Installation & update
About program installation and update, hardware, operating systems, setup, etc.

Archicad 15 Crash

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hey all.

I was wondering if someone may be able to help me with a bit of conundrum I am facing with archicad15. I recently installed the program on my home PC and every time I attempt to go into the 3d window it crashes, and sends a bug warning to graphisoft.

I don't understand what the issue is, because my home PC is light years more powerful than my workstation computer, which has no issues.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers, James
8 REPLIES 8
vistasp
Advisor
Since your home machine is much better specced than the office one, can we assume that you're not using on-board video?

In that case, first check that you have the latest stable driver for your video card.
= v i s t a s p =
bT Square Peg
https://archicadstuff.blogspot.com
https://www.btsquarepeg.com
| AC 9-27 INT | Win11 | Ryzen 5700 | 32 GB | RTX 3050 |
Anonymous
Not applicable
Thanks for replying vistasp.

It would seem that the drivers are up to date. I'm running the AMD Radeon HD 7800 Series graphics card, not built into the motherboard.

I wouldn't have thought generating a 3d view would provide any real issues for the system. As it run games in a high resolution. any other ideas?

Cheers.
Barry Kelly
If you change the 3D settings to use the Internal engine rather than OpenGL does it still crash?
Also does it happen on every file or just one in particular?
Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
Anonymous
Not applicable
G'day Barry,

The crash occurs on any file, no matter how simple. It looks like the file does not crash when using the Internal engine.

Cheers
Barry Kelly
Creech wrote:
The crash occurs on any file, no matter how simple. It looks like the file does not crash when using the Internal engine.
Then that would imply the OpenGL is the problem which is using your video card.
I would go to the AMD web site and get the latest driver and re-install it even though you say it seems to be up to date.
Maybe there are some settings you can change for your video card in Windows itself. Most cards have a configuration utility. Have a look and see what options you have for OpenGL.

Having said that some years ago I had a new PC (would have been back around 15 or maybe 14 - can't say for sure) but the only way I could get that to work was to actually install a video driver that was one version older than the current one.

But the latest drivers from the manufacturer have worked for me all other times and seems to help most people that have posted problems on the forum.

Barry.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Anonymous
Not applicable
OK, I'll give that another try. I'm having trouble with the AMD website trying to find the right driver for my software/hardware.

Could i also ask if anyone knows where in the windows 8 directory the tools for changing video card settings are?

Cheers.
Barry Kelly
Creech wrote:
I'm having trouble with the AMD website trying to find the right driver for my software/hardware.
This one?

http://support.amd.com/us/gpudownload/windows/Pages/radeonaiw_win8-64.aspx#1

Or if you go here you can automatically detect and download the correct files.

http://support.amd.com/us/gpudownload/Pages/index.aspx

Barry.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Anonymous
Not applicable
Thanks for all of your help. It was a driver issue.. For some reason the software wasn't installing as it should and i had to take a more manual approach. The AMD auto detect system couldnt figure out what model vid card i had or operating system.

But its all fixed now. Thanks all for your help. FYI my home PC kills my workstation, its amazing