cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ArchiCAD25 bug on Monterey

VladGoo
Participant

Hello,

my ArchiCAD25 give me a bug when I exit from a project workspace since I installed new version, MacOS Monterey. Have you any idea when will come a update for Archicad who solve this problem or if it's ok to use the program in this condition? 

Best regards VT

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Solution
timdelheyeian
Contributor

Graphisoft US says that you need a version 40XX to run on Monterey. Graphisoft Germany says that such a version may be released next week. 

In general, Graphisoft US recommends to wait 6 months past the release of a new macOS before switching, which is impossible to do when you buy a new Mac as they can typically not be back graded. 

Certified Passive House Designer
ArchiCAD 25 (started with v4)
MacBook Pro (16-inch, 2021), Apple M1 Max, 64 GB, 32-core graphics

View solution in original post

Solution
Karl Ottenstein

@VladGoo  See this article:

https://community.graphisoft.com/t5/Setup-License-articles/MacOS-12-Monterey/ta-p/309154

As @timdelheyeian stated, some of the international distributors have suggested on their web sites that an update may be arriving in the next few weeks.

It has always been ill-advised to update to a new MacOS until Graphisoft gives the green light.  As Tim stated, this is a frustrating issue for people buying new Macs, as there is no option to have them delivered with the prior OS.

One of the forum moderators   •   AC 25 USA and earlier   •   MacOS 11.6.1, iMac Pro

34 REPLIES 34

Solution
timdelheyeian
Contributor

Graphisoft US says that you need a version 40XX to run on Monterey. Graphisoft Germany says that such a version may be released next week. 

In general, Graphisoft US recommends to wait 6 months past the release of a new macOS before switching, which is impossible to do when you buy a new Mac as they can typically not be back graded. 

Mhm... OK, I understand.

What does it mean 40XX? 😄

That refers to the build number. Each major version of Archicad (like 25 for example) has a build number for releases and updates. The current version for the US for example is build 3011. Apparently, it will take a build number 40XX (so a newer build with a higher number to be (more) compatible with Monterey.

Here is the original GS article: https://community.graphisoft.com/t5/Setup-License-articles/MacOS-12-Monterey/ta-p/309154/redirect_fr...

Screen Shot 2021-10-28 at 08.45.07.png

Oh! OK! Thank you!

Well your recommendation is to downgrade to Big Sur?

That is what Graphisoft US tells its customers. However, when you buy a new Mac for instance, you may not be able to downgrade the macOS. 

Solution
Karl Ottenstein

@VladGoo  See this article:

https://community.graphisoft.com/t5/Setup-License-articles/MacOS-12-Monterey/ta-p/309154

As @timdelheyeian stated, some of the international distributors have suggested on their web sites that an update may be arriving in the next few weeks.

It has always been ill-advised to update to a new MacOS until Graphisoft gives the green light.  As Tim stated, this is a frustrating issue for people buying new Macs, as there is no option to have them delivered with the prior OS.

One of the forum moderators   •   AC 25 USA and earlier   •   MacOS 11.6.1, iMac Pro

I have a new 16" M1 Max (on Monterey) coming next week. I will run it simultaneously with an older 16" (Intel on BigSur) and if I see anything of concern, I may post it here. I have run AC25 on an M1 MacMini (on BigSur) before and it worked okay. Since I updated that machine to Monterey, I have seen a couple of crashes.  Compatibility with Monterey appears to be the bottleneck here, as Apple's Rosetta seems to do a wonderful job translating Archicad 25 to AppleSilicon—as stated by Graphisoft support. 

I too have a 16" M1 Max showing up this week, so I will be sure to do plenty of testing and report back.  Such a bummer that my brand new machine will be relegated to a testing device!  

15" MBP 2.8 GHz Intel Core i7
16GB RAM OSX 10.13.6

27" iMac 4 GHz Intel Core i7
32GB RAM OSX 10.13.6

ArchiCAD 20 Build 8005
ArchiCAD 21 Build 5021
ArchiCAD 22 Build 3006

According to that article, “This problem does not affect the migrated or new projects, these files can be saved and used without further issues.”

Has anyone tested to know what that actually means? 

