Installation & update
About program installation and update, hardware, operating systems, setup, etc.

Archicad 17 Painfully Slow

Anonymous
Not applicable
Even for basic 2d work. Am using a Windows 7 (64 bit) Toshiba laptop, first generation I7 (1.6 ghz), NVIDIA GeForce 310M (512 mb) video card with only 4 gb memory. Works fine for AC 15 and AC16, but crawls to a near stop with the same file in AC17. I think the maximum memory for my machine is 8 gb. Any hope for better performance with a memory upgrade or would that just be putting lipstick on a pig?
52 REPLIES 52
Anonymous
Not applicable
Chuck,

Your scaring me. I'm about to upgrade from 15 to 17 @ $1,875.00 & tax.
Curious that no one has answered who knows. My guess is that the extra ram to 8 GB should make all the difference but am not sure.
The i7 is should not be the problem.
I'm on a core 2 quad Q9650 @ 3.00 Gh (5 years old) machine w/ 8 GB ram. I hope this will be enough for 17, I'm worried about it though.

Good luck,

Jon

Chuck wrote:
Even for basic 2d work. Am using a Windows 7 (64 bit) Toshiba laptop, first generation I7 (1.6 ghz), NVIDIA GeForce 310M (512 mb) video card with only 4 gb memory. Works fine for AC 15 and AC16, but crawls to a near stop with the same file in AC17. I think the maximum memory for my machine is 8 gb. Any hope for better performance with a memory upgrade or would that just be putting lipstick on a pig?
Anonymous
Not applicable
My main machine is also 5 years old but it is a MacPro with dual-quad Xeon processors and 32Gb of RAM. AC17 seems very snappy to me.

So far I have only used it on a small residential project so I can't be sure how it would do on one of my hospitals but I suspect it will be an improvement there as well.

It would be good to know if there are processors that actually perform worse with 17 or if it's just a matter of adding more RAM.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Matthew wrote:
My main machine is also 5 years old but it is a MacPro with dual-quad Xeon processors and 32Gb of RAM. AC17 seems very snappy to me.

So far I have only used it on a small residential project so I can't be sure how it would do on one of my hospitals but I suspect it will be an improvement there as well.

It would be good to know if there are processors that actually perform worse with 17 or if it's just a matter of adding more RAM.
Matt,
Do you know if dual-quad Xeon processors are roughly equivalant to core 2 quad? Just trying to evaluate if upgrading to 17 will be worth the investment without having to buy a new computer. Can't do both!

Best,

Jon
Anonymous
Not applicable
Jonathan,

My experience has been that the Xeons pretty much kick butt compared to anything else (which is why my 5yo machine is still serviceable).

My laptop is a pretty recent i7 so I don't have any current experience with the Core2, but the specs of the machine in your sig look pretty good. How old is it?
Anonymous
Not applicable
Matthew wrote:
Jonathan,

My experience has been that the Xeons pretty much kick butt compared to anything else (which is why my 5yo machine is still serviceable).

My laptop is a pretty recent i7 so I don't have any current experience with the Core2, but the specs of the machine in your sig look pretty good. How old is it?
5 years old - w/ brand new hard drives.
I just installed 17.
Chadi SAROUFIM
Contributor
Archicad 17 is extremely slow. It is impossible to open two files at the same time. This needs to be resolved as soon as possible.
-------------

Chadi Saroufim, Assoc. AIA

M. Arch & M. Urban Design, Partner

Idepconsult – Mounir Saroufim and Partners

ArchiCAD 23 INT

Windows 11
Marton Kiss
Graphisoft
Graphisoft
Chadi wrote:
Archicad 17 is extremely slow. It is impossible to open two files at the same time. This needs to be resolved as soon as possible.
Chadi,

we are sorry to hear about this performance issue. Do you experience this with all of your files or this appears to be specific to some?

Was the situation much better back with ArchiCAD 16?

Could you describe what is slow? E.g. to pan on floor plan or navigate in 3D, things like that.

Marton
Marton Kiss
VP, Product Success
GRAPHISOFT
Chadi SAROUFIM
Contributor
Hello Marton, I have using ArchiCAD since version 3, opening two teamwork files at the same time. Panning, copying and pasting is nearly impossible. Each command takes a lot of time and both files freeze after three minutes.
-------------

Chadi Saroufim, Assoc. AIA

M. Arch & M. Urban Design, Partner

Idepconsult – Mounir Saroufim and Partners

ArchiCAD 23 INT

Windows 11
Mjules
Mentor
Chadi wrote:
Hello Marton, I have using ArchiCAD since version 3, opening two teamwork files at the same time. Panning, copying and pasting is nearly impossible. Each command takes a lot of time and both files freeze after three minutes.
I have experienced the slowness of ArchiCAD 17 and this is very frustrating. On 2D Window, it's very, very slow...
Martin Luther Jules
AC 10-27 (Full)
Asus | 64 GB RAM | Windows 11