Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Manager!

Installation & update
About program installation and update, hardware, operating systems, setup, etc.

Archicad 23 Taking a long time to Save file.

dkaramaneas
Participant
Hi Guys,

The files are quite small but it is taking a long time to save.

Is there anything I can do to understand how to speed it up. I went through the archicad recommendations but does not seem to change much.
24 REPLIES 24
Barry Kelly
Are you using teamwork or is it a stand alone PLN?
Are you saving to a local hard drive, a network drive or a cloud drive?

Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
DGSketcher
Legend
What platform are you using? I have a fast Mac with AC24 and it can be irritatingly slow at saving PLNs and publishing modules. I am not sure if this is Mac related, when I was first running AC24 publishing MOD files was really improved, now after the latest Mac update it has slowed down again.
Apple iMac Intel i9 / macOS Sonoma / AC27UKI (most recent builds.. if they work)
dkaramaneas
Participant
Hi Everyone,

This is my platform all i am doing is saving a plan to the native hard drive.
Barry Kelly
It might be a MAC issue - I have not noticed any problems in the Windows world.

One thing I have done is to add exceptions to my anti-virus software for anything to do with Graphisoft.
i.e I have excluded the Graphisoft program folders and Graphisoft data folders in the user profiles.
I have no idea if something similar can be done on a MAC.
This has helped with speed issues in the past.

Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
dkaramaneas
Participant
Thankyou Barry. i just think its time to upgrade... my computer
Minh Nguyen
Graphisoft Alumni
Graphisoft Alumni
Hi,

Thank you for your report!

Saving/opening a file may not just rely on how fast your processor is, but it also depends on your hard-drive type. If you are still using an Hard Disk Drive (HDD) for saving the file, the bottleneck could be there. Solid State Drives (or SSDs) should be 3-5 times faster in reading/writing compared to HDD. The amount of RAM available for this process could also play some parts in this. If you run Archicad with many Chrome tabs opened, this could also slow down the saving process.

I hope this helps you with the issue!

Have a great day!

Best regards,
Minh

Minh Nguyen
Technical Support Engineer
GRAPHISOFT

DGSketcher
Legend
Hi Minh, I am on an 3.6GHz i9 8 core with 16Gb Ram and 512Gb SSD working on a 110Mb .PLN file and the save process not only for the PLN file but also each MOD file is painfully slow and a lot longer than I would have expected. Activity Monitor frequently shows Archicad as Not responding. I am using about 12Gb of my 16Gb ram. As I mentioned above on first install AC24 was flying on Save now it seems to crawl following the last Mac update.

I have just opened the file and the attached shows the memory report for Archicad, what troubles me about this is it is reporting 3 hangs already!? Having done no work and resaved the file it has now increased to 6 hangs and the virtual memory has jumped!!! Surely this isn't normal?
Apple iMac Intel i9 / macOS Sonoma / AC27UKI (most recent builds.. if they work)
Minh Nguyen
Graphisoft Alumni
Graphisoft Alumni
DGSketcher wrote:
Hi Minh, I am on an 3.6GHz i9 8 core with 16Gb Ram and 512Gb SSD working on a 110Mb .PLN file and the save process not only for the PLN file but also each MOD file is painfully slow and a lot longer than I would have expected. Activity Monitor frequently shows Archicad as Not responding. I am using about 12Gb of my 16Gb ram. As I mentioned above on first install AC24 was flying on Save now it seems to crawl following the last Mac update.

I have just opened the file and the attached shows the memory report for Archicad, what troubles me about this is it is reporting 3 hangs already!? Having done no work and resaved the file it has now increased to 6 hangs and the virtual memory has jumped!!! Surely this isn't normal?
Hello,

This is definitely not normal! We haven't received any similar record in our system so far. Could you please help me with collecting some sample process when Archicad becomes freeze? I placed a screenshot in the attachment, we need to do that with the ARCHICAD process. The longer the sample, the better! We need at least 2-3 samples when you encounter this slowness/freeze to be able to see the big picture here.

Please let me know when you are ready, and I will send you a link for uploading those samples.

Thank you very much for your help!

Best regards,
Minh

Minh Nguyen
Technical Support Engineer
GRAPHISOFT

DGSketcher
Legend
Hi Minh, Please PM me a link and I will upload soon. I have done numerous "Beach balled" Force Quits from AC24 caused during Publishing MOD files which have been reported through the bug system. I included my email in the reports but never had any response. When you say "freeze", do you mean just before I would do a Force Quit? I only ask because the hangs in my post above and what others seem to be reporting is AC doesn't always fully hang it just beach balls long enough to be annoying before it returns to normal.

Trevor