Eric Batte
Principal, MG Architects

I have mistakenly updated to OSX Monterey on M1 MacBook Pro. Both AC 24 and 25 are having serious issues. I can open existing drawings. I can work on them and save them. However you can't save as for any format file, you can't export PDF or DWG using publisher. When starting new project it can't be saved so only workaround is to copy existing file then rename it and work on it. Hopefully new versions of AC 24 and 25 resolve this otherwise it will have to be formatting the machine and reinstalling Big Sur.

Dear Sinisa,

Thank you for the report and I am very sorry to hear about the issue!

We tested this on macOS Monterey, but couldn't reproduce this. It looks like this is a machine-related problem. I suggest contacting your local support about this issue for further investigation.

Thank you for your understanding, and I hope that it will be solved quickly!

Best regards,

Minh

Minh Nguyen
Technical Support Engineer
GRAPHISOFT

After upgrading to Monterey OS we discovered an issue with the Open and Save dialog boxes. You might try the linked solution for save dialogs where as it also worked for a user that was having issues saving with Monterey and Archicad 25. Until Graphisoft releases an update try solving the issue with two Terminal commands as we describe in a Blog article we posted at this link >>

The problem is that the new M1 MacBook Pros come only with Monterey and there is no option to "downgrade" them to Big Sur. Last I checked Graphisoft was the official Apple developer. Graphisoft has access to all the pre-release versions of the macOS months before the release version ships.

For the money that Graphisoft charges for the annual updates they should be improving Archicad BEFORE the operating system is released. The update hot fix should be available as soon as the next macOS comes out. Telling everyone to "wait half a year" is not a very compelling proposition.

@pawelfiett  Supposedly, 25 Update 2, released today, will resolve some of the Monterey issues reported in the Monterey compatibility article.  (Strangely, nothing in the release notes even mentions Monterey.). If this is the case, then the "wait" has only been one week... as Monterey was only released last week...

Eduardo Rolon

Update 02 has just been released.

eduardo rolón AIA NCARB
Another of the forum moderators.
Macbook Pro 2.4 i9 32GB ram
OS X 10.XX latest
AC25 US/INT -> AC08

Karl Ottenstein

Download the most recent update (Update 2) to ARCHICAD 25 which is described in this article:

https://community.graphisoft.com/t5/Let-s-get-started/Archicad-Keeps-Getting-Better-Archicad-25-Upda...

Many new features have been added.  Surprisingly, this is the update which is supposed to address some of the MacOS Monterey compatibility issues, yet the article does not mention that.   Please install when the update is available for your localization and report back if Monterey issues persist.

PS (I cannot edit my posts in Safari - a forum bug that is being worked on) ... Check for Updates within AC 25 reports that I am up-to-date when I am not.  I had to visit the Graphisoft update site to download AC 25 Build 4013.  Select your localization/etc from the drop-downs:

https://graphisoft.com/resources-and-support/downloads?localization=USA&type=AC&version=25

Sinisa Lazarevic
Participant

Replies acknowledged. Update 2 downloaded and as issue persisted OSX Monterey fully reinstalled. AC25 appears to be behaving as expected. We now wait for update to AC24 to solve crash on quitting. Let's hope this is the last I see about this as my previous OSX Monterey repair only worked for about 2 hours when it all fell apart again and 4 hours restoring it all should be worth it. And then one of these years we might even see Apple M1 version appear.

Nguyen Minh
Graphisoft Moderator
Graphisoft Moderator

Dear All,

Thank you very much for the discussion about Archicad 25 on Monterey!

We have solved the Check for Updates issue, so you will be able to receive the update through this feature now. Please let us know if anything goes wrong!

Thank you very much Karl for pointing it out! Yes, Update 2 (40xx) will ensure compatibility for Archicad 25 with macOS Monterey. If you find any problem, I encourage you to report it immediately to your local support, as the problem might be related to the specific computer.

Feel free to let us know if you have any comments or if you encounter any unexpected issues with Archicad 25 on Monterey!

Thank you very much!

Best regards,

Minh

Minh Nguyen
Technical Support Engineer
GRAPHISOFT

Still looking?

Browse more topics

Back to forum

See latest solutions

Accepted solutions

Start a new discussion!