Installation & update
About program installation and update, hardware, operating systems, setup, etc.

Archicad 22 keeps getting stuck trying to fill Freehand curves

Anonymous
Not applicable
Whenever i try to fill in Freehand curves with the Magic Wand, archicad gets stuck/frozen.
Its completely unresponsive for a couple of seconds to minutes, then resumes totally normally.

The Freeze sometimes happens prior to filling in, sometimes the filling in works, but archicad gets stuck right after, and wont respond.

The project im working in is new, basically empty.
Is there a known fix for this issue?

Also as far as i can see, there is no increased load on CPU, GPU or Ram, in total about 500mb ram and 15 % CPU are used.

Kind regards
7 REPLIES 7
Barry Kelly
Can you show us an image of the freehand curve you are trying to fill?

Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
Anonymous
Not applicable
Yeah of course, no problem.
im aware these types of curves can be pretty complex to deal with, but im just wondering if its a bug or just inefficient/slow calculation speeds.

I attached a quick screenshot of an example curve. those are the kinds of shapes, around that number of "edges" , and oftentimes they cause a freezing/hard stuttering of archicad, while at the same time not putting more than 15 to 20% load on any part of the pc.
These stutters are not 100% reproducable tho, and can sometimes be avoided by first hovering the curve for a couple of seconds, but not always. sometimes the stutter happens after filling in the curve too, so that kind of doesnt make sense to me.

Thanks for the fast response, kind regards
David
Anonymous
Not applicable
okay, maybe that one was a bad example, seeing as it also wont fill the right way but nonetheless, it also causes these issues and is of comparable size to all the others.
i attached another screenshot of another curve thats causing issues, with taskmanager onscreen.
Maybe the problem is some setting i set in archicad?
kind regards,
David
Barry Kelly
I am not having any issues when I draw my own freehand splines.
However it is very easy to create loops and double nodes, so maybe that is an issue.
The magic wand may be having a hard time figuring out which nodes to follow.
Try using the magic wand to 'flood' the internal area, rather than clicking on the perimeter, to see if that makes any difference.
Or click on the perimeter if you are already flooding the area.

As I was playing around I just had a 'wait' cursor for about 20 seconds and then I could keep working.
I pressed undo and tried again with no problems.
Tried again 10 second wait.
Tried again no problems, and again no problems.
Tried one more time and now Archicad is frozen and I will have to force quit.

So maybe there is a bug there somewhere.
Barry.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Barry Kelly
When I reopened the crashed file, there was an error with a spline that was then deleted.
Must have been a different spline as this one was still there.

When I fill it again I still get a 10-20 wait cursor.
It doesn't matter how simple I try to make the freehand spline, there is still a wait after I fill it - but just for a few seconds.

It seems that the more complex the spline is, the longer the wait is after filling it.

If I magic wand a polyline onto the spline I still get a wait afterwards.
But then I can delete the spline and fill the polyline with no troubles at all.

Barry.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Daniel Kovacs
Graphisoft Alumni
Graphisoft Alumni
Hello,

I would say it is simply because of the complex splines - not only there are plenty of hotpots, but also they are curved, so they are made up of circles. This would explain why it freezes before, during and after randomly - generating the blue preview requires calculating the shape (and it probably also gets a bit hung up after creating the shape, as now there's a new shape that affects the magic wand preview).

I think you can speed this up if you simply go to 'Work Environment>Selection and Element Information', and turn off the Element Highlight for the Magic Wand. Please give this a try, and let me know if it speeded things up.

Also, if you don't need that level of detail, it is a good idea to simplify the curves into straight segments (Design>Magic Wand Settings...). Also, if you only experience slowness when generating the shapes, but everything works smoothly afterwards, you may just turn off the preview while creating the shapes, and then forget about the issue for the rest of the project.

I hope this input helps.

Regards,
Daniel Alexander Kovacs

Professional Services Consultant

GRAPHISOFT

For Troubleshooting and useful Tips & Tricks visit
Anonymous
Not applicable
It happens to me pretty much on anything that i try to use my magic wand on. I use it a lot with the fill tool and slab tool, does't matter how simple simple the outline is.