Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Manager!

Installation & update
About program installation and update, hardware, operating systems, setup, etc.

Archicad 24 6004 issues after update

Too Long
Enthusiast
I updated to the 6004 update and now have the following issues.

Cineware add-on crashes and I can not render.

Archicad is extremely slow when opening PLNs.
It is taking minutes for the PLN to open after the splash screen appears. This is with a template with all modules removed to make the file as small as possible.

Windows and Nvidia are up to date.

This happened immediately after updating to the 500x update yesterday and has continued after updating to the 6004 update today.

How can I fix this or how can I roll back to a 400x update?

EDIT:
I have reinstalled AC24 and not run any updates and it is working fine again.
I do not want to install the latest update because of the above issue. Has anyone experienced these issues with this update and how can I proceed to maintain and up to date version without these issues?

AC26 AUS Full
6 REPLIES 6
Barry Kelly
Too wrote:
EDIT:
I have reinstalled AC24 and not run any updates and it is working fine again.
I do not want to install the latest update because of the above issue. Has anyone experienced these issues with this update and how can I proceed to maintain and up to date version without these issues?

TIP: Duplicate your Archicad program folder so you have a copy of it.
Now install the update again and see how it goes (this will update the original program folder and not the copy).
If it does not work again then you can simply delete the original Archicad program folder and re-name the copy back to the original name and you will have your old version back without the latest update.

I have read that having a lot of files in the 'Recent' list can slow Archicad starting.
You can delete the old files in this list (i.e in the start screen) to reduce the number of files and speed things back up again.

Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
Too Long
Enthusiast
Thanks Barry, I'll try the backup folder next time I update.

Regarding the recent list: The slowness only happened after the update. Previously, (with the same number of recents in the list) this didnt happen.

AC26 AUS Full
Barry Kelly
Too wrote:
Thanks Barry, I'll try the backup folder next time I update.
Give it a go now.
You can have as many copies as you like if you have the hard drive space.
You never know, re-installing the update may work this time.
If not you know it is definitely the update, then report it to your local support people.
I have a few as you can see.
You just have to re-name folders to use them automatically (so you can swap around if you want) - or manually run the 'Archicad.EXE' folder you start the one you want.
Or set up shortcuts to each build number.

Too wrote:
Regarding the recent list: The slowness only happened after the update. Previously, (with the same number of recents in the list) this didnt happen.
Sometimes old bugs come back.
I am not sure if this was ever supposed to have been fixed in an update or not.

Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
Minh Nguyen
Graphisoft Alumni
Graphisoft Alumni
Hello,

Thank you very much for sharing the issues and I am very sorry about the experience!

For the CineRender crashes, there could be a few reasons that might cause this. In most cases, the Cineware.exe was not running when rendering was initiated. We have the following investigation steps to identify the issue:

1. Can the user render anything?
- Yes, but after a few renderings it fails: maybe Cineware.exe has quitted or crashed. Please see the 3rd step
- No: See next step.

2. Was the user able to render something in the past?
- Yes: probably a Windows update somehow ruined the dependencies. Please try to reinstall the following Redistributables: https://helpcenter.graphisoft.com/knowledgebase/73567/
- No: See next step.

3. After starting Archicad, check whether the Cineware process is running in Task Manager. Did Cineware process start with Archicad?
- Yes: If AC starts up with Cineware, but the rendering process dies silently or perhaps upon a "Cineware by MAXON add-on has unexpectedly closed" warning, it's possible that Cineware faced problems in communicating with your graphics card's driver, or an antivirus program killed it.
- No: If Cineware is not running, it might have a problem starting up. We have a special script for this issue. Please let us know if this is the case.

Regarding the slowness at startup even in the latest update, there could be multiple reasons: outdated graphics driver (especially if you have integrated Intel GPU), trouble with finding a license, or antivirus blocking. We also have a special tool for diagnosing Archicad freeze issues. Please let me know if you are interested in further investigation!

Looking forward to hearing from you soon!

Best regards,
Minh

Minh Nguyen
Technical Support Engineer
GRAPHISOFT

Too Long
Enthusiast
Hi Minh.

What I have discovered is that upon installation or update Windows adds "inbound Rules" to Defender and these rules are causing the start screen crash and the render issue. This is windows by default.
Disabling these rules dosn't help but deleting them does. I disabled each rule individually before opening Archicad but experienced the same crash each time.
Deleting all of the rules created upon install or update resolved the issue.

Also, running a VPN whilst opening AC for the first time after install or update (after deleting the Defender rules) will also cause the same crash and render issues. I don't know if its a contributing factor to the original issues or a new problem causing the same result but if I turn off the VPN when opening Archicad for the first time everything works fine including opening Archicad with the VPN turned on for each time thereafter.

When opening Archicad for the first time (with the VPN turned off) Defender will prompt to allow a connection, allowing these connections will create inbound rules but these rules don't cause any issues. Ive also noticed that fewer rules are created in this process so maybe having the VPN turned on during install/update is the cause.

Maybe there is a need to install or update archicad with VPNs turned off. This is the only scenario I havnt run.

Barry, Ive backed-up the folder and luckily havnt had to use it given the above solution.

Thanks for your help and responses.

AC26 AUS Full

Hi Minh!

I have the same issue (Windows 11, Archicad 26, CZE version, student license) and tried all the reccomendations, even reinstalled the whole computer but nothing has helped. I am quite desperate now. I have also answered "no" to your 3rd paragraph and want to ask if I could get the special script you are mentioning, please.

Regards,

Petra