BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024

Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!

Installation & update
About program installation and update, hardware, operating systems, setup, etc.

Archicad 22 causes Windows 10 permanent freeze

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi,

I have a problem with my copy of archicad 22. After a few minutes of work, archicad freezes. After some time more, a whole windows is stopping to response, I have to make a hard reset.
I have no idea what is a root cause of that.

Hardware requirements from https://www.graphisoft.com/support/system_requirements/AC22/:
Minimum hardware
Processor: 64-bit processor with two cores
RAM: 8 GB
Hard disk space: 5 GB or more is required for the installation
Graphics card: OpenGL 3.2 compatible graphics card
Display: A resolution of 1366 x 768 or higher

Recommended hardware
Processor: 64-bit processor with four or more cores
RAM: 16 GB or more is recommended; for complex, detailed models 32 GB or more may be required
Hard disk: installing ARCHICAD on a SSD (or Fusion) drive is recommended; 5 GB free disk space is required for the installation, 10 GB or more is required per active project
Graphics card: Dedicated OpenGL 3.2 compatible graphics card with on board memory of 1024 MB or more is recommended to fully exploit hardware acceleration capabilities. You can find a list of recommended graphics cards at: http://www.graphisoft.com/videocards
Display: A resolution of 1440 x 900 or higher is recommended
My hardware:
Processor 64-bit, 4 cores, 8 threads, Intel core i7 -7700HQ CPU @ 2.80 GHz
RAM: 8GB
Hard disk space: more than 5 GB (160 GB)
Graphics card:
- Intel HD Graphics 630 (integrated, 128 MB)
- NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050

Questions:
- Does my hardware meet requirements to work with archicad fluently? Especialy could someone say something about my graphics card compatilibilty?
- I forced in windows setting to use NVIDIA gpu only. How to check during work, if archicad uses right gpu?
- Had anyone have similar problem? Maybe something else can cause that problem.

Thanks in advance for any advices.

Br,
Gosia
6 REPLIES 6
Lingwisyer
Guru
How big are the projects you are working on? The min reqs are what they believe you can run a small project on.

Check ArchiCADs ram usage with the Resource Monitor while you use it.

GPU should be fine.

Ling.

AC22-23 AUS 7000Help Those Help You - Add a Signature
Self-taught, bend it till it breaksCreating a Thread
Win11 | i9 10850K | 64GB | RX6600 Win10 | R5 2600 | 16GB | GTX1660
Erwin Edel
Rockstar
You might have an object (window, door, object etc) that is trying to generate a floor plan representation that is stuck in an endless loop or dealing with a very complex 3D model that could cause this.

The RAM is a bit low if you intend to use the computer for rendering, but otherwise it should do ok with ArchiCAD22.
Erwin Edel, Project Lead, Leloup Architecten
www.leloup.nl

ArchiCAD 9-26NED FULL
Windows 10 Pro
Adobe Design Premium CS5
Anonymous
Not applicable
- 1 question: 15 mb
- 2 question. I checked yesterday. Freeze followed the memory consumption of the archicad at 700 mb. After a few minutes of work on the new project, freeze also takes place.
Lingwisyer
Guru
Following from what Erwin has questioned, does it happen in all projects?

Ling.

AC22-23 AUS 7000Help Those Help You - Add a Signature
Self-taught, bend it till it breaksCreating a Thread
Win11 | i9 10850K | 64GB | RX6600 Win10 | R5 2600 | 16GB | GTX1660
Erwin Edel
Rockstar
Could also be some 2D file that you've imported (or XREF). I once had a zoning plan where they went wild with a tree symbol that was made up of thousands of lines, most of them duplicated one over the other, that they freely copied around the whole area. This brought things to a crawl too.
Erwin Edel, Project Lead, Leloup Architecten
www.leloup.nl

ArchiCAD 9-26NED FULL
Windows 10 Pro
Adobe Design Premium CS5
Daniel Kovacs
Graphisoft Alumni
Graphisoft Alumni
Hello,

Next time you feel it slowing down, please open the Activity Monitor and look for a process called curl.exe. This is a process through which ARCHICAD communicates with web services (e.g. the BIMcomponents service), and if a proxy/firewall/anti-virus blocks it, it will keep trying to connect, and won't close until it did. After a while more and more of these processes can open and since they don't close they can stack up, and use up all the resources of your computer, making it freeze.

So, next time, see if you have a curl.exe process in the Activity Monitor. If not, then let us know and we can look into another direction. If you do, then you will need to put the curl.exe on the exception list of whatever is blocking it (e.g. the firewall).

Let me know how it went.

Regards,
Daniel Alexander Kovacs

Professional Services Consultant

GRAPHISOFT

For Troubleshooting and useful Tips & Tricks visit
Learn and get certified!