Installation & update
About program installation and update, hardware, operating systems, setup, etc.

ArchiCAD on touchscreens with stylus

Podolsky
Ace
Hi there,

I would like to raise the issues with ergonomics while using ArchiCAD on tablet computers with stylus pen. I know that this format is new for CAD, but with further development of Windows 10 and MS Surface Pro, tablets are going to be used more and more - because it's very comfortable.

I started to work on ArchiCAD on tablet and this is what I noticed. For right handed people using stylus is becoming a little bit problematic, because pen is covering cursor most of the time - for example when it showing snapping (pen cursor). I just cannot see it. The same with tracker - because of it's position in right upper side from the cursor - stylus just covers all information in tracker - then use of measurement tool becoming problematic too.

So all gestures and inputs need to be carefully tested on tablet and updated in upcoming versions. Or maybe even to introduce tablet mode in ArchiCAD.

Seriously - since I've got my MS Surface Pro - even if I have keyboard - I just stick to touchscreen, pen and virtual keyboards, and absolutely not willing to use any another inputs. I think this will happens to majority of people worldwide - they will switch to tablet computers.
4 REPLIES 4
Lingwisyer
Guru
I tried using ACAD for a while using a stylus and it was terrible. I use mouse binds and the scroll wheel functions way to much to be able to afford to lose them and that has been pushed further within ArchiCAD...

Podolsky wrote:
absolutely not willing to use any another inputs. I think this will happens to majority of people worldwide
The resurgence of mechanical keyboards in the past 10 years(?) would oppose this...

AC22-23 AUS 7000Help Those Help You - Add a Signature
Self-taught, bend it till it breaksCreating a Thread
Win10 | R5 2600 | 16GB | GTX1660 
Podolsky
Ace
Yes, I think that virtual keyboards will be used more and more. Virtual keyboard gives endless possibilities to show any language, any symbols, commands...

Also working with stylus and touchscreen board remains more using pen and notebook - how people been working for hundreds of years.

It's very comfortable to use on construction site too.

When I see progress that Apple is doing with iPads and possibilities on the new MS Surface Pro - I think yes, this is more comfortable technology. And don't forget about poor posture sitting all day with keyboard and mouse.
Lingwisyer
Guru
Podolsky wrote:
progress that Apple is doing with iPads and possibilities on the new MS Surface Pro

For sketch and markup work, work where you just need a pen and accuracy is not as important, sure. For work that requires some form of typing or a multitude of shortcuts and hotkeys, not so much...

Podolsky wrote:
how people been working for hundreds of years.

Sure, your lead designer could design everything like that, but if you want anything built, you are not going to meet any tolerances with that...

Ling.

AC22-23 AUS 7000Help Those Help You - Add a Signature
Self-taught, bend it till it breaksCreating a Thread
Win10 | R5 2600 | 16GB | GTX1660 
I only use Wacom products, i love my cintiq pro 16 touch. I can be ten times more accurate and much faster with my precision clicks. Add a game pad and boom maximum productivity.

I'll never not use a pen unless I'm trying to work less efficient