BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Installation & update
About program installation and update, hardware, operating systems, setup, etc.

Archicad 14 - SLOW!

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hey. Just upgraded Archicad 13 to 14. Opened up Version 13 project to update and it is SO SLOW!!!!! The longer i spend on it the slower it gets. 3D is worst, but also sections, elevations. What used to tale 1-2 seconds in vers 13 takes 15 to 20 seconds in vers 14. Can someone help please?
6 REPLIES 6
Anonymous
Not applicable
I have also experienced a drop in performance since upgrading to AC14, especially after installing the latest hotfix build 3477. I would even say that AC11 worked faster than this version.
The problem appears to be something with memory, but i dont know enough about this kind of thing., but trying to move a window or door you cannot always see it moving to where you want to place it, then without warning the plan updates showing it in the new position but takes an age in doing so. Also, during the same operation, a smaller scale 'screen shot' type of image appears over the main active window, it then kinds of hangs up for a while then vanishes. The whole thing is very irritating and tiime consuming. I hope some can help, please.
cheers.
Anonymous
Not applicable
I am still looking for anyone who is actually happy with AC14.

The topic of slowness and general unpleasantness of AC14 have been raised in more than a few discussions.

Personally, as much as it annoys me as the company has payed for it, I will not take my team onto AC14, its not worth the frustration.

So if anyone out there is working in 14 and is truly happy with it, and believes it is an improvement on 13, please speak up, and give everyone else some hope that it is not a total waste of time and money, and a big fat slap in our faces by Graphisoft.

Mike
Anonymous
Not applicable
Since my 1st post on this, I decided to upgrade from Windows Vista Business 32bit to Windows 7 Professional 32bit and it seemed to clear the problems that I was experiencing.
When I get chance I intend to do a clean install of Windows 7 Professional 64bit to allow AC14 to work more efficiently, as my hardware has 64bit architecture. When I've done this, I'll post again about any change in performance.
Anonymous
Not applicable
AC 14 has been improved in several spots which you won't recognize immediately.
There are shadows in OpenGL, but also the curved surfaces are improved. This might cause a relapse in the performance with the same hardware and drivers.

First update the drivers of your videocard. If you have tried many drivers beforeuse this free tool to clean leftover drivers: http://www.guru3d.com/category/driversweeper/
Secondly you can change the configuration back to the old AC13 way:
Set the "Enable Shaders" to 0 in the registry or preferences: HKEY_CURRENT_USER/Software/GRAPHISOFT/ArchiCAD(or)ArchiCAD-64/<ArchiCAD version>/OpenGL

HTH
Anonymous
Not applicable
I find 3D navigation in AC14 extremely slow and disturbing!

During Orbit mode movement some elements disappear and reappear 2-3 seconds after the mouse stops. This happens always when I open an AC12 file or older.

The only solution I found was to turn off Textures in 3d window settings options - Opengl now looks like Internal engine, but is still faster!

Master Script, I'll try your solution - I'd rather lose the new "improved" shadows! 😉
anyari
Graphisoft Alumni
Graphisoft Alumni
I can confirm Master Script.
First I suggest to change the registry: 3D model navigation speed will increase if you turn "enable shaders" to 0.
See http://www.archicadwiki.com/3dSpeed#ArchiCAD_14_3D_redraw_slow for more info.

Best regards,
Attila Nyari
Technical Support Team
Graphisoft
Learn and get certified!