Installation & update
About program installation and update, hardware, operating systems, setup, etc.
SOLVED!

Archicad 25 and Monterey

R Muller
Enthusiast

My 2016 MacBook pro laptop is dying; the battery is bulging and the keyboard is wonky.  I am glad it lasted until today, when Apple announced the new version of the MacBook pro, so I can get a new laptop that won't be immediately obsolete.

Of course, the new laptop is only available using the new Monterey operating system.  So I will have no choice but to upgrade as soon as I get the new laptop.  Maybe my dying laptop will last another month or two, but I can't count on it.

Can anyone give me an update of how long it will take to check out Archicad on the new OS?  I would appreciate any feedback about current known problems with the Monterey OS or with the new mac hardware.

R Muller
AC 26 USA (20+ years on ArchiCAD)
MBP 64GB Apple M1 Max OS 12.1 Monterey
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin

You should refer to this article. Any news from Graphisoft about Monterey compatibility will be published in that article as things develop:

https://community.graphisoft.com/t5/Setup-License-articles/macOS-12-Monterey/ta-p/304212

Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
Solution
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin

You should refer to this article. Any news from Graphisoft about Monterey compatibility will be published in that article as things develop:

https://community.graphisoft.com/t5/Setup-License-articles/macOS-12-Monterey/ta-p/304212

Thanks, I have seen that article.  I hope there may be at least some interim reports for those of us who may have to make decisions soon about new hardware that forces it's use.

R Muller

I have Monterey Beta installed on a relatively old machine - 2015 Macbook Pro. Archicad 23 works, albeit with a few bugs and crashes. It could be the fault of beta. Up until last week everything worked fine. The crashes began after the latest beta update. I can also see now that AC23 launch takes a longer time. 

AC26 ARM // MBP M2 Max // Twinmotion | Corona | Rhino

www.senoglu.dk

The article states that:

Please note that Archicad 23 and earlier versions will not be compatible with the next-generation operating system.

Ralph Wessel
Mentor

Re your 2016 machine. The (butterfly) keyboard design for these machines is faulty and Apple will replace it for free. Every machine we have of that era has had a keyboard replacement and some have had two. It's a complex operation because the whole laptop is glued together - in some cases Apple has simply replaced with whole laptop because taking it apart damaged the motherboard and/or display. 

Also, the battery shouldn't be bulging so quickly - that might also be defective.

I strongly advise that you take that machine into the nearest Apple Store and get them to sort it out - it may well be completely free and it will feel like a new machine.

Ralph Wessel BArch
Jman
Booster

Archicad 25 works fine on my mid 2019 MacBook Pro with Monterey V12.0.1. Unfortunately quitting A25 ends up with crush every time. M1 Mini with Monterey V12.0.1 and A25 works much better quitting crush happening much less but I didn't experienced any other problems.

user since A3

Thanks, Ralph.  You are right, Apple will fix many of the 2016 machines, but unfortunately my laptop wasn't on the list of serial numbers that they will fix.  I have already had the battery fixed once, and now it's starting to bulge again (but not as bad as the last time).  But anyway, after 5 years, I think I am due for a new laptop.  Just worried that I may have to rush it more than I would like, since I would rather wait a few months after the new equipment and operating system are out and other folks have found most of the bugs.

R Muller

Jman, thanks for the info.  I feel better knowing that if I need to upgrade suddenly, 

folks like you haven't had a lot of problems.  I saw somewhere else on this forum that the file gets saved correctly before the crash on quitting.  Is that true for you?

R Muller

I am saving and closing projects before quitting A25 on Monterey this way you don't have to deal with crush files. I am suspecting that new licence manager have something to do with crush quitting Archicad but I might be wrong.

My laptop died 2 months ago on weekend one day before deadline on one of the projects, so the only solution for me was to get new computer, I had to buy off shelf model without any added gadgets. I did took the risk and bought M1 Mini 8GB Ram $699. I was expecting slow and unreliable work, but It surprise me with speed and reliability I did finish the project 1.2Gb master file with 450Mb modules. It works fine with 2 screens 4K and 5K and Twinmotion. My laptop has been fixed since, but I prefer work on mini and as soon as Apple release new line of laptops, I did trade in my old laptop for the new with M1 Max. I am sure that A26 will be made for M1 chip, so Intel Mac is already history. If you need to pay to fix you laptop, I would spend those money on the new Mac and forget the old one.

user since A3