Installation & update
About program installation and update, hardware, operating systems, setup, etc.

Archicad 25 crashes when opening sketchup file

rembaforfun
Participant

Hello everyone 👋,

I am having a problem. Lately I got a new computer and with that installed all of my programs again. Since then I can´t open .skp files because everytime I do Archicad crashes. I tried to open the same file on my old laptop and it was fine. 

I tried to deal with this by restarting laptop, reinstalling Archicad but nothing helped. I have windows 11 and Archicad 25 edu license. 

The bug is: AC25-2022-09-07-14-37-55-1705

How do I fix it ? 

Thank you I would really appreciate help and sollution because It is essencial in my workflow

9 REPLIES 9
Eduardo Rolon

Only option I can think of is that either the SKP file is "unwieldy" for AC and it runs out of memory or that AC needs an update or that the SKP model is very far from the origin.

Model a box in SU and then try to import it to see if that one goes thru. 

Eduardo Rolón AIA NCARB
AC27 US/INT -> AC08

Macbook Pro M1 Max 64GB ram, OS X 10.XX latest
another Moderator

Yes a simple box is fine, but anything more complex crashes. But as I said before I tried to import the same model on my old laptop (worse specs) and it was fine. It is not even somethink too complex just a house but for unknown reason it crashes every time.

I tried it with different models and different SU file versions (2019, 2018, 2017 ...) nothing changes. I also reinstalled AC multiple times. 

Barry Kelly

So your old laptop was Archicad 25 as well?

If you open the SKP file on your old laptop and save that as a PLN, then can you open that PLN on your new machine?

Barry.

One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11

yes also AC 25. I could do that but It isnt very efficient, to drag everywhere 2 laptos, just because of some bug. I would like to figure out why is this happening and fix it somehow. 

The new laptop is HP OMEN 16-b0002nc it has RAM 32GB, RTX 3070, intel i7 8core 11th gen. There shouldn't be a problem with performance when the older laptop had no problem with importing these files. 

I was just curious if you saved the SKP as PLN on old laptop, would it open OK on the new laptop.

If so then it isn't a problem with the model.

It is either the SKP importer (converter) which I would assume is the same.

Or maybe it has something to do with the new laptop being Windows 11 and the old Windows 10?

Or was the old laptop Windows 11 as well?

Barry.

Versions 6.5 to 27

Has the new laptop been set up in the video card settings to use the RTX card for Archicad program rather than the built-in graphics card?

Barry.

Versions 6.5 to 27

It is like you write. The one has W11 and the old W10. Do you think it will fix itself with an update ?

Yes I checked on NVIDIA control panel.