BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Installation & update
About program installation and update, hardware, operating systems, setup, etc.

Archicad 14 Freezes

Anonymous
Not applicable
I started using Archicad 14 last week. The program freezes inconsistently. I can work on it for most of the day, then it starts freezing. The next day it starts freezing within an hour after I first start using it. I open task manager and end program that way.

I went on the ArchicadWiki and could not find freezes like mine. I did find a thread talking about creating a dump file, but could not find where to send them. Each dump file is about 30 meg (3 total), so I did not attach them here.

I have updated the video driver to the most current version. My computer is older, but still meets the requirements to run the program.

If someone could let me know where to send these dump files, I would appreciate it.

thanks,
7 REPLIES 7
Karl Ottenstein
jballar wrote:
If someone could let me know where to send these dump files, I would appreciate it.
Before you send them... simply contact technical support, which is your 1st stop in a situation like this. If they want the dumps, or more, they'll give you an ftp address/etc. Have not heard anyone else mention issues with freezing up.

Curious though: how old? What are your machine specs? And is this a licensed copy (dongle), EDU, demo, or...?

Post back with what tech support figures out.

Good luck,
Karl
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
Anonymous
Not applicable
Thanks Karl,

I will post on what tech support says.

My system is 5 years old. it is a Pentium 4 with a 3.2 GHz processor and 2 GB of Ram. The video card is a Radeon X850 with 256 MB. I know the system is not current, and is scheduled to be replaced when funds become available.

I have a licensed copy of Archicad with a WibuKey hardware lock. I also have Cadimage Design Suite for Archicad 14.

Jeff
Anonymous
Not applicable
We had the same problem too. After a few hours we have tried no to have on screen the "border" rule with X and Y (which is available with the standard tool box).
Then everything came back without any freeze
Anonymous
Not applicable
I emailed Graphisoft tech support. They should respond soon, so I can send them the data for the freeze.

I thought maybe the autosave was triggering the freezes, so I disabled it this morning. I did not have a single instance until I went to save a layout to DWG in the organizer. Archicad froze, but this time it was different.

Before when Archicad froze, there was not CPU usage when I opened Task Manager. It was like it just quit working. Just now, when it froze, when I went to save to a DWG, Archicad froze, but this time it had high CPU usage and a Windows Process, called scrss.exe, also had high usage. I created the screenshot and dump files, as directed from troubleshooting. As soon as I manually ended Archicad, the csrss.exe file went back to 0 CPU usage. As soon as I hear back from Graphisoft tech support on where to send the dump files, then hopefully they can find out if it is my machine or something else.

I will keep everyone posted.
Anonymous
Not applicable
We also had freezes with a file where we pasted a DWG drawing. In fact the ruler on X and Y (around the 2D drawing window) could not recalculate the distances from the origin and was using all the CPU.
Anonymous
Not applicable
check out this new ArchiCAD wiki: FreezeWhileExportingDWG
Anonymous
Not applicable
I saw the troubleshooting area on DWG errors and fonts. I do not use the fonts listed (AventGarde and GreekC). The fonts that our firm uses are the following:

- Arial
- Architecture
- Eaglefeather (Frank Lloyd Wright collection)
- Rennie Mackintosh ITC (Frank Lloyd Wright collection)

All of the above fonts have been used with Archicad since Release 11 without problems. We originally used the Architect font, but it would not work in Publisher for PDF, so we switched to Architecture font, and have no problems until recently.

Graphisoft tech support received my dump information on the DWG freeze and the general freeze (what I started this post with).

Thanks for the input, and I will keep everyone posted.
Learn and get certified!