BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024

Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!

Installation & update
About program installation and update, hardware, operating systems, setup, etc.

Archicad 17 Painfully Slow

Anonymous
Not applicable
Even for basic 2d work. Am using a Windows 7 (64 bit) Toshiba laptop, first generation I7 (1.6 ghz), NVIDIA GeForce 310M (512 mb) video card with only 4 gb memory. Works fine for AC 15 and AC16, but crawls to a near stop with the same file in AC17. I think the maximum memory for my machine is 8 gb. Any hope for better performance with a memory upgrade or would that just be putting lipstick on a pig?
52 REPLIES 52
Marton Kiss
Graphisoft
Graphisoft
Mjules wrote:
I have experienced the slowness of ArchiCAD 17 and this is very frustrating. On 2D Window, it's very, very slow...
Martin,

for a quick test please check if trace and reference is turned on. Does AC speed up if you turn the trace off?

Thanks,
Marton
Marton Kiss
VP, Product Success
GRAPHISOFT
Mjules
Mentor
Marton wrote:
Mjules wrote:
I have experienced the slowness of ArchiCAD 17 and this is very frustrating. On 2D Window, it's very, very slow...
Martin,

for a quick test please check if trace and reference is turned on. Does AC speed up if you turn the trace off?

Thanks,
Marton
Unfortunately, AC doesn't speed up even if I turn the trace off. Cause this situation, I am obliged to work the both 2D and 3D separately. Fortunately, ArchiCAD offers the worksheet possibility !
Martin Luther Jules
AC 10-27 (Full)
Asus | 64 GB RAM | Windows 11
RandyC
Advocate
I am also experiencing a slowdown on archicad 17, labels seem to be one of
the culprits, hiding layer speeds up program , maybe there other layers that
effect the speed ?
ArchiCAD 4.5 --- 27 , Win 10 , dual monitors, 64 gb ram,Nvidia GeforceRTX 2080 TI, I-9
Eduardo Rolon
As a test turn on in Preferences the Legacy option. In one of my project the slow down was causes by using a Slab as an operator in an SEO.
Eduardo Rolón AIA NCARB
AC27 US/INT -> AC08

Macbook Pro M1 Max 64GB ram, OS X 10.XX latest
another Moderator

catrasca
Newcomer
I'm finding this a very frustrating problem as well. In the last week i have had 2 files that have been freezing constantly, one of which is a 259KB 2d line and drafting fill drawing for a client logo - hardly a complex model!

Any suggestions or resolutions?
Daniel del Nido
AC6.0-AC19 AUS; Windows 8 Enterprise 64bit
Anonymous
Not applicable
I'm also experience AC17 slowness ... even with small files, which had no problems in AC16.

This really need to be fixed ... quick .. now!
Anonymous
Not applicable
So far for me ac 17 has been an improvement. however even upgrading to the processor in my sig, i still have one slow ac 17 issue. When i have ac 17 open with any project, and on any machine (so far i have tested 5 all with different components and processors and this issues is apparent on every machine with any and all of my drawings) and i leave the ac 17 window to go check my email or look at a pdf, when i click back into archicad i have a 2 to 4 second delay before i can pan or select. sometimes if i pan fast enough i can skip the lag. that is until i stop panning then i have to wait 2 to 4 seconds for the drawing to be responsive. can anyone replicate this issue? i did notice that when i overclocked my processor from 3.5 ghz to 4.3 ghz the lag was only a split second and almost not noticable. it is very hard to be proficient when i have to wait for archicad everytime
Anonymous
Not applicable
Just to clarify my problem with AC 17.

After working a while in AC17 I will suddenly have a 2-10 seconds delay in zooming, paning, selecting, moving, opening menues etc. - making it almost impossible to work. Closing the file / AC17 and reopening AC17 with the very same file removes the delay, - but it will always reoccur after a while.

(Sysinternals process explorer shows that AC17 is not using a lot of CPU resources during this strange appearance.)
Marton Kiss
Graphisoft
Graphisoft
HAlm wrote:
Just to clarify my problem with AC 17.

After working a while in AC17 I will suddenly have a 2-10 seconds delay in zooming, paning, selecting, moving, opening menues etc. - making it almost impossible to work. Closing the file / AC17 and reopening AC17 with the very same file removes the delay, - but it will always reoccur after a while.

(Sysinternals process explorer shows that AC17 is not using a lot of CPU resources during this strange appearance.)
By any chance do you have more ArchiCAD instances open, when you experience this slowdown? We are in the middle of an investigation about a similar problem, but that is specific to situations where multiple ArchiCADs are running, and the Navigator/Publisher data is exchanged in the background.

Marton
Marton Kiss
VP, Product Success
GRAPHISOFT
gpowless
Advocate
With Hotfix 2 I have found about a 50% decrease in speed as well with every move in every window of the floor plan taking 5-15 seconds to refresh.

I have also had an open ticket for a problem that involves a 5-10 minute freeze after switching out of Archicad into another application and then back again. So far after many attempts the problem still persists. However,I have discovered that during the freeze if I disable my network adapter, Archicad releases much faster. It seems Archicad is searching for and can't find something on the network.

Please keep us all informed. This is bigger than just one or two people.

Thanks.
Intel i7-6700@3.4GHz 16g
GeForce GTX 745 4g HP Pavilion 25xw
Windows 10 Archicad 26 USA Full
Learn and get certified!