Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Manager!

Installation & update
About program installation and update, hardware, operating systems, setup, etc.

Archicad 23 Taking a long time to Save file.

dkaramaneas
Participant
Hi Guys,

The files are quite small but it is taking a long time to save.

Is there anything I can do to understand how to speed it up. I went through the archicad recommendations but does not seem to change much.
24 REPLIES 24
Minh Nguyen
Graphisoft Alumni
Graphisoft Alumni
HI Trevor,

Whenever you see the "beach ball" spinning, or when you see Archicad process becomes "Not Responding", that is the moment when we need to take the sample process. Ideally, please let the sample process run for 1-2 minutes. After a while, if Archicad cannot get out of the "Not Responding" status, you can save the sample and force quit Archicad.

If you Force Quit the process, unfortunately, the crash reports won't contain what caused the issue.
I'll send you a link via PM now!

Best regards,
Minh

Minh Nguyen
Technical Support Engineer
GRAPHISOFT

DGSketcher
Legend
Hi Minh,

With patience AC never freezes BUT I just published 9 module files and there is 6 minutes between the first and last save with intermittent beach balls, usually when the mouse is moved. Saving the host PLN file is taking 50 seconds.

I have also looked at the latest memory usage from the same session I started this morning. I now have 112 hangs and a virtual memory of 242GB!!!!!

I assume the sample process is only a snapshot and not a recording of what is happening?

Trevor
Apple iMac Intel i9 / macOS Sonoma / AC27UKI (most recent builds.. if they work)
Minh Nguyen
Graphisoft Alumni
Graphisoft Alumni
Hi Trevor,

6 minutes for 9 modules, each with ~2MB size is not too bad, it's actually quite normal, or even pretty good. For Windows, I notice that while the publishing process is carried out, between each file generation, there are some small/short "hang". The AC window became "unresponsive" for a while. It is interesting that the Activity Monitor can actually count how many times it freezes!

Regarding Virtual Memory size, I believe this shows the amount of disk space that can be used as RAM in case RAM runs out of memory. It should not reflect that AC needs that much VM to run. Could you please confirm this?

The process sampling indeed took a snapshot of the program (about 2-3 seconds, if I remember correctly). I did not make it clear earlier, sorry for that! If the slowness happens for 5 minutes, we can take snapshot of the process in the first 1-2 minutes (so between 5 or 10 samples would be enough).

I hope everything is clear now!

Best regards,
Minh

Minh Nguyen
GRAPHISOFT

DGSketcher
Legend
mnguyen wrote:
6 minutes for 9 modules, each with ~2MB size is not too bad, it's actually quite normal, or even pretty good.
Hi Minh,

I'm going slightly off track here but 40 seconds to save any file, let alone doing it on a fast machine is not "good". Because we have no in-place modules I am trying to use the Iceberg module management for nearly 100 modules. What you are saying is it's OK to tie my machine up for an hour if I do a full refresh of the modules? Bear in mind this doesn't include the time taken in then updating the actual HLMs. This level of performance is costing me money to the extent that I am starting to look at my options. I don't believe I am alone in this frustration and perhaps others tolerate it because their module requirements aren't so onerous but it certainly isn't a selling point in what is supposed to be class leading software.

Sorry, rant over, but please feel free to convey my best wishes to the Devs.

Trevor
Apple iMac Intel i9 / macOS Sonoma / AC27UKI (most recent builds.. if they work)
Minh Nguyen
Graphisoft Alumni
Graphisoft Alumni
Hi Trevor,

I see your point now. If that is the case, I believe we'll need the a file from you in order to replicate the issue in house, and compare the performance between your machine and ours. Can you upload your file (and also some samples process if available)? I will open a case in the system and have our developers take a closer look into it.

Also, could you clarify the performance between AC23, AC24 (freshly after installation) and the performance of AC24 now?

Thank you so much for your help, and I am very sorry for the experience!

Best regards,
Minh

Minh Nguyen
GRAPHISOFT

DGSketcher
Legend
Update: Minh has kindly advised that part of my problem appears to be the number of files listed in the Recent List" of the launch dialog. Mine was populated with over a hundred files, many as a consequence of Publishing MOD files and some no longer existing. Having cleared the list my save times appear to be dramatically improved. So if you start seeing the beach ball when saving it could be time for a clear out.
Minh Nguyen
Graphisoft Alumni
Graphisoft Alumni
Hi all,

Thank you Trevor for updating the news here, and thank you for your help with the investigation! I just want to add a small remark, that this issue should be fixed with the second update of Archicad 24. Please follow Trevor's advice if you encounter the same issue!

Have a great day!

Best regards,
MInh

Minh Nguyen
GRAPHISOFT

Miha_M
Advisor
I can report the same issue here. Archicad 24 is saving at normal speed, Archicad 23 is taking way too long.
Both saving on the same SSD drive. And this is not just one specific file, but all project files I am working on v.23, as I prefer finishing the project or at least a project stage on one version.

Could this be dongle communication related? I don't know when and how, but in one project file I noticed that one wall hung toilet got replaced (without and human interference) with the same element, but this time as a MEP library part. As I tried to modify it I got a warning that I don't have a MEP license and I should restart Archicad in demo mode. I did have a MEP library loaded at the time. Deleting that element and replacing it with a standard library element solved the problem, but saving times are a real problem, that needs a solution.

My Archicad usage is local, no teamwork files at the moment.

| Archicad 4.55 - 27
| HP Z840 | 2× E5-2643 v4 | 64 GB RAM | Quadro M5000 | Windows 10 Pro x64
| HP Z4 G4 | W-2245 | 64 GB RAM | RTX A4000 | Windows 11

DGSketcher
Legend
@Miha_M. My system is also local with no teamwork. Did you try clearing the recent list in the start up window?

The MEP aspect is one I can't help with other than to say I haven't had any issues.
Miha_M
Advisor
@DGSketcher
It does help. Back to normal, thanks.
It's not a dongle issue. While cleaning the project list I noticed, that there was a substantial time lag while deleting some, but not all, files, which are located on a NAS.
Maybe local network access has some issues?

| Archicad 4.55 - 27
| HP Z840 | 2× E5-2643 v4 | 64 GB RAM | Quadro M5000 | Windows 10 Pro x64
| HP Z4 G4 | W-2245 | 64 GB RAM | RTX A4000 | Windows 11