BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024

Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!

Installation & update
About program installation and update, hardware, operating systems, setup, etc.

Archicad 22 and 23 keeps crashing in my laptop

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi all, I have a problem with my laptop. I am trying to install Archicad 22 to my laptop (DELL Inspiron 15, 5000 series) and although the program is downloaded and installed correctly it never opened, it crashes all the time and I get the archicad bug message.

I contacted helpdesk in my country and they couldn't help me. I do not have a problem with the license key.

We tried also installing Archicad 23 but the problem is the same.

I really need the program but I really cannot find the solution. I read some info that may this have to do with laptop's graphic card? Is this something that can be fixed?

Any suggestions in case someone has encountered the same problem is really welcomed!

Many thanks!
13 REPLIES 13
Lingwisyer
Guru
You have hinted at it, but what are the actual specs of your laptop?

OS? Assuming Win10 given it's a recent Dell
Hardware config
Drivers up to date?
Sufficient harddrive space?

AC22-23 AUS 7000Help Those Help You - Add a Signature
Self-taught, bend it till it breaksCreating a Thread
Win11 | i9 10850K | 64GB | RX6600 Win10 | R5 2600 | 16GB | GTX1660
Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi,

Yes is has Windows 10,
Screen: Intel® HD Graphics 620, analysis 1920x1080, 60Hz

Info I see:

Intel (R) Core (TM) i7-7500U
CPU @2.70GHz 2.90GHz

RAM16.0GB (15.9 GB available)

Is that ok?
Anonymous
Not applicable
The integrated / on-chip graphics card is not up to the task of running Archicad, you need a dedicated graphics card.
Unfortunately your laptop does not appear to meet the minimum specifications for Archicad, refer info on Graphisoft website for info (https://www.graphisoft.com/support/system_requirements/AC23/)

Regards,
Scott
Lingwisyer
Guru
Should have gone with one of the upgraded models with the MX230, as though it may not perform the best, it at least meets the minimum spec. The i7 with the 4GB card is also the cheapest model by far on their Australian store at the moment, though their config options are a bit weird...

There is not really a way to use an eGPU with that laptop either...

I have seen AC22 run on a laptop with the older 520, which has similar performance, so you might get lucky if you check your drivers and such. I would not hold my breath for it though, as even then, the performance was not up for any decent work-ability.

Ling.

Minh Nguyen
Graphisoft Alumni
Graphisoft Alumni
Hi,

Thank you for your question and I am sorry about the issue!

As others have suggested, your computer is on the weak side to run ARCHICAD, however, this should not make ARCHICAD crashes at startup. Since this can be a graphics card related issue, first, please download the latest Intel GPU driver and installed it. The lastest Intel's driver can be downloaded here:
https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/29557?v=t

If you cannot install it, here is the guide to bypass OEM lock: https://www.howtogeek.com/343287/how-to-fix-the-driver-being-installed-is-not-validated-for-this-com...

Let me know if this helps with the issue!

Best regards,
Minh

Minh Nguyen
Technical Support Engineer
GRAPHISOFT

Anonymous
Not applicable
Dear all,

Thank you for your replies.

Dear Minh,

Thank you for the links you sent me. I will try and see. May I ask you if you know, whether it is possible to upgrade the existing laptop so that I could install ARCHICAD?

Many thanks!
Lingwisyer
Guru
Most laptops have very limited upgrade-ability, more so compacts ones which are essentially ultrabooks as most of the components are soldered on...

Minh Nguyen
Graphisoft Alumni
Graphisoft Alumni
Hi,

What Ling said is correct. Most laptops in the market have very limited options for upgradability. Most elements are soldered on the motherboard for a compact body. In your situation, although you can (possibly) upgrade your RAM and HDD/SSD drive, it only helps to improve performance rather than fixing crashes.

Let me know if updating the driver will help you in this case!

Best regards,
Minh

Minh Nguyen
Technical Support Engineer
GRAPHISOFT

Anonymous
Not applicable
HI. I've got the same issue trying to start archicad 23. I think it could be due to the last windows 10 update.
The program just shut down at the begining and no bug reports.
Is there anyone with this problem?? Does anyone know how to fix it? Is it necesary to reinstall windows 10??

Thnx
Learn and get certified!