Installation & update
About program installation and update, hardware, operating systems, setup, etc.

Archicad 20 extremely slow in 2d

Anonymous
Not applicable
Can someone shed light on why Archicad would be so slow in 2d drafting. everything is lagging . Have to click several times to select objects. moving and panning very slow. I'd appreciate any feed back.

Archicad 20 lates build, MacOS x Sierra, MacBook pro 2016
13 REPLIES 13
Anonymous
Not applicable
Check your Mouse Polling Rate. Anything over 125 Hz slows 2D performance "immensely" down. How to check ? Depends on the mouse used.

If this did not help check the usual:

Is transparence sheet turned off ?

2D hardware acceleration turned on ?

2D antialiasing turned off ?

Had same Problem with new CAD 3D Connexion Mouse, standard polling rate 1000 Hz. Turned down to 125 Hz with extra software for the mouse and 2D performace went sky high (AC20 Build 3016).

There is something mentioned in:
http://helpcenter.graphisoft.com/troubleshooting/performance/archicad-20-performance-troubleshooting...

Please give feedback if this helped solve your problem, as 2D performance always seems to be somewhat of a problem in ArchiCAD.
Da3dalus
Enthusiast
We've been having the same problem, also Macbook Pro's (both 2015 Retina and 2016 Touch Bar).

Selecting an element, initiating a move, or snapping to a node delays up to a couple of seconds, infuriating when trying to draw a lot of elements. Sometimes a spinning beach ball appears.

It seems to get worse over the course of a day, and improves after a restart. Turned off Trace Reference, Cut Planes, Guide Lines, Snap Guides, even closed all tabs except the Plan window. It's a subtle problem, so I can't really say when it started.
Chuck Kottka
Orcutt Winslow
Phoenix, Arizona, USA

ArchiCAD 25 (since 4.5)
Macbook Pro 15" Touchbar OSX 10.15 Core i7 2.9GHz/16GB RAM/Radeon Pro560 4GB
Podolsky
Ace
I've found the solution to this issue. Turn on hardware acceleration for 2D. And turn off background updating. Both settings you can find in Work Environment.
Anonymous
Not applicable
This is kind of annoying and stupid problem. We recently bought this configuration:

Processor: AMD Ryzen 5 1600 3.2 GhZ
RAM: 16 GB DDR4
Video card: GeForce GTX 1070 8GB DDR5
HDD: ADATA SX9000NP

This is an almost 2000 euro computer and it still run like something veeery old. All the recommandations you wrote in the previous replies are tested and theyre was no result at all...my older configuration (6 years older) is doing beetter performence in 2D. There is something wrong and I don't know what. They must be some solution...i'm currently using Archicad 21 with latest updates. Does somebody find an answer for this problem?
Barry Kelly
One of my minions had a machine that was running slow the other day.
He had palettes undocked and dragged onto a second monitor.
Docking all the palettes and closing those not needed and restarting the machine made a big improvement.

Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
Anonymous
Not applicable
Barry wrote:
One of my minions had a machine that was running slow the other day.
He had palettes undocked and dragged onto a second monitor.
Docking all the palettes and closing those not needed and restarting the machine made a big improvement.

Barry.
What are those palettes and how to undocked the...I've never done this before and never met it like an issue
Barry Kelly
bonevs wrote:
What are those palettes and how to undocked the...I've never done this before and never met it like an issue
My guy simply had his navigator undocked and moved to a second screen.

I have also heard that if the Renovation palette is turned on and is free-floating it can cause slowness.
Turn it off if you are not using it.

If all your palettes are currently docked to the side of the main Archicad program window then this will not be the solution to your problem.

Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
Anonymous
Not applicable
bonevs wrote:
This is kind of annoying and stupid problem. We recently bought this configuration:

Processor: AMD Ryzen 5 1600 3.2 GhZ
RAM: 16 GB DDR4
Video card: GeForce GTX 1070 8GB DDR5
HDD: ADATA SX9000NP

This is an almost 2000 euro computer and it still run like something veeery old. All the recommandations you wrote in the previous replies are tested and theyre was no result at all...my older configuration (6 years older) is doing beetter performence in 2D. There is something wrong and I don't know what. They must be some solution...i'm currently using Archicad 21 with latest updates. Does somebody find an answer for this problem?
Exactly the same issue here, even after trying all suggested solutions. Currently using ArchiCAD 21 and 20, both having the same problem, even with empty files, when drawing first 2D lines, with all the default factory settings. You simply feel the constant delay, and I am talking about my PC which is powerful. On a few old PCs we have in office, its almost unusable.

If its somewhere in settings, default settings should be set to make the workflow as fluid as possible on any given machine. Maybe there should be profiles that set all the parameters as a bundle, for an old and slow PC or a new 2000eur PC.

I am also working on some old colleague projects in ArchiCAD 12.

I can tell you, ArchiCAD 12 is a BEAST when comparing 2D and 3D navigating and any command reaction speed. It's literally instant, even with very robust projects and even on two 10 year old PCs where our technicians are drawing some routine or less important projects by themselves. I'm aware that AC21 is way more advanced and diverse, but time is still our main resource, especially with minions who don't use any of the advanced functionality.

This is probably a question for another topic, but I'd like a suggestion:
which version would you suggest as the last very fast one, and most stable, for an older PC?

I could transfer minions to draw standalone small projects in it. I'm thinking about AC18, but I do not remember correctly, maybe it should be AC17. As I recall, somewhere over there was when the slowdown happened.
Dragan wrote:
Had same Problem with new CAD 3D Connexion Mouse, standard polling rate 1000 Hz. Turned down to 125 Hz with extra software for the mouse and 2D performance went sky high (AC20 Build 3016).
Haven't yet tried this though, I will experiment a bit with this, and update.

Cheers!
Maybe antivirus software? https://helpcenter.graphisoft.com/troubleshooting/performance/some-antivirus-solutions-may-dramatica...
Richard
--------------------------
Richard Morrison, Architect-Interior Designer
AC26 (since AC6.0), Win10