and update, hardware, operating systems, setup, etc.

ArchiCAD novice, verifying lengths and work with int. dims

Anonymous
Not applicable
I'm working with ArchiCAD version 8. I've been working on getting a copy of the Step by Step book for this version but in the mean time I'm getting stuck on what should be extremely basic features.

I'd love other suggestions for resources on learning the basics if anyone has any ideas. As far as my immediate questions go, is there a simple way to verify the length of objects of walls?

Also I have tried to manually place interior dims and can't get the "nodes" to attach to anything. I can only use the automatic interior dims. Any suggestions on what step I'm missing when trying to place two nodes and just get one simple dimension?
3 REPLIES 3
Anonymous
Not applicable
Seraphim wrote:
I'm working with ArchiCAD version 8. I've been working on getting a copy of the Step by Step book for this version but in the mean time I'm getting stuck on what should be extremely basic features.

I'd love other suggestions for resources on learning the basics if anyone has any ideas. As far as my immediate questions go, is there a simple way to verify the length of objects of walls?
You can either draw a line over the wall, reading the dimension from the co-ordinates pallette before clicking on the second point of the line OR set your user origin temporarily to the first point, hover over the second point and read co-ordinates (sorry, I forgot the shortcut for user origin, never used it much myself) OR use the Element Information pallette from Windows > Pallettes > Element Information menu.
Seraphim wrote:
Also I have tried to manually place interior dims and can't get the "nodes" to attach to anything. I can only use the automatic interior dims. Any suggestions on what step I'm missing when trying to place two nodes and just get one simple dimension?
Be sure to select the correct dimension orientation, vertical, horizontal or angled, and that you are selecting the nodes you want and getting a circular (not square) node indicator. It's best to select intersections of walls rather than points along their length.

HTH
Anonymous
Not applicable
On the first part thank you so much, those are awesome tips and of the little that I do know I actually went over temporarily moving the origin point so I'm good to go on that one.

On the second part about placing dims I've tried all of that. I can place the two circle nodes on either corner of a wall but then when I double click (or hit ok or hit delete) I can't get the little hammer. Someone else helpfully explained to me the version I'm using (the original 8.0) was so full of bugs it was quickly replaced for free with the 8.1 version. I'm looking into trying to get a newer version. Thanks again for your patience in answering, I really appreciate it.
Erich
Contributor
Seraphim,

I am not certain what the differences are between 8 and 9 ( I wasn't around for those versions) but Thomas Simmons, the author of the Step by Step book, has placed the version for AC 9 online for free download at his Archvista site. See http://www.archvista.com/pageview.aspx?id=18072

Perhaps that will help some.
Erich

AC 19 6006 & AC 20
Mac OS 10.11.5
15" Retina MacBook Pro 2.6
27" iMac Retina 5K