BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Installation & update
About program installation and update, hardware, operating systems, setup, etc.

Archicad 17 Painfully Slow

Anonymous
Not applicable
Even for basic 2d work. Am using a Windows 7 (64 bit) Toshiba laptop, first generation I7 (1.6 ghz), NVIDIA GeForce 310M (512 mb) video card with only 4 gb memory. Works fine for AC 15 and AC16, but crawls to a near stop with the same file in AC17. I think the maximum memory for my machine is 8 gb. Any hope for better performance with a memory upgrade or would that just be putting lipstick on a pig?
52 REPLIES 52
Eduardo Rolon
gplowless, just as a though turn your fills off to see if it becomes more responsive. We have a file were there is a fill that covers an area of a couple of acres and if we turn it on it slows the file.
Eduardo Rolón AIA NCARB
AC27 US/INT -> AC08

Macbook Pro M1 Max 64GB ram, OS X 10.XX latest
another Moderator

Barry Kelly
This is purely a guess but hands up if those having problems are running dual monitors.
This is what seems to be common looking at your signatures.
I only have a single screen and haven't noticed any problems apart from licence issues mentioned in another post ... http://archicad-talk.graphisoft.com/viewtopic.php?t=43564

Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
Eduardo Rolon
Single monitor in my case.
Eduardo Rolón AIA NCARB
AC27 US/INT -> AC08

Macbook Pro M1 Max 64GB ram, OS X 10.XX latest
another Moderator

Anonymous
Not applicable
Single Monitor.
Much slower than the same file in 16.
Very simple residential project.
Lags after clicking to a non-active building element, making it active. Especially noticeable in the 3d window. Seems to have to think about each building element after I click on it. If I click on a node to modify or move, it lags again. Adding a second or two to all my actions.
Click, sip of coffee, move. That sort of behavior...

My rig is overclocked to 3.8 ghz and should be fine. 16 runs very smoothly. 16 gigs of ram.
Running in legacy mode has same behavior.
Played with every graphics setting. Even 3d card settings. No change at all.

Yep, forcing me to slow down and smell the virtual flowers I guess.
Not fun.

Cheers
Anonymous
Not applicable
g.h.design wrote:
Single Monitor.
Lags after clicking to a non-active building element, making it active. Especially noticeable in the 3d window. Seems to have to think about each building element after I click on it. If I click on a node to modify or move, it lags again. Adding a second or two to all my actions.

My rig is overclocked to 3.8 ghz and should be fine. 16 runs very smoothly. 16 gigs of ram.

Not fun.

Cheers

Same thing here on a couple of iMacs. 2.8 GHz i5 8 GB 1333 ATI Radeon HD 5740 1024 MB OSX 10.8.4
It comes and goes though. Can't figure out why.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Barry wrote:
This is purely a guess but hands up if those having problems are running dual monitors.
This is what seems to be common looking at your signatures.
I only have a single screen and haven't noticed any problems apart from licence issues mentioned in another post ... http://archicad-talk.graphisoft.com/viewtopic.php?t=43564

Barry.

Nice try. Got 2 iMacs and the older one (mine) has a 2nd monitor attached. The newer single monitor slows down as well.
Anonymous
Not applicable
g.h.design wrote:
Single Monitor.

Not fun.

Cheers
I have the same problem. Takes 1+ second to select an element and see the info.
I also noticed a delay at every function at the toolbox.
This is not normal......
Anonymous
Not applicable
Might have a break through on the slowness problem. I updated my old USB Wibu key to the codemeter key. Speed of the problem file and all files is much better.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Marton wrote:
HAlm wrote:
Just to clarify my problem with AC 17.

After working a while in AC17 I will suddenly have a 2-10 seconds delay in zooming, paning, selecting, moving, opening menues etc. - making it almost impossible to work. Closing the file / AC17 and reopening AC17 with the very same file removes the delay, - but it will always reoccur after a while.

(Sysinternals process explorer shows that AC17 is not using a lot of CPU resources during this strange appearance.)
By any chance do you have more ArchiCAD instances open, when you experience this slowdown? We are in the middle of an investigation about a similar problem, but that is specific to situations where multiple ArchiCADs are running, and the Navigator/Publisher data is exchanged in the background.

Marton
After updating to hotfix 4005 the problem has disappeared. (And yes, I do often run multiple instances of Archicad.)
Anonymous
Not applicable
Same problems as listed above, slow to do anything, especially in 3d window. Moving nodes on a fairly simple mesh, 2-3 seconds lag between every action [pan, zoom, etc.].
Downloaded the 4005 hotfix and no difference.
Also seems to lag even worse if i bring in a DWG to trace over.

Hope there is a quick resolution or il be forced to jump back to 16, doing anything in 17 is very frustrating.

Also im running the educational version if that makes any difference.
Learn and get certified!