Installation & update
About program installation and update, hardware, operating systems, setup, etc.
SOLVED!

Archicad 22 crashing when opening on a HD monitor

dkaramaneas
Participant
Hi Everyone,

Has anyone come across an issue when archicad 22 crashes on start up when using a screen attached to a laptop?
20 REPLIES 20
Minh Nguyen
Graphisoft Alumni
Graphisoft Alumni
Hi Darren,

Could you clarify what the exact issue is? When you said "my drawing still won't open on the big monitor", which scenario is the correct one?

1. Archicad cannot start at all, on the laptop's screen or on the external screen
2. On the external screen, Archicad can start with the splash screen appear, following by the Start up dialog. When you click New/Browse, nothing happens. With the laptop screen, Archicad can run without any problem.
3. Archicad can start and create a new file, or open any project files. With one particular project file, it can't open.

Thank you very much!

Best regards,
minh

Minh Nguyen
Technical Support Engineer
GRAPHISOFT

Barry Kelly
If you can run Archicad on your laptop screen but not your second monitor, check the screen connections.
Make sure it is plugged into the GeForce card.
We had an issue with a laptop dock where the dock was connecting the screen to the built-in graphics card.
Can you connect directly from the laptop to the second screen?

Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
Darren Craig
Participant
Thanks Minh and Barry
That would be number 2 Minh.
If I start say 3 jobs on the laptop everything works ok and then if I plug in the other monitor and drag the drawings across all good.
However if the other monitor is plugged in from the start (and the hdmi cord runs from the laptop to the monitor Barry) the splash screen starts but the drawing won’t.
When I open the task manager to close down the program it is showing red and using a lot of power. The technician at Central Innovation in Auckland took control of my computer but couldn’t see what the problem was.
We sent him a diagnostic of the problem using a tool called sleepy and he was going to send it to you guys. I could email it to you?

Regards Darren
Minh Nguyen
Graphisoft Alumni
Graphisoft Alumni
Dear Darren,

Thank you very much for the information!

This suggests a graphics card driver. Either it is what Barry said (since the external monitor can still connect to the integrated graphics card), or there is something else messing with the connection.

However, if you have already contacted your local support, I would suggest continuing the process with them for a quicker answer. They will contact the headquarter if the issue becomes too complicated. I hope you'll have a solution soon!

Best regards,
Minh

Minh Nguyen
GRAPHISOFT

chrrev
Newcomer
Same problem with AC 24 4007 and my Dell G3 with external monitor... Cannot start AC on external monitor, it just gets to the Archicad file interface but just hangs, with part of the interface on the laptop scren and the main AC window on the external screen. Once it is in that state, I have to do a CTRL ALT del to end task, then disconnect the monitor to force the next start of AC 24 on the laptop screen...
If I start on laptop screen , move the AC window to the external monitor and then close, the next time I start it will remember the external monitor and so same problem all over again... I have to remember to bring the AC window back to the laptop before closing... HIghly annoying... Is it Dell or what?
Minh Nguyen
Graphisoft Alumni
Graphisoft Alumni
Hello,

Thank you very much for your report and I am very sorry about the issue!

Based on the description, I believe that the issue might comes from the internal graphics driver problem. Please make sure that the latest Intel driver is installed (currently 27.20.100.9316).

Please let me know how it goes!

Best regards,
Minh

Minh Nguyen
GRAPHISOFT

chrrev
Newcomer
Hi Minh,

Updated the Intel Graphics driver , same problem.
I also updated the NVIDIA driver for the GTX 1660ti card in the laptop...
Actually one monitor is attached to the HDMI port of the laptop - which is recognised by the GTX as an external monitor. The other monitor is attached to the USB C port and presumably functions off the Intel Graphics card.
Either way, none of these external monitors allow AC 24 to start on them. Only the laptop screen allows AC to start correctly.
Worth noting that the startup process when using the external screen is split in half - the main window opens on the external screen while the Navigator, Main toolbox and Info box are starting on the laptop screen... At which point it hangs... Please solve this, then Archicad is totally perfect 🙂 Also note I did do a preferences cleanup as well just to be sure. Weirdest problem.
Minh Nguyen
Graphisoft Alumni
Graphisoft Alumni
Hello,

Thank you very much for the answer! That's very unfortunate!

We will need to collect some more information for a deeper investigation into this case. As it might require some special information from your computer, I will send you a Private Message about what we need.

Best regards,
Minh

Minh Nguyen
GRAPHISOFT

Anonymous
Not applicable
I am having the same issue. Desktop is running an RTX 2070 and 2 identical monitors.
when using the "main" monitor or "default display" as noted in Windows Display settings the application opens fine.

If we try to open the application on the second monitor, spinning wheel of death and we are forced to force quit the program, disconnect second screen and open again on "main display".

Very weird problem. Any other ideas?
Minh Nguyen
Graphisoft Alumni
Graphisoft Alumni
7he1and0nly wrote:
I am having the same issue. Desktop is running an RTX 2070 and 2 identical monitors.
when using the "main" monitor or "default display" as noted in Windows Display settings the application opens fine.

If we try to open the application on the second monitor, spinning wheel of death and we are forced to force quit the program, disconnect second screen and open again on "main display".

Very weird problem. Any other ideas?
Hello,

Thank you for the report and I am very sorry to hear about the experience!

Based on your description, it sounds like the second monitor was not connected to the dedicated graphics card but the integrated one. I'm wondering if you're using a desktop or a laptop?
If you have an integrated graphics card, make sure to have its driver up-to-date.
If you connect the monitors via some type of dock, please try to connect them directly to the machine and see if the issue persists.

Looking forward to hearing from you!
Best regards,
Minh

Minh Nguyen
GRAPHISOFT